Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone a week or so ago posted the Walther part number (or was it the S&W part number, not sure. I've done a search but can't find the information. Can we have an encore? I believe these are the same as the plastic design sights but in steel. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
#2677903 metal sight set, drift adjustable 3 dot front and rear..... $79
#2679696 Tritium sight set, drift adjustable 3 dot green $99
at some point Walther offered green/orange drift adjustable night sights too

info is from the 2006 Walther Distributor price list..... so if you call Waltheramerica they should find it with that

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
#2677903 metal sight set, drift adjustable 3 dot front and rear..... $79
#2679696 Tritium sight set, drift adjustable 3 dot green $99
at some point Walther offered green/orange drift adjustable night sights too

info is from the 2006 Walther Distributor price list..... so if you call Waltheramerica they should find it with that
Much thanks. Exactly what I was looking for.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am going to use my P99c 9mm primarily as a range/fun gun. I carry my P99c in 40 SW and it has tritium night sights so I thought I would just get plain Jane (non-Tritiums) metal sights for the 9mm. And I don't want to do any more sanding of Meprolights. Plug and play for this old boy. I now have Earl's Tritiums on my .40. The weren't cheap but yes to plug and play. :)

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess so according to Uncut. How are the different from Earl's? Anyone? Uncut?

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
the factory night sights are drift adjustable only
so you have a roll pin that goes into the sight to hold it in place and you need to adjust them with a brass punch like many drift adjustablke sights

Earl's are drop in sights that are still windage adjustable with the 'click screw" like the original sights ( I don't have any night sights so I am not 100% on Earl's)

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the factory night sights are drift adjustable only
so you have a roll pin that goes into the sight to hold it in place and you need to adjust them with a brass punch like many drift adjustablke sights

Earl's are drop in sights that are still windage adjustable with the 'click screw" like the original sights ( I don't have any night sights so I am not 100% on Earl's)
Thank you uncut. Sounds like even with the sanding, the Meprolights may be the better option. And I forgot that at least with the plastic sights you have a choice of front sight heights. I don't suspect this is true with the factory metal sights. I really do like Earl's sights because they are drop-in and well-made. The downside is the price but like anything else, what price do you put on your time. Plug and Play is good. Sanding is bad, well, time consuming anyway and I'm getting lazy in my old age. Interesting that we don't hear from any P99 Trijicon brand users? How do they tend to fit on the P99's?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
David, good that Earl will install but they are a piece of cake to do yourself. All you need is an inexpensive hex nut tool (same one you use to install a Glock front sight), a little red (some use blue, I prefer red) Loctite applied to the front sight screw, and you are home free. With Earl's drop in, plug and play night sights, the job should take you no more than 10-15 minutes, max. Unlike the Meprolight where you can expect to do some fitting of the rear sight, the rear Earl sight slides right into the dovetail as is.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
David, good that Earl will install but they are a piece of cake to do yourself. All you need is an inexpensive hex nut tool (same one you use to install a Glock front sight), a little red (some use blue, I prefer red) Loctite applied to the front sight screw, and you are home free. With Earl's drop in, plug and play night sights, the job should take you no more than 10-15 minutes, max. Unlike the Meprolight where you can expect to do some fitting of the rear sight, the rear Earl sight slides right into the dovetail as is.
I thought you would like the Earl's sights!:)

Yes, they are easy to install thanks to JEnglish and his video on the subject. I was glad to have that as a guide! As I stated somewhere else, I used Guntite with good results. I always thought you had to use heat to break the Red Loctite and I didn't want to mess with that.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thought you would like the Earl's sights!:)

Yes, they are easy to install thanks to JEnglish and his video on the subject. I was glad to have that as a guide! As I stated somewhere else, I used Guntite with good results. I always thought you had to use heat to break the Red Loctite and I didn't want to mess with that.
No with the hex wrench tool, the front sight comes off very easily even with dry red Loctite on the threads. Not to worry. It's when folks smear red loctite on the REAR dovetail to hold the REAR sight in place that things become problematic. And you are correct - in this case heat has to be applied to remove the Loctite residue or you can try chipping it off with a brass punch/brush but it's a tedious job even when you let it soak in solvent for a while. This is the reason I caution folks who want to put XS sights on. The rear XS sight relies heavily on red Loctite (supplied with the site) to hold it in place. That's fine until you want to remove the sight the XS rear sight retaining screws make it even worse. You won't be able to unscrew them once the Loctite cures. You'll have to shear them off with a sight pusher or a punch, vice and hammer. Trust me. I've been through all this. Not fun.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts