Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pros and cons; discuss.

I like the look of the black PPK (even though it's not a classic blued finish), but I'm wondering if the melonite finish would show scratches and dings more clearly than stainless.

Also, is one or the other more resistant to wear-and-tear and corrosion?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Stainless PPks were always produced in the USA, as far as I know never in Germany.

As I wrote already in another thread (https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/walther-general-discussions/120820-rumors-regarding-manhurin-walther.html), in Germany the general quality of PPKs made in the USA is regarded as worse than the quality of PPKs of French/German or only German origin.
Therefore, your question would be decided very quickly in Germany, because in the case of the choice, whether stainless or blued, the stainless version would be out of the question.
I only describe here, which opinion prevails in Germany, I can't judge that myself, because I've never owned any PPK, neither of German origin nor of American origin.
And I will not own a PPK in the future as well.

·
Registered
592 Posts
That's interesting, there's some similar uninformed thinking in the USA (perhaps worldwide?) regarding striker fired pistols. Most of them in the hands of military/police personnel are Glocks and not Ulm produced pistols. Is there a good reason for that? Well it depends on one's opinion. Most of it is based on something other than performance. Much like the supposed German disdain for Ami Walthers.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
The 'blackened" PPK is I think melonite over stainless steel. As far as corrosion resistance goes, it should be excellent.

I'll also point out in this Fort Smith generation of pistols, the slide is being made in Germany. The frame is made in the USA. Not sure about the barrel and small bits.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Jimmo952: Excellent point.

Gmork: Maybe you'll find something to like in the Fort Smith pistols; you might like at least half of the pistol. Also, be careful not to buy one of those American made BMW. Many of them are exported your way and you don't want to be stuck with a lemon;)

·
Registered
108 Posts
I was thinking of getting the Ft. Smith PPK in black. But I found an Interarms/Ranger PPK in excellent condition with box and paperwork in Blued steel for about the same price so I bought it. I also have a Ft. Smith stainless PPK/S. As mentioned above, the slide is manufactured in Germany and the frame is made here. The new Ft. Smith frame and barrel are fitted and finished very nicely, better than the IA/Ranger barrel and feed ramp.

The IA/Ranger PPK has worked well. I didn't have feeding issued with hollow points. The Ft. Smith PPK/S is very reliable with a variety of ammunition. I think they have done a good job with the barrel and feed ramp so you won't have feeding issues.

The main difference is how black looks versus Blued and the new Ft. Smith guns have a long beavertail as compared to the older German guns.

The new black finish is much harder and more durable than blued finishes. I think Glocks have a similar finish and they last forever.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
The 'blackened" PPK is I think melonite over stainless steel. As far as corrosion resistance goes, it should be excellent.

I'll also point out in this Fort Smith generation of pistols, the slide is being made in Germany. The frame is made in the USA. Not sure about the barrel and small bits.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Jimmo952: ...
Gmork: Maybe you'll find something to like in the Fort Smith pistols; you might like at least half of the pistol. Also, be careful not to buy one of those American made BMW. Many of them are exported your way and you don't want to be stuck with a lemon;)
Yes, I have to agree. ;):D
OT
American cars, especially cars from American manufacturers (like Chrysler and GM) built in the US have a pretty bad reputation in Germany.
I am sorry to say that, but that's proven since several years by the annual inspection statistic issued by the TÜV ("Technischer Überwachungsverein", Association for Technical Inspection) and similar facilities, which carry out the legally required inspections of vehicles.In such statistics, American cars still fare worse than the average.
And be sure, neither Japanese, French nor Korean cars, not to mention German cars are preferred in any kind, all are tested with the same criteria.
In the meantime, there are similar mandatory inspections in every country in the EU, and even there American cars fare worse than the average.
Believe me, I am quite far from talking badly about American cars, I am only describing the results of the car inspections required by law in all EU countries.
I am not keen on further discussion of this theme, but I will not continue the discussion because we are in a forum for Walther weapons and not in a car forum.:cool:

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Melonite supposedly has a Rockwell hardness rating similar to that of Diamond, ergo it ought to be extremely resistant to scratches, dings, knicks, and general surface wear.

However, I've heard claims that the black coloring of Melonite is only on the surface, while beneath it's actually a drak gray similar to Tenifer. Assuming that's true, then surface wear could be even more visible than it would be on Stainless Steel.
Personally, I don't own any firearms with a Melonite finish, but I do own multiple firearms with a bead-blasted Stainless Steel finish, which in my experience holds up extremely well considering that it's basically all scuffed up looking to begin with. Furthermore, it's rather easy to polish Stainless Steel in the event that it gets some minor scratches on the surface.

If it were me, then I would roll the dice with Melonite since my current Smith & Wesson PPK/S is Stainless.

Reactions: commanderbond

·
Registered
74 Posts
Pros: You might like the look of one better than the other.

Cons: You might not like the color of one as much as the other.

You're kind of asking whether a red car is better than a blue car.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
661 Posts
My 2 cents ... I have a S&W PPK .380 in stainless and a new PPK/S in .22 lr and while I like both of them, I like the look of the stainless better.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Pros: You might like the look of one better than the other.

Cons: You might not like the color of one as much as the other.

You're kind of asking whether a red car is better than a blue car.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Red is much better, prettier, and faster. Also more likely to be observed by local LEO’s. :D

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
My $0.02 I am not a fan of the extended S&W beaver tail, so those pistols and the current Ft. Smith pistols will never be part of my collection. It has nothing to do with American versus German (or French) origin. Given the choice between traditional bluing and the “modern” black finishes, I will stay old school there, too. Stainless certainly has some advantages (and detractions), and I own stainless and (Manurhin) hard chrome pistols. Those choices are more of a purpose versus appearance choice for me, although I do like shiny things ;)

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have blued, I have stainless. I love them both. I only carry my SS S&W though. My blued guns stay at home for fondling.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts