Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a source for the early style (flat blade) dovetailed rear sight. The only sources for PPK rear sights that I can find are selling the triangular sight with the recess (Von Stavenhagen style) sights. Does anyone repro the flat sights? If not, does anyone have a dimensional drawing that I could use to make one? Thanks.
-Drew

·
Registered
862 Posts
I am looking for one as well for a spare to widen the notch for my old eyes and gunpartscorp Numerich are out of stock.
I have a nice set of calipers and will measure mine and post the specs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am looking for one as well for a spare to widen the notch for my old eyes and gunpartscorp Numerich are out of stock.
I have a nice set of calipers and will measure mine and post the specs.
Thanks ViperR. I have a milling machine, I may be able to work up a couple. If I can make a serviceable copy I'll send you one for your trouble.
-Drew

·
Registered
862 Posts
Thanks Drew. I'll get that going. What type of annealed metal are you going to use? A2 or 01? I have worked with both and they are easy to machine, harden and draw. Takes bluing well after drawing it down. here is a picture to start with.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
That seems like a lot of trouble for a part that was still standard on PP-series pistols at late as 1968 and maybe later.

I've got one in my parts drawer --used but undamaged--for the first guy who sends me a PM and wants to pay $20 me for my trouble. Shipping included.

M

·
Registered
862 Posts
Drew gets it. He needs one and mine is only for a spare.
Thanks Mike!
I'm still going to post drawings, since I'm 1/2 way through with them.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Ok, gave me something to do today. Forgive my rough drawings, but I think they are ok.
This is for the rear sight before they converted to the block style rear sight and the thicker front with the white bar & dot.
The measurements with the green asterisks should be machined a bit larger by a few thousandths for final fitting into the dovetail, since they can vary. All other specs are above the dovetail and really don't make any difference.
I like working with O1 over A2 simply because it machines a bit cleaner with almost no tool galling and is usually smoother after drawing it back after hardening. Polishes up nicer and takes a cold blue well. Sadly, I have no larger stock than 1/8" x 1/2" to try to make a rear sight.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That seems like a lot of trouble for a part that was still standard on PP-series pistols at late as 1968 and maybe later.

I've got one in my parts drawer --used but undamaged--for the first guy who sends me a PM and wants to pay $20 me for my trouble. Shipping included.

M
MGMike,
I'll take it! send me a PM with how to pay you.
-Drew

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, gave me something to do today. Forgive my rough drawings, but I think they are ok.
This is for the rear sight before they converted to the block style rear sight and the thicker front with the white bar & dot.
The measurements with the green asterisks should be machined a bit larger by a few thousandths for final fitting into the dovetail, since they can vary. All other specs are above the dovetail and really don't make any difference.
I like working with O1 over A2 simply because it machines a bit cleaner with almost no tool galling and is usually smoother after drawing it back after hardening. Polishes up nicer and takes a cold blue well. Sadly, I have no larger stock than 1/8" x 1/2" to try to make a rear sight.
Thanks ViperR. I'll have to see what I have lying around the shop when I get back in town. I'm not great with my metallurgy, the only stock I know for sure that I have on hand in close to the right size is cold rolled 1018.
-Drew

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
The measurements with the green asterisks should be machined a bit larger by a few thousandths for final fitting into the dovetail, since they can vary. ...
Actually they vary quite a bit, so you are wise to allow some extra material.
There might also be basic dimensional differences between WWII and postwar, I don't know.

There were also at least two versions of the blade-type rear sight; around 1975 the notch was changed from a narrow U to a wider square notch, with no other differences.

Those interested in removing the rear sight should recognize that they were driven in from left to right, and should be driven out in the opposite direction, right to left. When in doubt, note the scrapes in the blue on the male dovetail.

Much misery can be avoided by not even attempting this procedure without a sturdy bench vise and padded jaws, and by amply protecting the polished slide flats and the surfaces adjacent to the dovetail with vinyl electrical tape...

M

1 - 10 of 10 Posts