Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening all, I purchased my PPQ two days ago and went today and purchased a 4mm punch to change the backstrap. While using the punch the pin hole on the frame split open. Can this be repaired somehow, or at least made so it will not split more? Does Walther or S&W warranty cover this and has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Can you pos some pics? (would better explain what you are exactly talking about)

I've changed my backstrap a couple times and have never noticed it crack/split

·
Registered
288 Posts
Sure looks like you went in crooked, see the raised welt on the far side in the first picture? The punch pushed against that far side causing the raised edge while the end pushed out the weak side causing the split. Hopefully like others say Walther will fix it. You may want to wait until Arkansas is fully up and running and have them do it rather than S&W.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I could have been off center, what is the opinion on Walther covering it? I just hate to have messed it up. Any idea on how long before Arkansas opens? If I am on my own, any home fix ideas, maybe pressing into place and covering with a touch of JB Weld or Liquid Nail? I have emailed Walther to ask for coverage or repair cost also.

·
Premium Member
8,638 Posts
Unless you are really good at repairs I'd suggest contacting S&W CS and talking to them. Strange as it many seem I'm not really sure damage like that is able to be repaired.
As the frame is the "pistol" (at least as far as ATF is concerned) you will need a whole new pistol.
This one is a grey area because it does appear that you went in at an angle and they may say they won't consider that a defect in workmanship. That being said, the good folks at S&W and also at Walther are usually very generous in how they interpret these things....so give them a call.
If they don't, get to a good gunsmith stat!
Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
13,816 Posts
Wow, I look at those pictures and my jaw drops....I just can't wrap my mind around how something like this could have happened. :confused: My answer to the question 'Can this be fixed?', is 'Nope'. :mad: The only real fix for this is a new frame. I'd go along with the other posters and say, give customer service a call and see if they will take care of this for you. I can only speak to my dealings with S&W 'Walter' customer support, and my experience with them has been waaayyyy more than excellent. ;) I would expect the new Walther customer support in Fort Smith to be every bit as good. Good luck, and keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
After giving both my P99&PPQ a close look at the pin area in grips, it looks like the material is fairly thin. I think I will just leave mine the way it is.:) I notice the frame Designers removed material in the pin area for looks I am guessing.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
After giving both my P99&PPQ a close look at the pin area in grips, it looks like the material is fairly thin. I think I will just leave mine the way it is.:) I notice the frame Designers removed material in the pin area for looks I am guessing.:rolleyes:
Come on now. How many people have heard of this happening before reading this thread? This area of the frame is as strong as it should be.

The frame will need to be replaced.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Come on now. How many people have heard of this happening before reading this thread? This area of the frame is as strong as it should be.

The frame will need to be replaced.
The plain fact is the pin hole is in a very thin area of the frame, and the Designers removing the material near the pin hole makes for a waiting problem. I do feel many who have had their frames crack, have used the wrong sized removing and installing tools, or just did not get the pin started correctly.;)

·
Premium Member
13,816 Posts
Use a LITTLE hammer.....tap, tap, CHECK, tap, tap, CHECK, tap tap, CHECK and so on. USE A LITTLE HAMMER, and yeah, what he said, make sure you keep the punch lined up with the whole/pin. tap, tap, check...... 2 pound hammers not allowed....and one smack is not he best proceedure....easy does it.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
The plain fact is the pin hole is in a very thin area of the frame, and the Designers removing the material near the pin hole makes for a waiting problem. I do feel many who have had their frames crack, have used the wrong sized removing and installing tools, or just did not get the pin started correctly.;)
I'm looking at this area of my P99 and PPQ right now and I'm not seeing any extra material around the roll pin that was removed. The slot on back is there for a lanyard.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I'm looking at this area of my P99 and PPQ right now and I'm not seeing any extra material around the roll pin that was removed. The slot on back is there for a lanyard.
Well look a little closer.;) I am posting in regards to the P99 not the PPQ. but IMHO both pin holes on both the P99&PPQ are in a fairly weak area.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I am sure many will disagree with me on this item, but IMHO these little changeable back straps are just a clever marketing ploy and now many handgun Mfg.s are jumping into offering them to gain sales. For many years all military handguns came in one hand size. John Brownings Colt 1911 .45acp is a great example. One size fits all.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
196 Posts
I am sure many will disagree with me on this item, but IMHO these little changeable back straps are just a clever marketing ploy and now many handgun Mfg.s are jumping into offering them to gain sales. For many years all military handguns came in one hand size. John Brownings Colt 1911 .45acp is a great example. One size fits all.:rolleyes:
Not really. Get fat, meaty hands with stubby fingers, a proper thumbs-forward grip on a 1911 and watch the grip safety engage about half the time.

One size most certainly does NOT fit all.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Not really. Get fat, meaty hands with stubby fingers, a proper thumbs-forward grip on a 1911 and watch the grip safety engage about half the time.

One size most certainly does NOT fit all.
My remark was that they built one sized Colt .45acp 1911 for the military and everyone had to get used to how they gripped it. I am not disputing that all hands are not the same size, and being able to adjust their hand grip is a good item. I am just posting when you ask someone to start punching a roll pin from a non steel hand grip, you are going to have some who have damage happen. When dealing with roll pins their are special tools for removing and installing them. There not cheap Brownell's has them. Not saying the roll pins can't be pushed out with a small drill rod, and just banged back in. Just using the correct tool has it merits.:)

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Well look a little closer.;) I am posting in regards to the P99 not the PPQ. but IMHO both pin holes on both the P99&PPQ are in a fairly weak area.
I think we'll just have to agree to disagree.

If this area was in fact "weak", I would expect to see more than a single report of this happening in the 16 years since the P99 was released.

Everyone should pay close attention to the job when removing any roll pins from any pistol if they do not want to do damage to the area around the roll pin. I wish the OP luck in dealing with Walther to get this issue resolved.

I am one that disagrees with this.

My favorite line in the new Walther Arms site is this:

"For a long time, polymer handguns had the ergonomics of a block of wood. They were boxy, clumsy and they fit badly. Worse, they had triggers like a tailgate on an old truck."

Walther Performance Design™ | Walther ArmsWalther Arms

I like it because it is true. Before Walther brought out the P99, all the polymer pistols out there, from Glock, H&K, etc., had terrible grips. Walther is the company that brought excellent grips and ergonomics to polymer pistols when they contracted Cesare Morini to come up with an ergonomic grip design for their new polymer pistol. With it, they brought the innovation of replaceable backstraps. Even on this PPQ section, there was a thread that asked which backstraps people preferred on their PPQ pistols, and there were many responses to the thread mentioning either of the three sizes.

We buy pistols with good grips because we choose not to get used to pistols with bad grips. We buy pistols with good triggers because we choose not to get used to pistols with bad triggers. These features are some of the reasons that the PPQ has become a popular choice.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts