Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is hoppes 9 dangerous to touch after its evaporated? Say if it spilled on some things in a messy crowded closet? Is there any dangerous residue? Noob and dumb question I know but still learning. Some pillows and towels got some as I guess the bottle leaked somehow. I never noticed a smell until opened my cleaning bag when I went to clean today and noticed a smell and most the cleaner was gone. Also ton got on my hands how nasty is this stuff health wise for this encounter?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I spilled some solvent in a pair of cowboy boots one time. That was the end of wearing those boots. It never cleared out enough........

·
Super Moderator
7,172 Posts
Dear heavens, it's the greatest smell on earth.
For the OP, plainly don't bathe in it, but wash your clothes and call it good.
Hoppes regs are CYA from the legal department. All of us here have used it forever, and reports of three heads developing are vastly overstated.
Moon

·
Premium Member
8,579 Posts
hoppes can bleach finishes on weapons

As long as it didn't rest on any weapons or things of a similar nature I'd think you are ok.

·
Super Moderator
7,172 Posts
Mike, I will be seeing that derby in my dreams...:D
Smells great, works about as well as anything for gun cleaning, just wash up when you're done, if you're worried.
Only caveat; Hoppes attacks copper, which is applied first in a nickle plating process; left on, it can attack the underlying copper. Wipe off the excess.

Not aware of it hurting bluing, but I've never kept a blued gun wet with it.
Moon

·
Registered
3 Posts
If it was from a very old bottle of Hoppe 9 then there is a benzine hazard. I believe they removed benzine from the current formula.

·
Registered
9,564 Posts
Nearly all solvents, cleaners, motor oil, gasoline, diesel fuel, paint thinners, etc. are bad for you. But it takes a lot of exposure over a lot of years before any problems might surface. Most of us simply go about our business with these and many other products then simply washing our hands after use. I would wash everything that got any of the Hoppes on it and proceed from there. Wash separately....there may be damage, there might not be. All of the above stuff can penetrate your skin. 1917

·
Registered
510 Posts
While cleaning a couple of handguns on the kitchen table Laminate top, some soaked through the towel I had down. Sure enough in a couple of areas where the hoppes took the shine right off! Wife wasn't to happy! But on clothing etc., a quick wash might get it out. Not sure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts