Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am the owner of a PPQ M2 9mm with XS F8 night sights factory installed.

Reading all the posts here, I became interested in Speed Sights. I ordered a set and installed them. Here is my review.

Installation was very easy. I think anyone could do it if they have the proper tools. No sight pusher required. Took me about 10 minutes.

Now off to the range.

The only real negative I have about the Speed Sights is that the sight picture advertised wasn't the same as what I experienced. I tried to shoot with the top corner of the sights like their website says. This resulted in low shots.

I quickly switched to a combat sight (cover the target with the front tritium dot) and I was dead on accurate. In fact I really chewed up the bullseye on a couple of targets.

In essence what I have bought, is a slightly different set of combat 3 dot sights. Are they quick to line up? Yes, they are quicker and more accurate than 3 dots for combat sighting. Are they accurate with a combat sight picture? Very.

I am probably going to keep them. With the sight picture that they advertise, I was hoping that I would have fun shooting some extended range targets. However, with a combat sight, you lose the target at long range because you are covering it up.

Just to close it out, you can line those diamonds up fast. I like them. Just disappointed that they don't give me the sight picture that is advertised.

·
Registered
300 Posts
They might be superior to other sights, but $170 for tritiums is absurd.

If I was going to look at Speeds for a PPS M2. I might consider a RMS
equipped PPS M2, and have a red dot.

However...Speeds for a PPQ 9m or .45 might be well worth the money spent.

Reactions: RegisG

·
Premium Member
8,669 Posts
They might be superior to other sights, but $170 for tritiums is absurd.
Actually $170.00 is around the suggested price for a set of tritium night sights.

TruGlo is asking $185 for the TFX Pros on their website....one just needs to shop around as these become more wide spread if price is a concern.

While I wouldn't quite class the Speed Sights as "combat night sights" they come darn close and as far as I'm concerned that is life support. Just what is your life worth???

I did have a chance to try the Speed Sights recently (on a Glock) they are good. I do think the TFX Pros beat them over all but not by much. They are worth the $170 investment in life support.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I emailed someone at speed sights today. If I will provide them with measurement of how low the gun is shooting and the distance, they will offer me another (slightly taller) rear sight. I will keep you guys posted. I am pretty impressed with their customer support. I didn't expect that. I'll try to post some pics when I go to the range this weekend.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Speedsights are designed to have the bullet hit at the tip of the diamond. They do when shooting with a neutral shooting form. The issue some can have is that every one shoots ever so slightly different. It can’t be avoided with a lot of shooters. Factor in various ammo and you increased the complexity of this scenario. A 45acp 180gr and a 230gr impact a lot different so how do you address these factors for pin point accuracy???? We talked about this at Speedsights. You tend not to see these minor variations with poi changes with a strong combat sighting system. That’s a dirty little secret why the combat hold is used so much by manufactures as it allows it to mask these mirror shooter influences with point of impact.
The solution at Speedsights is to make a slight variation to the rear sight to accommodate these personal shooting styles. They can be addresses on a case by case basis. You will find that the factory Speedsight set-up does shoot at the tip of the diamond for most neutral shooting forms.
Speedsight absolutely wants to deliver a higher standard in accuracy for every Speedsight user and why they are addressing even these minor issuse to accommodate these certain customers.

First try different weight Ammo. 115gr and 147gr will have a different impact. Plinking Ammo is all over the place so I tend to test the Speedsights with HST 124 and HST 147 as that is a premium defensive Ammo.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I said in another post that I anticipated using sight picture #3 with the SpeedSights, after taking my PPQ M2 SC to the range I can categorically state that I’m an idiot. With the SpeedSights installed the Point of Impact is definitely the tip of the front diamond. I shot 3 different brands of ammo and all of the consistently hit the bullseye when lined up on the top of the front sight. All bullets were 115gr so I would expect some variation when using a heavier bullet.

I am totally sold on these sights, now I have to consider getting them for all my other guns. 😳

1 - 6 of 6 Posts