Walther Forums banner

Soon to be Q5 owner

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  herroberst82 
#1 · (Edited)
This will be my second intro to the forum, if you will.

My journey through handguns started with a 1911, and eventually took me through various 2nd and 3rd Gen Smiths, a PF 9, a G17 and G29, an M&P 9c, 40c, a Python, a S&W 44 mag, and more 1911s. The non-1911s never really kept my attention, and were all sold to fund more 1911s through the years. However, I am now at point where I feel the need for a quality, hi-cap 9mm polymer (I even sold a 9mm 1911 to make room for it :eek:).

I did my due diligence and handled as many different polymers as I could locally, and sought advice from other forums I am a part of. This all led me to the Walther Q5 Match. What is most surprising about this decision is that I had written off Walthers many years ago due to what I considered an ugly design. I just couldn't like it. Forum folks repeatedly said the triggers are the best, the ergos are the most comfortable, etc., and I decided maybe I should look at them again.

I found a PPQ M2 at Cabelas, and really liked the way it felt in my hand. Because of Cabelas' locked trigger policy, I wasn't able to try the trigger. I had handled several other pistols in the meantime, and had pretty much decided to get something from Sig or HK. I thought my decision had been made.

Several forum members kept mentioning the Q5, but I never bothered to look it up, until yesterday. What I found was almost everything I was looking for. Longer slide and barrel, high capacity, optic ready slide, and a decent trigger (so everyone said). I had originally wanted a manual thumb safety, but decided it wasn't a deal breaker.

This all led me to this forum. I read through a few posts about the Q5, and the looks of it really grew on me. I made the decision last night to go ahead and order one. Just so happens Buds is selling them fairly cheap. I hope to have it next week sometime.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
The Q5 has the slide cut out for optics, if you want/need that. The regular PPQ 5in is basically the same pistol but not optics-ready. More recently, there are some other options as well: M1 and M2 models in the Q5 and PPQ 5in. You can also get the PPQ 5in with the slide ported or not ported. So many choices......

I have a PPQ 5in M1 version. Came with 15 rnd and 17 rnd magazines from Gunbroker. Love it !

Best regards,
Dave

#5 ·
No, all my PPQ triggers have been great from day one: PPQ M1 4”, PPQ M1 5”, and PPQ 45.

However, I don’t have a Q5 so I can’t comment on that. From all the various threads on this forum, you can do a lot to smooth out the trigger by simply lubing the correct parts. Also, you can take apart the firing pin block and spring and make sure that that is clean and that the spring is set right. There are many many threads on this forum where all that is discussed. I have seen recently that there is a new upgraded firing pin block part for the Q5, but again, I don’t have one so I haven’t dug into that.

Another thing that helps is to go shoot a couple thousand rounds and see how things smooth out :D. !!

Best regards,
Dave

#6 ·
Received the Q yesterday. The trigger has more takeup than I had expected, but is smooth and consistent throughout. I just need to realize it is not a 1911 trigger. Break is good enough, and reset is short as reported by many others. The backstraps on the pistol as it shipped are comfortable enough, and I have not switched them out for a different fit. Overall, I think we will be a good fit. Mounted an Inforce APL and RMR06, as this is potentially going to be for HD in addition to range use. No plans to carry...yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.