Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, First post here, long time lurker though.

I was wondering if anyone any experience with the sprinco steel guide rods. They seem to be decent (i just dont like the idea of plastic in the recoil assembly) but i was hoping someone knew more before i bought one.

http://www.sprinco.com/recoil.html

any help would be appreciated...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Alaskan,

I have not tried one of these. However I just sent my factory captive recoil rod to a guy named Steve Bedair (I found him on the Sig Forum). For $35 (shipping included) he made me up a stainless steel recoil rod. It should be back in a day or two. Steve also made me one for my Beretta PX4.

The guys at the Sig Forum have only positive things to say about him. My experience has been excellent. He recieved the rods, emailed me that he got them. Then 48 hours later emailed me that he was shipping the rods back to me. Seems like a great guy and half the price of the sprinco. He uses the stock spring that he takes off your captive recoil rod. Therefor the recoil woudl be the same. I will post more info when I get the rod back, installed and I get to shoot the gun.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I had the Sprinco assembly a couple of years ago and my comments on the matter may be very short : save your money for something else. Although nicely crafted, the steel rod was too long (made for the slightly larger .40 S&W slide ?). OK, I shortened the rod so the thing wasn't protruding anymore. However I noticed that during firing (opening and closing of the slide) the rod - with an outside diameter way too small - had a tendency to slam against the edges of the guide rod passage hole at the front of the slide. This explained why the rod soon looked as being ran over by a truck. I tossed it out and went back to the original thing (Walther engineers know why !). As for the so called recoil reducing effect, I couldn't ascertain any difference (and I tried very hard to make myself believe the money spent wasn't wasted !)

·
Registered
231 Posts
You have to send in your captive guide rod for Steve to make one. He takes yours apart, makes a stainless steel copy and reuses the factory spring. The rod would not turn out too long.

I just got the guide rod in mail, over lunch. It looks awesome. The quality seems to be top teir. I will know more about fitment later tonight.

He has a website Guiderod.com that shows some of his stuff. The Walther was not listed but if you email him, he can make one. I know because I have one in my hand right now.

BTW. I am not in business with Steve.

·
Registered
231 Posts
If you wish to spend the money...go ahead. But there is nothing wrong with the spring guide that comes stock with your P99.
I fully agree. I have three P99's, 2 in 40 S&W, 1 in 9 MM. Both have run flawlessly with the stock guide rod.

I am putting the P99 on my conceal carry permit and just decided to have a stainles steel guide rod made for it. More out of "want" than "need".

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
If you wish to spend the money...go ahead. But there is nothing wrong with the spring guide that comes stock with your P99.
Yup. Apart from some inveterate mental discomfort, what's wrong with the plastic rod?

One thing that's NOT wrong with it: the plastic rod does not have the mass to bounce by inertia and batter its seats at both ends.

M

1 - 10 of 10 Posts