Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's time to buy myself a handgun. I have done a lot of research and decided that I am definately purchasing a Walther P99. I know what I need to look for to identify if it is an actual German made model. What I am up in the air on, however, is whether to buy the Standard P99 or the QA. I understand the difference is in trigger pull. I was set on the QA, since I want the weapon to be a good CQC sidearm. However, it seems to me that there are some mechanical issues that can come up with the QA system. I don't really want to buy a firearm that needs to be sent back to the manufacturer right after I put 1000rds through it.

I need a reliable, accurate, 9mm handgun. I do like the fact that I can easily decock the Standard P99, and after I rack a round she has a really quick trigger pull that should be relatively easy to double tap with. The QA can be fired and reholstered without feeling like you have a cocked pistol hovering above your toes. I don't know...

Let me know which one you guys think I should get.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
The QA is like a Glock trigger. It does have a decocker, but I wouldn't recommend decocking it when you carry it for self defense, unless you want to do an Isreali type draw, meaning as you draw you pull the slide back to chamber a round a re-cock the pistol.

I haven't had any issues with my 9mm QA. I've fired at least 5000 rounds through it.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Strahl, not sure why the AS (standard) would feel like having a 'cocked pistol' over your toes. I don't think anyone recommends you carry the AS cocked. Before holstering you decock the gun, making it as 'safe' as a DAO or wheelgun. This is one of the reasons I chose the P99 over the XD. It's not hard at all to shoot accurately with a decocked striker, provided you practice, of course. It's also very easy to cock the gun if you feel for whatever reason that you want to. Simply pull the slide about 1/2" and release. The gun is now cocked and the trigger is in the 'long pull' position. Each follow on shots will have the short trigger pull.

Double tapping with the AS is very easy. In fact twice now I've fired the second shot without me intending to because I was trying the Farnam way of shooting (keep trigger all the way back until you recover the sights on target). I must have bounced the trigger. This made me realize the value of DAO triggers

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
You cannot go wrong with either version of the P99.  While I have read some isolated posts of people having problems, the QA system is not faulty or unreliable.  

You're going to have a few defects in any production line.  Of course people are going to be upset when they get the defective gun and they will complain.  As I'm sure you have discovered, they will complain loudly.  In addition to possible defects, when you add the "people factor" you can get all kinds of problems.  People will use bad, reloaded ammunition and blow up the gun and then blame the gun.  Sometimes they don't clean the gun and when it jams, they blame the gun.  I've seen people literally bathe their guns in oil, gum up the internals, and then blame the gun.    

I'm not saying every problem is due to the individual owner as there are surely some defects out there, but you'd be surprised at what people do and then blame the gun.  For what it's worth, I can say that I have a QA and haven't had an issue with mine.  I have a little over 7000 rounds through mine.  It is my primary carry gun.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had just purchased a new p99qa back in nov as an early xmas
gift to myself after firing 300rds of win white box from wally
world the gun started to jam and fail to return the striker after a through cleaning took the gun back to the shop I purchased it at. had the smith look at it and same thing happen to him sent back to walther still waiting for gun to return was 01 model from davidsons hope gun is repaired like new we will see!!!!!!
p.s. customer service at walther has a lot to be desired we see how the repair go's

·
Registered
144 Posts
Very well said, BreakerDave.

I haven't had any issues with my QA. Mine is a 2000 model, bought it late that year as my primary carry since then. After it passed the 10K count last summer, I stopped keeping track of the count, yet I have no broken parts or problems. Perhaps I'm lucky, but I believe this is what Walther is known for - high quality and reliable.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I first wanted an AS, but a QA was delivered instead. I decided to try it instead of sending it back, and it is the most accurate and best shooting 9mm I have ever had (and I have had many)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts