Walther Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone who has a P99 know that its trigger has three stages of operation...Stage 1 Double action long pull, Stage 2 Single action pull with the Trigger forward and finally Stage 3 Single action pull with trigger back(short pull)...do any of you carry your P99 in Stage 2 condition...I spoke to guy the other day that said that was the only way he would carry his...I have only had mine a couple of months and have been carring in Stage 1...I had thought about carry in Stage 2 before my conversion, but thought that this might be unsafe...now I don't know maybe he is right after all why else have stage 2 on the weapon if not for S/A carry...and as has been said many time Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I carry in SA-trigger forward all the time. As long as you keep your finger off the trigger, and use a quality holster that covers the trigger guard, its perfectly safe.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You might also ask yourself why the DA is there as well. My take on this is that it lessen's the chance of an unintended discharge, probly due to stress/adrenilin.

I don't carry mine, so take my comments as an observation only. If I did, I'd carry in stage 1.

But I do wish the IDPA allowed stage 2.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am awaiting my concealed carry permit and will more than likely carry in stage one. Do any of you carry your P99 without a round being chambered but with a full magazine? What about if you have your pistol in the glove compartment in your car? Do you still have one chambered?
Thanks

·
Registered
411 Posts
My P99 is always "Hot". If its not on my person in SA-F mode, then its inside a zippered case in DA mode.

·
Registered
411 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (kdmoore @ Oct. 28 2002,6:11)]You might also ask yourself why the DA is there as well.  My take on this is that it lessen's the chance of an unintended discharge, probly due to stress/adrenilin.  
If your finger is on the trigger, and a stress/adrenaline dump occurs, the trigger could be a 15# pull, and 1" of travel, and you'd still have a ND.
That is why you keep your grubby little finger away from the trigger, indexed on the frame or ejection port, until the decision to shoot has been made. Only once you have made the decision to shoot, should your finger enter the trigger guard.
Its the little details like this, that a good firearms instructor will teach you. If you are going to carry, its imperative that you get professional training.

·
Registered
14 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (karate @ Oct. 27 2002,11:03)]Everyone who has a P99 know that its trigger has three stages of operation...Stage 1 Double action long pull, Stage 2 Single action pull with the Trigger forward and finally Stage 3 Single action pull with trigger back(short pull)...do any of you carry your P99 in Stage 2 condition...I spoke to guy the other day that said that was the only way he would carry his...I have only had mine a couple of months and have been carring in Stage 1...I had thought about carry in Stage 2 before my conversion, but thought that this might be unsafe...now I don't know maybe he is right after all why else have stage 2 on the weapon if not for S/A carry...and as has been said many time Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.
i carry with a full mag but empty chamber. it's not that tough to just pull the slide back. plus if some nut manages to get it away from me and pull the trigger, nothing happens. i also carry in an IWB holster, with the muzzle right next to my package, so i get some piece of mind there too.

i don't see the point in every carrying in the SA trigger forward mode. i find the pull back to the "click" point awkwardly light. either SA rear or DA feels like a real trigger to me.

·
Registered
411 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (cracked @ Oct. 28 2002,8:53)]i carry with a full mag but empty chamber. it's not that tough to just pull the slide back. plus if some nut manages to get it away from me and pull the trigger, nothing happens.
Ahhh.... the infamous Israeli Carry method.
How do you plan on racking the slide if your left hand is occupied with holding onto the knife hand of the "nut" who is trying to stab you? Or what if your infant son is in your arms, you just gonna drop him so that you can rack the slide? What if the "nut" has just slammed your hand in a car door?
It can't be emphasized enough.....
If you are going to carry, its imperative that you get professional training.
From personal experience I can recommend:
http://www.optionsforpersonalsecurity.com/
http://www.tridentconcepts.net/

·
Registered
15 Posts
Carrying a full mag., but an empty pipe could be suicide. Learn how to properly handle yourself, and the gun. If you're going to carry a gun, it should be ready to fire, to adequately protect yourself, and your family. Get training. As much as you can. You owe it to yourself, and the family you are protecting.

D

·
0 Posts
A full mag with an empty chamber makes for nothing more than a weighted hammer!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I agree with the comments on the empty chamber and getting training.  If you haven't had any, get some.  If you are near Dallas, Texas, Tulsa, Oklahoma, or Columbia, Missouri, I recommend TDSA.  The internet address is http://www.tdsa.net

·
Registered
13 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (NM_P99 @ Oct. 28 2002,10:39)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (cracked @ Oct. 28 2002,8:53)]i carry with a full mag but empty chamber. it's not that tough to just pull the slide back. plus if some nut manages to get it away from me and pull the trigger, nothing happens.
Ahhh.... the infamous Israeli Carry method.
How do you plan on racking the slide if your left hand is occupied with holding onto the knife hand of the "nut" who is trying to stab you? Or what if your infant son is in your arms, you just gonna drop him so that you can rack the slide? What if the "nut" has just slammed your hand in a car door?
It can't be emphasized enough.....
If you are going to carry, its imperative that you get professional training.
From personal experience I can recommend:
http://www.optionsforpersonalsecurity.com/
http://www.tridentconcepts.net/
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Ahhh.... the infamous Israeli Carry method.
hello guys...i'm new on this board...first of all, i'd like to add to this post that:

1.) In such a close quarter situation, there is a 95% chance that u will not have ANY time to reach for your gun, so the above post is simply not relevant.

2.) In such a sutuation, you will have to rely on defensive close quarter combat methods if you are to save your life of that of a loved one.  

3.) It may also be possible to gain more distance from the attacker, thereby buying u more time to draw your gun, but other than that, your first priority should be in securing the knife.

Cliffnotes: learn a good close range martial art to supplement your gun training.

·
Registered
411 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] 1.) In such a close quarter situation, there is a 95% chance that u will not have ANY time to reach for your gun, so the above post is simply not relevant.
...snip...
Cliffnotes: learn a good close range martial art to supplement your gun training.
Ahhh but it is relevent. What about the 5% of the time you can bring the pistol into the fight? If one hand is occupied and you carry chamber empty, there is absolutely NO WAY you will get a shot off, If I carry ready to fire, then there is at least the POSSIBILITY that I can bring the pistol into the fight effectively.
Chamber empty, at best you have a blunt object, if the pistol is ready to fire, at the worst its a blunt object.
All the CQB training I have done, revolves around getting the gun into the fight, along with close contact shooting and retention. Every blow, block,or grapple, is done with the intention of bringing the pistol into the fight.
This is where i've found traditional martial arts to be lacking, there needs to be more firearms integration into the fighting systems.
I do agree that relying completely on a firearm is not the way to go, but I don't think that most martial arts integrate the handgun into their system near enough. But anyone who is serious about CQB, should have a solid unarmed combat system as well as skill with arms.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts