Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all. Just got my ppq m2 4" today and plan to put some rounds through it tomorrow. I have two extra mags already ordered, and will likely upgrade the polymer sights with trijicons. My question to those of you with a little more experience than me, is whether or not upgrading the polymer guide rod and recoil spring makes any noticable noticeable difference. I do pretty well with managing recoil so it wouldn't be because i cant handle that, but i have heard some talking about getting better groupings with that particular upgrade. I am not a competition shooter, but love shooting in general. So if i can gain any advantage to help improve my accuracy beyond practice, i will take it. Thanks, and happy shooting to you all!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Since the accuracy of the gun is already in the top 10% for striker 9mm's, and the functioning is pretty much 100%, not much to be gained, particularly by changing a part with only tangental impact on either.

Spend the money on range ammo and you will satisfy your function concerns and probably become a better shot in the process.

There's funny video about a customer bringing his 1911 to Jim Clark's shop and Clark removing the guy's tungsten guide rod and throwing it in the trash as being superfluous.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Before deciding on replacement parts for you pistol I strongly suggest that you shoot it for more than 200 rounds. People seem to gravitate to steel recoil assembles with no viable evidence that they are beneficial. Walther makes good guns that are engineered for performance. You night trust them.

if you steel recoil rod you will simply be replacing a polymer rod with steel. The spring will be the same. The rod is a guide for the spring not a support, It is exposed to very little force during recoil operation..

How many Walther OEM recoil assembly failures can you find in this form? Save your money and buy ammo for practice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, put 200 through her today. Shot like a dream. At 20ft i was getting really good groupings for me. Definitely going to replace the sights. They arent horrible, but like the trijicons. And i know that the ppq has almost zero failures on that polymer rod. Was just curious what you all think. As for now, i will put my money towards more ammo. This thing shoots like a dream! Made a barely average shot like myself, look way better than i really am. Thaks for the advice! Cant wait to shoot this thing again. Happy shooting all!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Like previous responses, the guide rod just keeps the recoil spring in place and from binding up. The only benefit, although minuscule, a SS guide rod will add a little bit of weight, and may help with perceived recoil, although minuscule.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
>>Made a barely average shot like myself, look way better than i really am<<

LOL...I said the same thing about my 5" PPQ! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
For the PPQ, Walther suggests replacing the guide rod/spring every 4,500 rounds (as per video on their website), as well as the extractor, extractor spring and the slide release spring. At that time, you can revisit this issue. Until then, just enjoy the PPQ as built!

·
Registered
19 Posts
For the PPQ, Walther suggests replacing the guide rod/spring every 4,500 rounds (as per video on their website), as well as the extractor, extractor spring and the slide release spring. At that time, you can revisit this issue. Until then, just enjoy the PPQ as built!
Might have to look into that. I've got over 8,000 through mine and I've never given it a second thought to be honest.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I did a comparison on 4guide rods with video etc. . Anyway Thorpe results were as follows:

1.DPM guide rod was fastest and best recoil reducer

2.SS guide rod was second and 22% slower/reduction than DPM

3. BT guide rod was third 44% less speed,and reduction than the DPM

4. The stock,guide rod was 88% less than number 1.
That said these are hundredths of seconds in difference and I doubt very many would notice the difference. If you want to change it up there are the above the SS guide rod is cheaper than 1&3.
J

·
Registered
9 Posts
What does BT mean? (Number 3) Does it means tungsten recoil guide? And what about muzzle flip, have you noticed any difference?

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'm sorry, but I find it amusing that lately there are so many who 'just bought...' then immediately jump to modifications.

If think a guide rod going to make you shoot better, go for it. I'd spend money on ammo and practice before modifying a new pistol.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I'm sorry, but I find it amusing that lately there are so many who 'just bought...' then immediately jump to modifications.
If think a guide rod going to make you shoot better, go for it. I'd spend money on ammo and practice before modifying a new pistol.
Some people look for the easy way to see improvement and don't want to put in the hard work to get there.

·
Registered
381 Posts
BT is a guide rod company. As for muzzle flip the two top ones do help with the flip, however how you hold the pistol is most important. Since you are just starting out if you want to change the guide rod I would suggest the top 2 either one works as advertised.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you. Yes, I have a hard time with proper holding my PPQ. I have smaller hands and my thumb knuckle doesn't fit very well under the beavertail. I shooted CZ P10C and pistol fits in my hands much better. If steel can help, tungsten as well. I bought talon grip and installed it yesterday, I hope it will help too. Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
381 Posts
Mark,did,you change the backstrap try both the small and medium one may work for you better than the other , but try the different back straps and see if that’s a help. Also if it does not do the trick I would suggest the DPM system as it will most likely benefit you more.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, I did. And medium fits best for me. With the small one I don't have enough space for support hand. I have recently added talon grip (the granulate one) and it's way better. (Now I starting to consider shooting gloves) 🙂 On the left hand only 😅

1 - 16 of 16 Posts