Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran across an offer today that I couldn't pass up. I've been lusting after the Sig P232 Stainless on the Sig/Sauer website ever since I bought my PPK. I was looking at a blued P232 and the stainless PPK/S. They were both the same price and I had always wanted a PPK so I took home the Walther. I really liked the P232 but I wanted it in stainless, the only problem is that the stainless is about $200 more expensive than the blued model. I couldn't justify spending that much money on a .380 so I chalked it up to the "dream" list.

Then today I decided to stop into my favorite local gun store and what should I find sitting on the bottom of the used shelf? A Sig/Sauer P230 SL, looking for a loving home. I asked to look at it and had to keep myself from jumping up and down when I saw the $300 price tag. I bought it on the spot without even looking at the Springfield 1911 I originally came to buy (they would have had to order it for me in any case, they didn't have any in stock).

So here she is! This is just a preliminary photo. I'll have a higher quality one after this week is over (too much work to get done [xx(])

I was planning a trip to the range with a buddy of mine today so I brought the new Sig with me. It worked flawlessly the entire time. I put about 150 rounds through it and there wasn't a single issue. The gun is very comfortable to shoot and recoils almost as little as my Bersa does. It really fits my hand well and after I got used to the European magazine release I appreciated the lack of buttons between the trigger and grip. Take down was actually easier than my Walther and much easier than the Bersa.

I can't tell what year this gun was made but if you look closely in the picture you can see the "Made in W.Germany" stamp. This would appear to date the gun before the fall of the Berlin Wall. I like this, it gives the gun a feeling of history. There are only minor differences between the P230 and P232, it still has all the same safety features and is supposedly drop safe. For $300 I'm not complaining about it not being new, especially for the condition this gun is in.

In case anyone is wondering, I still have my PPK and it will always be in my collection. I love my Walther to much to ever get rid of it. ;)

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Lucky find!

I have always loved the Walther, but as a shooting pistol the Sig 230 and 232's are better.

You can now enjoy the best of both worlds!

How about a comparison photo when/if you get the chance.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
DtG: Nice job, indeed -- and a great find. Congrats to you, sir.

The original post was designed to spark some discussion about the differences in shooting characteristics between the Walther and the Sig. (PPK/S shooters constantly talk about the gun's bite.) Based on your experiences thus far, you would rate the Sig as far easier on the hand -- is that a correct assessment? If so, can you provide any specifics as to what exactly makes that so? Is it a design flaw in the Walther? A superior design from the Sig folks? Something else entirely?

Thanks again for sharing. And the next time you stumble on a deal like that, please let me know.

Searcher

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
The original post was designed to spark some discussion about the differences in shooting characteristics between the Walther and the Sig. (PPK/S shooters constantly talk about the gun's bite.)

Searcher
Really? I thought Dave was just telling us about the great deal he got on his 230 and feedback on his experience at the range. Just wondering how you came to that conclusion. Especially since there is already a detailed thread called "PPK/S v. Sig 232?" that discusses that very point. :confused:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Really? I thought Dave was just telling us about the great deal he got on his 230 and feedback on his experience at the range. Just wondering how you came to that conclusion. Especially since there is already a detailed thread called "PPK/S v. Sig 232?" that discusses that very point. :confused:
That is correct. :)

In answer to your question though searcher451, it's the ergonomics of the Sig that make it the more comfortable shooter. It has a slightly longer frame and the grips wrap around the back of the gun (similar to the PPK) rather than having the bare frame against your hand (like the PPK/S). The Sig simply fits my hand better. I can't tell you the specifics of the internal design that make it feel better, just the ergonomics. If you handle the two side by side you can feel for yourself. Both are very finely machined and I'd trust my life to either one.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
My bad, Deputy and DtG, for not being specific: I was referring to the original post, which has been out for more than a week, and not to this one.

Seeing as how David had just test-fired the Sig, I was hoping for a direct comparison of the Sig v. the Walther PPK/S. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
My bad, Deputy and DtG, for not being specific: I was referring to the original post, which has been out for more than a week, and not to this one.

Seeing as how David had just test-fired the Sig, I was hoping for a direct comparison of the Sig v. the Walther PPK/S. Sorry for the confusion.
No sweat. I'm an old geezer and spend most of my time confused. So I am right at home :D . I thought maybe I had missed something that Dave had said.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
No, it was all me. Sorry for getting ahead of myself. And I appreciate
DtG's comments regarding the Sig v. the PPK/S. That's most helpful.

For what it's worth:

I called my FFL dealer after seeing the line on Southern Ohio Gun's
offerings of the Sig 230 model. His comment, after consulting his
flyer from SOGD, was that the gun costs him $450, plus shipping,
plus credit fees, and would be over $500 by the time it got to me
-- not near the $300 I was hoping for. I'm better off buying the
new Sig 232 for $510 or so, which is what it's being offered for
locally. Or ... maybe I'm actually better off getting a C&R license
and ontaining price quotes directly from SOGD.

Salute.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
The fact that you can obtain prices directly from SOGD without going through an FFL might well be reason enough to get a C&R license. I'd
be interested to see what you come up with for a price. I trust my
day-to-day dealer, but I understand that he's in business to make a
profit and not merely to extend great deals to me. Then again, what
has he done for me lately!

·
Banned
7,055 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just like to add that I found out the production year of my gun. There's a two letter stamp that tells you the year.

My gun has the "JH" stamp which stands for 87, or 1987. My gun was made two years before the fall of the Berlin Wall.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts