Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The PK380 markets itself as “the grandson of the PPK”. So what is the “son” of the PPK?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,356 Posts
Don't overthink it, druryj. Marketing hyperbole. ;)
Moon

Reactions: Redcat94

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
They didn't make many in .380 but the PP Super would be a good candidate.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
The PK380 markets itself as “the grandson of the PPK”.
I know that the description of the PK380 subforum mentions the PK380 to be the "grandson of legendary PPK". I have always wondered where this strange term comes from. But I can't remember ever having noticed this expression for the Pistole Kompakt on an advertisement by Walther. Where did you find it?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So...the poor PK-380 doesn't know for sure who his daddy is...

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
By the way, some other sub-forum descriptions are also misleading or grammatically wrong, because there are no PP/S or TP/H models for instance.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
But I can't remember ever having noticed this expression for the Pistole Kompakt on an advertisement by Walther. Where did you find it?
The K in PPK stands for Kriminal, for Kriminalpolizei, the criminal investigation agency within German police forces, what we would call plainclothes police or detectives.

- gonzo, SoCenPA. "Before all else, be armed." --Niccolo Machiavelli

·
Registered
556 Posts
The PK380 has none of the DNA of the PP/PPK. The only thing of any significance that they have in common is the name, Walther.

Although it seems that some PK380s were manufactured and proofed in Ulm (member Balogh presented a picture of two such examples in an August 2018 thread), the PK380 is made in Arnsberg by Umarex, a company whose products are fondly referred to by some users as “Umar-Wrecks”.

While we’re on the subject, here is a very interesting little story from the world of Umar-Wrecks. For those who don’t read German, the articles are worth a session on Google Translate:

Mitarbeiter von Sauerländer Firma lässt jahrelang Waffenteile mitgehen - Details zur Vorgehensweise

…….and the day of reckoning:

Waffenteile aus Fabrik im Sauerland gestohlen: Pistolen für 250 Euro verkauft

Balor

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
By the way, did the spelling of "Pistol Kompact" seem strange to me only? Did Walther's marketing department once again let the apprentice do all the work?

·
Registered
49 Posts
The daddy is known... This is a page from the Walther's 2011 catalogue:
View attachment 95449
Now THAT I can believe. The PK380 has no similarity to the PPK. The PPK is a quality firearm, the PPK is more of a toy in my experience. Mine has serious issues with the slide actually wearing grooves in the top of the barrel. Fit and finish are also nothing like the PPK.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts