Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good news everyone. I was going to wait until they were ready but since this topic came up in another post, here's what I've got.

I have been talking to William McMoore, President of Alchemy Arms Co. I sent him an example .40 P99 guide rod assembly which he is modeling in stainless steel. It will be a captured guide rod. Not yet sure what the final cost will be but will post when all the details have been worked out.

For those of you unfamiliar, Alchemy Arms produce some top shelf stuff. They also manufacture stainless Glock recoil rod assemblies so they are already ahead of the curve.

Like stated earlier, as soon as all the details are worked out regarding availability and cost you guys will be the first to know. Stay tuned!!

Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I spoke with William again today.  He will also have an option of either blackened stainless or polished stainless which will be a nice choice for those that wish to keep things looking factory.  

We spoke regarding the design and things are looking VERY good.  He has a nice design which retains the spring, I think it's better than a normal hex screw and washer deal.  It will actually be a machined end to capture the spring which will screw onto the end of the rod itself.  No washer's and screws to lose.

Pricing should be around what a Glock assembly goes for however final pricing has yet to be determined.

Just to give us an idea of how many people would be interested, post a reply or email me directly.

[email protected]

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (CKW @ Feb. 03 2003,6:37)]which will be a nice choice for those that wish to keep things looking factory.  
So if you want it to remain "factory looking", why change from what the factory sent?

I guess I just don't get why a metal guide rod is so important. Can someone explain to me why? I haven't seen any problems with the one from the factory.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I'm just going to play devil's advocate for a minute. What if the engineers who designed the gun wanted the guide rod to bend? (Which mine does in my P99, especially where the rod looks like it's been crimped) If we go putting a solid, non-bendable rod in there, are we going to be inducing some other problem?

I'm not trying to "rain on your parade", but being an engineer, I like to know why another engineer designed something the way they did before I go changing it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bending of the recoil rod is just a by-product of the materials they used.  Designed to bend, no.  Will it hurt anything if it does, probably not.  More cost effective to manufacture, YES.  

By the way, Walther recommends replacing the recoil guide rod assembly every 5000 rounds.

Also, there have been reports of S&W having replacement guide rods that are steel.  I think Dr. Lunde has one.  You cant order these by part number or even specify them for that matter.  S&W knows nothing about them however some people have them.  

I dont think Walther would make a steel replacement guide rod if it wouldn't work.  Too bad they are impossible to get.

On another note, Earl has seen a few (polymer rods) that have failed.  We discussed this in detail awhile back.

·
Registered
122 Posts
There have been problems with rod failure in the Glock 23 when the polymer rod is replaced with metal.  The rod breaks, rendering the pistol inoperable.  The gun locks up and cannot be cleared because the slide will not retract.  

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
If they are reasonable in price I may get one.

I keep hearing that there are some that Walther made out there, but I've never seen a picture of one. Has Dr. Lunde taken a picture of his?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This has been "reported" to be a problem on the subcompacts, I have never heard problems on the 23.

Go to Glocktalk and see how many people have a metal recoil guide rod on the 23.  See how many people have problems with them.  

Jeeze.

·
Registered
41 Posts
.40SW is a pretty high pressure round, I could see guide rod failures of the rods are not engineered properly. If Walther decided to use a plastic rod in the P99s there is good reason.
Yes it can be for manufactoring costs but until the "steel guide rod" is proven. I don't think checking glocktalk is a very scientific way to compare a Walther to a Glock. They are both different pistols.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here you go.  You may want to reference the fourth post down.

Link for metal guide rod

I have sent correspondence to Walther Germany regarding the use of metal recoil guide rods in the P99. I will let you know my findings.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
William is Modeling it now. Shoudn't be more than a couple weeks. I will post the information when they are available.

·
Registered
41 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (CKW @ Feb. 05 2003,11:17)]Here you go.  You may want to reference the fourth post down.

Link for metal guide rod

I have sent correspondence to Walther Germany regarding the use of metal recoil guide rods in the P99.  I will let you know my findings.
Okay I read the forth post down. Still skeptic, I wouldnt take one persons experience as "scientific" but I can see some of your logic
Good luck with your metal rods, when you get them there will be more data for the P99 side vs. Glock.

Post a range report when you get it and some pictures if you dont mind.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts