Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,
I just picked up a Springfield Armory 1911 Loaded Micro Compact .45. It is a stain stainless steel armory-kote finish with cocobolo wood grips. I got a great deal on it from my local gunshop - everywhere I looked, gunbroker included could not beat the $730.00 out-the-door price I got from my local gunshop.

It has an ambidextrous safety (a must since I am a southpaw), Novak tritium night sights, beveled edges for easier concealed carry, adjustable trigger, and an aluminum frame. It is quite light - about 24oz. It came with 2 6rd stainless steel magazines.

I took it to the range yesterday with my g/f. This .45 and the P228 were the ones she liked the most at a gunshow we went to last week. However, the P228 would not be much easier to conceal than my P99, so I chose the 1911.

This handgun's grip is one of the most comfortable I have ever held. It feels much more comfortable than it looks. It seats in my hand just right and points where it is supposed to effortlessly - something the P99 lacks in my case.

We fired 100 rds through it. It has some feeding problems, but I have read on other forums that this is a common ailment during the 300-500 round break in period. A heavier recoil spring can be swapped in and it is also said to help.

The short barrel creates a large muzzle blast - would probably disrupt night visibility quite a bit if it was ever fired in the dark. However it is very controllable and accurate for its size and weight. The .45 is not the kicker that everybody makes it out to be. I found it interesting that the .45 goes slow enough (about 830fps) that you can see a copper colored streak travel downrange as you shoot. My g/f preferred the .45 to the 9mm P99, which instantly excited me in that way

Once I work out the kinks and am sure of its reliability, this will become my main carry piece. Although it only holds 6+1, I can use 7 round magazines. Also, shot placement is much easier, so those 7 or 8 rounds will go right where they are supposed to with a bit more practice.

I'll post some pics mid-week next week!

Oh, and thanks to the Admin for creating this new section!

-Yoshi

·
Registered
15 Posts
Feeding issue's are common until broken in.

But the mags can cause them. The springfield mags witht he metal followers of certian designs can tilt forward causing the feed problem. I've have zero feed problems with my kimber tac ultra II. it's got 100 rnds thru it so far.

I use wilson combat 47 series mags, I'd recommend you get a few of them. The poly followers work perfect with 1911's no worries of it tilting and eating into the frame.

As for the muzzle flash, My kimber has a 3" barrel. And the amount of flash wasn't excessive. It's was probably the ammo you were using producing the excessive flash. I used 185g magtec and 230g winchester white box.

As for the grip, Most look at them a go ewww that doesn't look comfy, but once them put a mag thru it their attitude changes.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Synister1,
Thanks for the reply. I'm considering the Wilson mags as well. I hear that the SA Micro Compact can use the Wilson 7rd mags and it will only stick out 3/16". I think thats a small price to pay for the ability to another cartridge bringing the total to 7+1.
I said I'd post pics, but I wasn't able to do so before moving. I'm on a dial-up connection right now, but hopefully I'll be getting broadband soon. When/if I do, I'll post some

-Yoshi

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yoshi,

You upload pics to a photo hosting server on the web and then post the links to them on the forums.

See:

I use fototime. there are many free and pay services outhere.

3/16 is enough to damage something if you slap the mag in to hard.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Synister1,
I bought two Chip McCormick 7 round .45 magazines for my Micro Compact last week. After I swapped mags I had ZERO feeding issues. They hold 1 more round than the Springfields and they do not stick out any farther from the butt of the handgrip. They are perfect. They even come with rubber baseplates you can put on there for competitive use, though I have set those aside since this will be a carry piece.

The only reason I havent uploaded pics yet is because I'm too lazy. The computer I'm typing on now is hooked up to the internet via dial-up, but all my pictures are on the comp in the basement, configured for a broadband connection. I could burn them onto a CD, take them upstairs to this one, and then up load them, but thats alotta walkin'
I sound foolish, lol, I'll get them posted this weekend.

-Yoshi

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys,
Big problems with my SA .45 MC for me.
I'm returning it to the factory today. The feed ramp has been pounding at and eating away at the portion of the frame that it fits into. It also looks like the slide and barrel hood have been getting some heavy contact. There is a gouge in the frame and a burr can be felt. The slide cycles noticeably slower, as if it is struggling to move freely.
I hope to get it back in the next few weeks. Until then, the P99 will be my carry piece...it sure feels awful big compared to the MC .45

1 - 6 of 6 Posts