Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed an APEX trigger on my Q4 TAC, but I would now like to reduce the trigger weight to appx 3.5 lbs. Does anyone know if the Sprinco TRS #87885 (just the TRS, NOT the kit which includes the firing pin safety spring) would achieve this?

As a side note, I am happy with the incredibly short travel of the APEX trigger, and the reset seems identical to factory, but the APEX trigger creep is a little disappointing. I am looking at doing Lanzer creep mod to correct this.

Thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,415 Posts
I will ask my standard question re "creep" and then defer to OF for the remainder. Before making any mods beyond the Apex installation have you performed the following steps starting with a verified empty pistol:

Remove the magazine
Cock the pistol
Turn the pistol upside down....resting on the sights/slide
Using a pointed object inserted thru the magazine well depress the striker safety & hold
Slowly pull the trigger until the striker releases.

Did the trigger "creep" disappear? If not then follow OF's suggested actions.

·
Premium Member
13,871 Posts
Okay, here goes.

Is this pistol used for 'defensive' purposes, meaning do your carry this gun or use it for home defense?

Or do you use this pistol for 'range use only'?

Apex did a great job with their trigger shoe design and modding the trigger bar. Do you know or can you describe how they reduce overall trigger travel by approximately 40%?

Can you describe 'takeup'?

Can you describe 'creep'?

These are ALL important questions, as its imperative that someone understands the terms they're using to describe a particular process or action.

Even without hearing the answers to the above questions, my answer to whether you should perform the Lanzar modification is 'don't do it'.

·
Premium Member
13,871 Posts
chandler, I was reading and thinking.....exactly what to I say here.....where do I start.

I hate to say this, but creep has nothing to do with the firing pin block. You feel the firing pin block during 'takeup'. After takeup is completely eliminated, you're at the point where creep begins. Creep is usually measured in RCH's. :D

Here ya go.....read thru this until is clear. :D

https://www.realgunreviews.com/trigger-definitions-take-up-creep-break-overtravel-reset/

·
Premium Member
3,415 Posts
I hate to say this, but creep has nothing to do with the firing pin block.

Yes, I do understand. However, I believe that some folks encounter the issue of friction between the plunger and the wall or because of the lateral force applied by the trigger bar tab against the plunger and resulting binding of the spring. I experienced that same feel with my PPQ 45 but when the plunger is depressed there is no discernible creep.....just feels like a 1911 break to me. I know some level of creep still exists due to the single action interface and release.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Chandler5566, but this technique unfortunately did not work. Thank you for your input on the creep in an attempt to help me resolve this.

Can anyone chime in on the weight pull of Sprinco TRS?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
@ IMAOLDFART - I have enjoyed reading your various post, and thank you for all your input on the forum. I define trigger creep as any rear trigger movement after hitting the wall. In my particular Q4, appx. 3/32" is more creep than I am willing to accept.

My Q4 is primarily a range gun, while my P30L LEM is for home defense, along with a Sphinx SDP. For CC, I have a Sig P365 which I am very happy with. My goal is achieve a trigger pull similar to the hammer fired match trigger on my Sphinx, which admittedly is a long shot (the take up is less than desired on the Sphinx though, but the break is beautiful!).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Here is my Q4 with the new Holosun HE508 Titanium in the Green dot. I took this out and shot it for the first time with the dot, and am quite pleased. I have the DPMS spring installed, which has been FLAWLESS, as well as the APEX trigger discussed. The tac light is for coyotes, as I take my dogs out late every night, and coyotes are a real threat. The 17 shot group is with 115 grain CCI Blazer FMJ, and I am sighted a tad low in order to provide a 50 yard zero, which allows me to only be off a 1/2" shooting anywhere from 10 yds to 50 yds.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Even without hearing the answers to the above questions, my answer to whether you should perform the Lanzar modification is 'don't do it'.

@IMAOLDFART can you please clarify as to why you do not recommend the Lanzer Creep mod; Is it for safety reasons?

·
Premium Member
13,871 Posts
@IMAOLDFART can you please clarify as to why you do not recommend the Lanzer Creep mod; Is it for safety reasons?
Absolutely for safety reasons. The same reason Walther won't release the 'expert' trigger in the US. The sear engagement needs to be adjusted by a Walther gunsmith.

When adjusting (reducing) the creep, you're actually reducing the overlap between the single action lever and the single action sear contact surfaces.

You're right....creep is that portion of the pull that begins at the 'wall' and ends when the striker is released. Any trigger movement prior to the wall is 'takeup'.

·
Premium Member
8,647 Posts
Thanks fart for carrying balance's torch. It is very important that we continue to stress this.

·
Registered
245 Posts
This is where balance would advise that anyone providing specific details could be held liable if a discharge causes injury or death. However, you can initiate a google search.

I was just curious. My SF is as currently as perfect as a striker gun could be.

However, I wish folks would stop saying their trigger is close to a 1911. It ain't.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Not what people are saying. What they ARE saying is that the PPQ series triggers are the best of any handgun, almost as good as a 1911 😉

·
Registered
89 Posts
WatchingTime,

1) The trigger pull weight will lighten on its own as it breaks in.

2) The trigger return spring alone will lighten the trigger pull weight - I used the Sodeman TRS spring alone before the Sprinco kit was developed - I won't say how much bcz it varies (see #1).

3) As noted by Gueorgium, the results are better overall using the full kit; the two springs - as are the OEMs - are designed to perform together.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Liggett wrote: "However, I wish folks would stop saying their trigger is close to a 1911. It ain't."[/QUOTE]

You don't have to agree it's totally fine with me and I respect your opinion.

also I'm not the type of guy that jumps into debates and like to argue,but...
currently my PPQ with the Apex and Sprinco combo is better to me than few 1911 Iv'e shot lately, and some costed over 1K.

Heck my G-19 after it came back from Johnny Gluck special treatment has a better trigger than some 1911.

Simong.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts