Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I've shot USA Forged with no problem but never Russian Ammo.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why put crappy ammo in a great gun?

Which is not the question I asked; but in answer to yours - to see if the gun can handle such ammo. I have seen Glocks digest tons of Tula, Wolf and other steel case ammo without a whisker of a problem. Surely the P 99 is as tough as the Glock? Walther says it is a great pistol and one of their best. I strongly suspect it is as tough as the Glock. I know the PPQ is; and have no problem running steel case in it.
If you check with CZ they will tell you that is ok to run steel case in all of their pistols except one (- I forget which one but is probably their competition pistol ) - excluding their 1911s which I did not ask about. ( Although during WW II we turned out plenty of steel case ammo for the 1911 and I never heard of any problems with it).
If you check the Ruger manual, it will tell you that is ok to use steel case and aluminum case ammo in their 1911s. They make tough pistols. Their 1911 lightweight does not like Tula so I will try Wolf next and see how that operates in it. No problems with brass case.
HK will tell you to use only brass case ammo in their pistols ( although I think the HK USP will do just fine with steel case). It is one tough pistol being used forever in some third world countries with little, if any, maintenance for years; and I know the HK P 2000 will easily digest aluminum case from talking to people on that forum. Custom manufacturers of the 1911 ( Wilson, Nighthawk, Les Baer, Ed Brown) will tell you to only use brass case ammo and have a heart attack if you mention steel case ( LOL).
When I talk of great guns, I think of my custom 1911s and not my polymers, although I love the polymers also. They are probably tougher than the customs. But in the real expensive guns I am not going to use anything but brass case. Too many $ invested there. I did fire 3,000 + rounds of aluminum case ammo in a light weight Wilson 1911 once before the ejector broke on me. No big deal - easy fix and maybe it would have broken with brass case - who knows. My 1911 Kimbers I have no problem firing aluminum case in.
I may conduct an experiment with a Springfield armory mil spec 45 one day and see how much steel case ammo it will digest before it breaks. Love to do those sort of things. I would bet the pistol will surprise me. Like I said I am acurious person. Maybe a little weird also.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Never tried any steel, but my P99 AS and P99c AS, and my first gen P99 all digest aluminum cased ammo without issue.

Reactions: Barbarian

·
Registered
172 Posts
To OP, why not try it yourself? Just buy one and feed your p99 and see if it works?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I don't feed my P99's a whole lot of steel case, but if it's cheap enough it sometimes ends up in the rotation and generally I haven't had any issues. I've run lots of Tula with no issues. I think I may have picked up some Wolf once or twice as well. I honestly don't pay too much attention to what I purchase because it all seems to run just fine. In fact I've only had one type of factory ammo ever give any of my P99's trouble - and only my P99C.

I had my P99C choke repeatedly on a box of Winchester White Box Steel Case RN brass jacket 9mm. It came as a pack of 150. One of the 50rd trays probably had a failure to extract in every single magazine, some magazines had two. Not easy to remove, either. No tap, rack bang. Had to shove a cleaning rod through the muzzle.

The other two trays of 50 rds seem to run just fine, however.

Haven't bought anymore of the stuff because most of the ranges I shoot at don't allow steel case plus I don't particularly like the stuff anyways. It also doesn't save you that much over buying brass case stuff when it goes on sale.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't feed my P99's a whole lot of steel case, but if it's cheap enough it sometimes ends up in the rotation and generally I haven't had any issues. I've run lots of Tula with no issues. I think I may have picked up some Wolf once or twice as well. I honestly don't pay too much attention to what I purchase because it all seems to run just fine. In fact I've only had one type of factory ammo ever give any of my P99's trouble - and only my P99C.

I had my P99C choke repeatedly on a box of Winchester White Box Steel Case RN brass jacket 9mm. It came as a pack of 150. One of the 50rd trays probably had a failure to extract in every single magazine, some magazines had two. Not easy to remove, either. No tap, rack bang. Had to shove a cleaning rod through the muzzle.

The other two trays of 50 rds seem to run just fine, however.

Haven't bought anymore of the stuff because most of the ranges I shoot at don't allow steel case plus I don't particularly like the stuff anyways. It also doesn't save you that much over buying brass case stuff when it goes on sale.
i agree brass case has become cheap so when I purchase some I usually purchase brass now.My range doesn't care what you use. Every now and then I will purchase steel as I don't have to pick it up at the range and can leave. Makes me lazy. Never used Winchester White box. Appreciate the information on it.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I do not shoot steel cased ammunition through my pistols, and see no reason to unless there is no other option. Here is a copy and paste of a reply I made in another thread. Post #3 from the linked thread below:

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/ppq/115948-9mm-steel-vs-aluminum-vs-brass.html

Brass casings are what these pistols were designed around. All else being equal, I prefer to use brass cased ammunition.

Aluminum casings are lighter than brass. On some pistols, this can lead to reliability issues in regards to ejection, with the most notorious cases of reliability issues being with CZ-75 pistols years ago when they were known for coming out of the factory with weaker extractor springs. I've put thousands and thousands of rounds of Blazer Aluminum through a 1st gen P99 with no reliability issues, but I did notice that bullet setback can be severe with this ammunition. You could notice the bullet setback just from chambering the cartridge once, so if you are the type that repeatedly chambers and clears the same cartridge, you shouldn't be doing so anyway, but I'd be especially careful with aluminum cased ammunition. This may also be the reason why aluminum cased ammunition seemingly tends to be loaded soft. Aluminum ammunition would be my second choice in regards to ammunition to use in my defensive pistols.

Steel casings are cheaper to produce it seems. We've discussed these rounds on this forum a few times now, and while we cannot pinpoint a reason why this is so, steel cased ammunition widely available today tends to stick in the chambers of firearms. Expect reliability issues in regards to extraction, as well as increased wear on the extractor. Steel cased ammunition would be the last on my list to be used in my defensive pistols. I actively avoid it, regardless of the price, and would only use steel cased ammunition if there was absolutely nothing else available.
Post #7 here on this thread seems to prove my point in regards to steel cased ammunition sticking in chambers.

Steel cased ammunition seems to run better in more tapered chambers, rather than more straight walled chambers. But I've heard of issues with steel cased ammunition in both. The issues almost always seems to be extraction issues, with a good many of them being not very easy to clear. The only way to know for sure is test it out on your own pistol. I can put up threads both here and on the H&K forum that show some members having issues, and some not, shooting the same brand of steel ammunition through a different example of the same model of pistol.

I'd advise against using steel cased ammunition in a defensive pistol regularly. Imagine how much stress is being put on the extractor hook, if the casing is stuck in the chamber so tightly that the hook has to go around the rim of the cartridge. It is actually worse if the extractor hook doesn't slip over the rim, as there have been cases of the extractor ripping the case head off, leaving the rest of the casing stuck in the chamber. A case head separation requires special tools get the pistol back into action.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
to see if the gun can handle such ammo.
The gun can handle it but imo you’re asking for trouble using it. If you had seen all the issues I see working at a range you wouldn’t run steel case through anything but AKs or SKSs. Jams and broken extractors are the most common.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I remember reading in a book by Fred Datig that steel case would expand and not contract as quickly as brass, and the increased drag resulting (especially in a straight-wall pistol cartridge case) as the case is extracted was a principle used by Makarov to slow the slide somewhat.

I do know that fluted chambering was introduced, among other reasons, to assist with reducing case walls sticking to the chamber wall by allowing gas to flow between them. This of course would assist extractors greatly as well. As I collect older ones, I can't say but do modern Walther pistols use fluted chambers?

I use brass pretty much exclusively in my Maks, though. They are still jumpy but stand up to it.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The gun can handle it but imo you’re asking for trouble using it. If you had seen all the issues I see working at a range you wouldn’t run steel case through anything but AKs or SKSs. Jams and broken extractors are the most common.
You are kind of contradicting yourself by telling me the gun can handle it but don't use it. Right now I use it rather sparingly as brass case ammo is rather cheap and I can reload them after shooting. Ruger says in their manual it is ok to use it in their 11911s and CZ ( which was a commie bloc country) will tell you it is ok to use it in their pistols ( except for 1911s which I did not ask them about; and one other pistol they manufacture). I have seen Glocks digest tons of the stuff without any problems. Some of my friends shoot Wolf a lot in their Glocks without any problems; and i have done so also. You also failed to mention some Soviet style pistols. I know 1911s will not digest it at all very well. When I shoot it in my Ruger 1911 I don't get jams; I get failures to feed as the malfunction. You would have to tell me the pistols that you are seeing the malfunctions in for me to judge which ones will work and which ones are having issues. I don't shoot steel case in my more expensive pistols at all. Just some of the polymers like the Glocks, P 99 and PPQ and not that often anyway.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Before everyone gets their panties in too big a wad about steel case ammo - let me say this: First, I appreciate everyone's viewpoint about using steel case ammo in their pistols; and I really appreciate all the information everyone has given. Second, I do not use steel case in my more expensive pistols ( ie Ed Browns, Wilson Combat, Nighthawks etc).
I do not regard my polymers as expensive or hard to replace pistols ( ie Walthers, Glocks, Sig 320s etc). As Hackathorn, ambassador for Wilson Combat, said about Glocks - they are pistols for the masses and not the classes ( LOL).
Since the polymers are easy to replace and relatively inexpensive ( thank goodness), I tend to experiment more with them to see how tough they are. The ones I do experiment with I do not use as edcs. I have two P 99s one of which serves as an edc and the other as the experimental pistol. I hope that covers the boardwalk.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Never tried any steel, but my P99 AS and P99c AS, and my first gen P99 all digest aluminum cased ammo without issue.

Only ammo I have ever consistently had problems with was Federal Aluminum 9mm. Tended to FTE on several autos due to case expansion.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Interesting. The cheap WalMart Federal Champion Aluminum has been 100% in my Walthers.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Steel case ammo (Tula or Wolf, I don't recall which) caused the only feeding failure I've ever seen in my P99 series pistols, but I know it works fine in others, so as said above I think it depends on the specific pistol. I still don't use it myself since I can get quality brass ammo cheap enough, but that's my experience for what it's worth.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
You are kind of contradicting yourself by telling me the gun can handle it but don't use it.
I can handle getting punched in the head but try to avoid it unless absolutely necessary. What I am saying is that there is no good reason to use steel cased ammo if there is another option. Just my opinion YMMV.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts