Walther Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many rounds are most folks getting through their PPK/s before changing recoil or magazine springs? I've got mine running perfectly now and am thinking about stuff like spare parts/springs. Does it even make sense to call up Wolff or should I sit tight? I've put 500rds through so far and will probably put 2000 or so thru in the next couple of months before slowing down.

Mine is a S&W mfg. if that makes a difference.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
From Wolff's website:

4. How often should I change my springs?

Wolff Gunsprings are made with the highest grade materials and workmanship. Most Wolff [recoil] springs will remain stable for many thousands of rounds. The performance of your gun is the best indicator of when a spring needs to be replaced. Factors such as increasing ejection distance, improper ejection and/or breaching, lighter hammer indents on primers, misfires, poor cartridge feeding from magazines, frequent jams, stove pipes and other malfunctions are all possible indications of fatigued springs or improper springs. Springs that are subject to higher stress applications such as magazine springs, striker springs and recoil springs will require more frequent replacement than other less stressed springs. Most Wolff recoil springs should be capable of 3000-5000 rounds minimum before changing is required. Some recoil springs in compact pistols, especially where dual springs are replaced by a single spring may require changing after 750 - 1500 rounds. Changes in your firearm's performance are one of the best indicators that a change is needed.

I would say a PPK/S as well as a PPK qualifies as "compact pistol". If you are using your Walther for personal defense and not just as a range gun, I would err on the side of less rather than more. I'd change between 750-1000 rounds. Now watch how many people post "I've fired a hundred zillion rounds through my Walther and the spring is still fine":rolleyes:

Dep

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I'm hoping to hear. It's been an assumption of mine that blowback handguns are easier on the recoil springs because the slide bottoms out way before the spring compresses all the way. Also the two blowback guns (PPK and SigP230) that I've owned have longer and beefier springs to spread the energy over. I could be very mistaken in this assumption, that's why I'm asking folks who've owned their PPK/s longer than I've had mine to share their experience.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
My PP series pistols with factory springs seemed to last about 500 to 700 rounds, but that is an estimate as I wasn't keeping a real count.

The replacement Wolff Springs seem to last longer than the factory springs - which by the way dated from the 1960's to the early 1970's. My impression always was the original springs died from "old age" rather than use.

For me the first indicator of spring issues was the hammer riding down with the slide. When the old PPK starts that trick it is time for a new recoil spring.
If not cured by the recoil spring then look towards the hammer spring. I just replace both since Wolff packages them together in the same kit.

If I was packing for defense, I would heed Deputy's advise. When you need the pistol is the worst time to find out that "Murphy" has arrived!

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
You have a problem there, all right, but if your springs only go 500 to 700 rounds and then the hammer follows down, new springs are only temporarily masking the problem, not curing it.

M

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hit the wall at about 1100rds. She started choking on Speer's independence FMJ round nose. Failure to seat the round all the way, just like riding the slide when chambering a round manually. Compared the recoil spring to a new one from Wolff (I was saving it for just such an occasion), and it felt kind of weak. I'm going to have to keep a few on hand and track how many rds thru, start a replacement policy at 900 or so. Was on a run of nearly 850rds without a single FTF or FTE.

Had one more failure to prime, but that seems to be isolated to Winchester ammo- white box and Silvertip. If it happens with any other brand I'll change the hammer spring, but I'm reluctant to change how the DA trigger feels.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Had one more failure to prime, but that seems to be isolated to Winchester ammo- white box and Silvertip. If it happens with any other brand I'll change the hammer spring, but I'm reluctant to change how the DA trigger feels.
Threw in a new Wolff hammer spring, and now I know why my DA trigger was so light and why I've been getting sporadic priming failures. The new spring must have added 4 or 5 lbs to my trigger pull! The spring I took out hadn't been clipped or anything, so I'll put the hammer spring on a replacement schedule too. Have to get to the range and see how much re-educating I need to get respectable with one-handed DA shooting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts