Walther Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I've googled and looked up as many PPQ slide lock back issues before my post. Hoping someone can perhaps suggest another possible reason why my slide is locking back on my PPQ 45. Been to the range five times and it's happened every time. Not consistently. Probably every second or third shot.

I bought it used. Apparently under 500 rounds through it. The previous owner appears to be a straight up guy and I am pretty sure he wouldn't have sold me a dud firearm. I've lost contact with him.
I'm using CCI Blazer (brass) 230 gr FMJ. Unfortunately I don't have any other ammo to try at this time.
I have tried 4 different magazines
I have made sure it is not my grip. Making sure I have a firm grip. Thumbs well away from the slide lock. I even tried shooting with my other hand and single hand.
The firearm is well lubed and cleaned after every range trip.
I read some thread it could be the ejector spring? I can't seem to find a photo on how it should look when the slide is off. I've attached pic of mine and how the locking bar angle with and without the slide on.

One other thing is when I remove my slide, my recoil spring just drops out. No tension. The previous owner had told me that was normal and in fact it is a new spring. Is that typical for the PPQ?

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,881 Posts
Well, here's what I'm thinkin'. There's a spring that rides 'on top' of the slide stop lever to keep it in the 'down' position. One end of the spring sticks in a tiny hole in the inside of the frame 'green arrow'.....the 'white arrow' is simply pointing to the spring......the rear end of the spring 'red arrow' can't be seen in this picture, but, this this end that will be 'on top' of the slide stop lever. I'm thinking when someone removed the slide stop lever and reinstalled, they didn't ensure the spring was on top of that little nub on the slide stop lever. THAT'd cause the problem your having.

In addition, the slide stop lever should be laying parallel to the slide or the recess/ledge in the frame.....yours is cocked up. See second picture.

Air gun Trigger Machine gun Shotgun Line

Air gun Trigger Grey Gun barrel Gas

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, here's what I'm thinkin'. There's a spring that rides 'on top' of the slide stop lever to keep it in the 'down' position. One end of the spring sticks in a tiny hole in the inside of the frame 'green arrow'.....the 'white arrow' is simply pointing to the spring......the rear end of the spring 'red arrow' can't be seen in this picture, but, this this end that will be 'on top' of the slide stop lever. I'm thinking when someone removed the slide stop lever and reinstalled, they didn't ensure the spring was on top of that little nub on the slide stop lever. THAT's cause the problems your having.

In addition, the slide stop lever should be laying parallel to the slide or the recess/ledge in the frame.....yours is cocked up. See second picture.

View attachment 101153

View attachment 101154
It appears the slide stop gets pushed up slightly only when the magazine is in. However when the magazine is removed, it stays somewhat parallel. But you bring up a very good point. What I did was bend the spring downwards more so the ejector spring is now angling down more in line with the 15 degree (?) angle cut on the frame. So now with the slide off, the stop lever is more parallel with the top of the frame as there is now more pressure down on the nub of the slide lock.. As you can see with second attached photo, the slide stop was still sitting very slightly up. Now it is pretty parallel. I've confirmed that spring is sitting on top of the little nub in the rear, and the spring in the green arrow caption is in the tiny hole in the frame.

I'm going to see if this solve the issue when I go to the range again. Thank you very much for your response.

·
Super Moderator
14,881 Posts
When I look at this picture, the spring seems to be setting too high, when its at rest, meaning its not going to be putting any, or too little downward pressure on that nub on the slide lock lever. When reinstalling the left side slide lock lever, I've ALWAYS got to lift that spring UP to get it on top of the nub.

Air gun Trigger Machine gun Shotgun Line

Attachments

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
OF is probably on the right track but there is one other possibility. If the original owner disassembled the pistol by removing the slide lock "pin" it's possible he reinstalled the right side lever incorrectly. If that "star" pin is misaligned it will definitely cause a slight upward lift on the lock and that could be just enough to cause unintended lock back. Now, guess how I discovered that!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OF is probably on the right track but there is one other possibility. If the original owner disassembled the pistol by removing the slide lock "pin" it's possible he reinstalled the right side lever incorrectly. If that "star" pin is misaligned it will definitely cause a slight upward lift on the lock and that could be just enough to cause unintended lock back. Now, guess how I discovered that!
The star pin slide lock on the other side was one of the possible issue I looked into after each of my range trip. As far as I can tell, it is in the frame properly and the pin inserted correctly. I am hoping the bending of the ejector spring will correct the issue at this point. I wont be able to go to the range until next weekend but I will keep everyone posted. Thank you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: I just got back from the range. Ran off 50 rounds without a single hiccup. Looks like the issue was indeed the ejector spring. It was either not on the nub, or too stretched up so it put enough pressure down on the lock bar. Thank you for getting me on the right track and fixing this issue. Oh, and it was unbelievably accurate and wow what a trigger! I am a Walther believer for life now!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Update: I just got back from the range. Ran off 50 rounds without a single hiccup. Looks like the issue was indeed the ejector spring. It was either not on the nub, or too stretched up so it put enough pressure down on the lock bar. Thank you for getting me on the right track and fixing this issue. Oh, and it was unbelievably accurate and wow what a trigger! I am a Walther believer for life now!
Welcome on board!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you gentlemen. I thought I replied back earlier when IOF sent the link (very helpful) but it was sitting in my draft. I must have missed hitting sent. Man..first the Walther and now the forum. Haha

1 - 13 of 13 Posts