Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watching the Walther video on disassembling the PDP I noticed his had a spring under the optic plate. I don't recall having one fly out when I took my optic plate off. Did everyone else have one?

·
Premium Member
14,304 Posts
The optics cover plate is under spring tension (I think that's important). The optics plate, or an optics plate adaptor, when screwed in place, hold the ejector plunger&spring in position. Remove the plate and there's nothing to hold the spring in and it can fly outta there like a Saturn rocket, ricocheting off the ceiling and burying itself in the shag carpet, never to be found again, especially when you had no idea there was a spring in there in the first place, or what that hole in the slide was all about....(I was gonna say a SpaceX rocket, but too many of those explode).

So, when removing your optics cover plate, do so very carefully, lifting it off gently and be sure there's a spring in that wittle hole. You can then remove the spring and plunger, then the FPB and extractor.

All is good, be careful, wear safety glasses.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wow, I'm glad you said something, I'm waiting for a plate to arrive and I have seen rockets (springs) fly never to be seen again, many thanks.

·
Premium Member
14,304 Posts
I think the moral to this is don't even THINK about shooting your PDP without a optics plate securely in place.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I emailed Walther Arms to point me in the direction so I could order a replacement spring and they said there is not a spring under the cover plate.

Whew I was sure I would have noticed a spring under... less sure when I saw the video but now I am sure I didn't again. Haha.

·
Premium Member
14,304 Posts
I'll just stick with Larry Vickers (Vickers Tactical) and Jens Krogh (Walther USA) and their video.....there's no doubt, a spring and plunger hiding beneath that cover plate.

Don't forget that age old saying 'a picture is worth a thousand words'. With that said, look at the pictures in post #2 again, or watch the video.

WE NEED WALTHER TO MAKE AN 'EXPLODED PARTS VIEW' AVAILABLE FOR THE PDP.....I MIGHT WANT TO ORDER SOME PARTS. 😁

·
Premium Member
14,304 Posts
This is what finally pushed me over the edge and made me purchase a PDP (or two). Upon receipt, I'll be removing the optics cover plate (very, very carefully) while looking and waiting for that little spring to show itself.

I kinda figured that with all the poop I've done in the last 9 years, Walther would send me some PDP's...I figured at least one of each variety. But Noooooooooooo, that didn't happen. Oh well, such is life.

·
Registered
46 Posts
When I installed my plate I didn't notice any spring coming out. It could be that the production models have a blind hole instead of a through hole of the tester models.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The optics cover plate is under spring tension (I think that's important). The optics plate, or an optics plate adaptor, when screwed in place, hold the ejector plunger&spring in position. Remove the plate and there's nothing to hold the spring in and it can fly outta there like a Saturn rocket, ricocheting off the ceiling and burying itself in the shag carpet, never to be found again, especially when you had no idea there was a spring in there in the first place, or what that hole in the slide was all about....(I was gonna say a SpaceX rocket, but too many of those explode).

So, when removing your optics cover plate, do so very carefully, lifting it off gently and be sure there's a spring in that wittle hole. You can then remove the spring and plunger, then the FPB and extractor.

All is good, be careful, wear safety glasses.

View attachment 98175

View attachment 98176
Great information, thank you for posting it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I own two PDPs and neither one had a spring in the extractor pin. My thought is this was a preproduction part and found to be unnecessary by Walther. I took the pin and extractor out to see how it was all put together and functioned. To me the spring in the video would serve no purpose other than to be something a lot of customers would lose and be calling Walther for a new one. The plastic cover or the optics plate is what keep the extractor pin captive on that side of the hole. As some people have already found out. Maybe the spring was intended to put upward pressure on the optics plate which would keep tension on the plate screws so they don't back out but that is just a guess.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Okay, here's the deal, loose wheel (many probably aren't old enough to get that).

I contacted Walther about the spring under the optics plate. There was one, but there was a running change made and that spring no longer exist.
That is good info to know! Thank you sir for contacting Walther and getting that answered.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Okay, here's the deal, loose wheel (many probably aren't old enough to get that).

I contacted Walther about the spring under the optics plate. There was one, but there was a running change made and that spring no longer exist.
Outstanding, thank you Sir.

·
Registered
50 Posts

As I started to read this thread I felt my BP begin to rise and I began having visions of me on my hands and knees in my kitchen looking for some tiny spring :mad:

You should receive 40 lashes with a wet noodle for your initial misrepresentation of facts!!

Signed: Me, a younger old fart (LOL).

·
Premium Member
14,304 Posts
As I started to read this thread I felt my BP begin to rise and I began having visions of me on my hands and knees in my kitchen looking for some tiny spring :mad:

You should receive 40 lashes with a wet noodle for your initial misrepresentation of facts!!

Signed: Me, a younger old fart (LOL).
errrrrrr, there was no misrepresentation....my observations/comments were based on the video in post no. 1.....a video produced by Walther. I captured 2 screen shots in the video clearly showing the spring and pin.

A few days later, I sent Walther an email about this very thing, and I provided their response in post no. 11. Yes, there was a running change....that spring is no longer used.

I'd love to be a younger old fart.....but that's just not an option. 😢

·
Registered
50 Posts
errrrrrr, there was no misrepresentation....my observations/comments were based on the video in post no. 1.....a video produced by Walther. I captured 2 screen shots in the video clearly showing the spring and pin.

A few days later, I sent Walther an email about this very thing, and I provided their response in post no. 11. Yes, there was a running change....that spring is no longer used.

I'd love to be a younger old fart.....but that's just not an option. 😢
I was hoping that you'd recognise my "wet noodle" comment in response to your "loose wheel" comment as coming from a member of the getting older generation (me). I was just yankin' your chain, and appreciated your efforts :)

·
Premium Member
14,304 Posts
Hee, hee.....yes my noodle is all wet......washed up I think.

I just picked up a PDP today, ain't no spring under my plate. 😂

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
Walther has made changes like this for years now.....and with no mention of it. Only those really paying attention to the details of the pistol or owning several of the same over multiple years will notice the differences. Sometimes the changes are very small. This looks like a really good change. There is no point in having a small but critical spring fall out of a pistol designed to have the dot plate removed. As OF stated and linked photos of....there most certainly was a hole above the small spring on early pistols. 1917

Here is another one on another pistol. I think I'm the only one that ever commented on it. That shallow recess holds the slide stop hold down spring and it could sometimes slip out of the recess. So, a small pin was added to the left side of the frame to keep it in place. This kind of stuff is never mentioned by Walther and if you didn't have an earlier model without it.....you would never notice the addition.

·
Premium Member
14,304 Posts
Here, I'll show you a picture. I'm going to post the same picture in the other thread too. 😁 It's the 'riot' model. 😂😂😂😂😂

1 - 20 of 23 Posts