Walther Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How come the only grips that work reliably with my German made PPK/S from 1978 are the black plastic ones it came with?
Every aftermarket grip I tried from the cheap and barely fitting to the fancy hand made wooden ones that near enough jumped on the gun and settled into place by themselves introduces FTFs and makes the mags not drop free anymore.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My guess is that the factory-supplied grips are molded specifically to accommodate the action parts that are on the outside of the gun frame, as well as movement of the magazine. And molds are better at turning out the same product every time. The 1911 platform, where almost everything important to function is inside, doesn't have this problem, nor does it require the intrusion of the grip material into the frame itself, which PP-series pistols do.

·
Registered
104 Posts
PPKs aren’t unique with this problem. I got a set of replacement grips for my 44 Auto Mag from GRIPS4u.net. They warn of some ‘minor fitting’ that ‘might’ be required.

Out of the box they looked beautiful but wouldn’t even go on the gun. There are loads of levers and twangers and dingles crucial to the functioning of the gun on the outside of the frame, and I needed to do a lot of relieving to get them on.

First time I fired it, one broke, because the grip was under tension due to insufficient clearancing on my part. I got a second pair, then went to town with my Dremel tool and really made the (tiny) wood chips fly. Now they fit and work perfectly and don’t touch anything they shouldn’t.

Bottom line—if you like what you see, the finished result will be worth the effort needed to get them to fit.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Both sets of Grips4U grips I've installed needed some VERY minor trimming and shaping to achieve desired results, and I'm borderline OCD. a few drops of Tung oil blends the trimmed area so it's not visible.

I have 4 sets of Nill grips, 3 set are snug (target grips for my P5/P6/P7 shooters). The other set was installed on my safe queen P88 Compact at Ulm over 25 years ago. These are REALLY tight.

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
My Grips4U sets needed very minor adjusting and I mean extremely minor adjusting on my PPs, PPK and PPK/S weapons.

I use Grips4U rather than factory grips for the range or carry to protect the OEM grips...

·
Super Moderator
7,319 Posts
...There are loads of levers and twangers and dingles crucial to the functioning of the gun...

Be apprised this nearly caused a coffee launch....:D

Much as I'd like some 'pretty' grips, the wood ones never felt right; too bulky, and lost that feel that is the PPK's best feature.
Moon

Reactions: pilkguns

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
This is not a big mystery. Cycle the action by hand a dozen times, then remove the offending grips and examine the inside surfaces of them for chafing marks that reveal where they're rubbing the trigger bar or magazine. A little Dykem, prussian blue or lampblack on the suspected areas will help.

Shave the wood accordingly.

M

·
Registered
964 Posts
It is for wise bits of information like this that mg Mike just seemingly pull out of that cavernous vault that is his brain that makes us all glad that he is our curmudgeon and we are glad he is here . At least I am ,have learnt a lot from him . Thank you Mike ,you are a gem . Ayb

·
Registered
616 Posts
Unfortunately common sense is not so common anymore. But axyard is right, you do feed us all with nuggets of trivia and knowledge not to be found elsewhere.

Reactions: halfmoonclip

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
There are few things in life more thrilling than a nice handgun, a fine grip panel, and the shrill whine of a Dremel tool mounted with a sharp spiral steel burr!

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
... the shrill whine of a Dremel tool mounted with a sharp spiral steel burr!
...which perversely always seems to want to climb in the wrong direction.

Careful scraping (not cutting) with an X-Acto blade is usually all that is required.

Sometimes just loosening the grip screw by half a turn provides an important clue on where the grips are binding.

M

·
Super Moderator
7,319 Posts
What, for using common sense instead of guesswork & a Dremel?

M

Ah, rookies. NO mention of a bench grinder and a big stinkin' hammer... :eek:

White board marker makes a tolerable poor man's Prussian blue.

Moon

·
Registered
136 Posts
Grips

+1 on Altmont walnut grips. I got mine for my PPK/S Ranger a few years back. Now they say the grips are only for S&W models. I had no problems with installation and really like the looks of walnut and blued steel.

Duncan

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Bakelite, with varying amounts of woody material (cellulose) and dyes.

·
Registered
108 Posts
i tried extensive carving on Altamont grips for my Interarms/Ranger PPK. No luck. I can't stop them from interfering with the trigger mechanism. I finally gave up

1 - 19 of 19 Posts