Walther Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked my used p99 AS with a BK roll mark born on date, indicates a 2019 pistol a few days ago. Today I went to the Walther website to take a look at a few things. The p99 AS is not listed at all. Does that mean that the gun is discontinued?

I read the status of the p99 sticky, did I miss something?

·
Registered
268 Posts
On the German website, if you navigate to the military/law enforcement section you can still see it's in production, but I would surmise sooner or later the PPQ will completely take over, as it's already in service with a few units globally.

I still think the P99 is a better pistol, functionally and aesthetically. What do I know, I'm not tactical enough to understand.

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
Ever since the PPQ was released folks have been talking about the demise of the P99.

Until military and police contracts that specify DA/SA triggers dry up I doubt Walther will retire the line.
Heck...Every so often I find myself in a situation where I'm required to carry a DA/SA weapon and out comes the P99.

I'd imagine the P99 will be here for a while longer. Yes they are producing fewer of them but they will still be available and so will the parts.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A Walther rep at my LGS said the P99 was one of their 'iconic' models and would not be going anywhere just like the PPK.
I first started looking at Walther when looking for a sub compact single stack for carry in warm weather, a bit more concealable. I was thinking PPK but I did not want to get into another caliber, and finding a PPK locally was not happening, then reading about the thumb web biting that it had a tendancies, well....I looked at Bersa and Kahr, and then tabled the search.

One day I was in an LGS looking at a unicorn, urban grey Beretta PX4 and was all set to buy and found a large scratch on the slide....kilt the sale. The salesman suggested I look at SW MP Shield. I already had and found it to be too small for my hand. Salesman suggested to try one with a Hogue grip sleeve, that is what he did and it was perfect for him. I ended up buying one on line at a very good price with night sights and no safety, put the grip sleeve on with the 8 round mag and it is from a size standpoint good to go. Completely reliable and slim fitting in a holster. I am not yet enamored with the trigger, even after dry firing a good bit. I has the short, about 1/4" take up and then you are at the wall and a bit more effort breaks the shot. Fairly drastic difference than the p99 AS with a lot of smooth take up to get to the wall. Thinking about getting some work done on the MP trigger, I know Apex is a big player in that world, going to ask around and see what can be done to subjectively improve it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I owned a PPQ years ago. I just prefer the P99 A/S too. In fact, I wish they would update the frame and sell it here in the USA....

The PPQ isn't for me. I like DA/SA more.
Even though I own quite a few DA only striker fired pistols, I kind of agree with you. The beauty of the P99AS DA/SA design is the ability to use it in SA mode, but also have the ability to de-cock it to DA for those who so desire. The SA trigger on the P99AS is (IMO) just as good as the trigger on the PPQ. Minor training on a DA/SA pistol is all that's necessary to ensure full competence with one.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'd be willing to bet Walther schedules runs in such a manner to keep demand at some frequency advantageous to them to modestly (?) raise unit revenue.

Here's a graph from data I've been collecting. There are gaps many of which, I speculate, could be associated with the availability of P99s of new manufacture, often at prices below the latest used prices at the time.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I first started looking at Walther when looking for a sub compact single stack for carry in warm weather, a bit more concealable. I was thinking PPK but I did not want to get into another caliber, and finding a PPK locally was not happening, then reading about the thumb web biting that it had a tendancies, well....I looked at Bersa and Kahr, and then tabled the search.

I suggest the PPS or Sig P365. I just picked up a 365 and it both carries well and shoots well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Aren't striker-fired, modern handguns with a DA feature very unique?

Herr Walther: I would have bought a steel-framed version for about the same price. With my pair of Sig P6 (modified hammer springs), P225 ('87) and CZ PCR, you see the picture.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Since Walther sold a ton to Shoot Straight a while ago at those wonderful prices($329.00 retail) I can’t see them bringing any more over here.
Glad I waited and was lucky enough to get one from them at that price.

I hope I am wrong.

I partially agree with Shipwreck, I do not mind the present grip on the P99, but the PPQ wasn’t for me. Purchased one-sold it. I carry the P99 compact and use the full size as a range pistol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts