Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...check the local places today.

Img_0476.jpg
Picked up this very clean Sig P230 in 7.65mm this afternoon.
KH (1997) dated, Kiel proofed.

Obviously fired very little. Perfect grips, glass smooth shiny lands and grooves. Single action trigger breaks at 4.25lb.

Downsides? No box, no papers, and only one mag, and the mags appear to be difficult to find too...

Still, I'm a happy camper today.

·
Super Moderator
7,356 Posts
Blitz', thot' I'd responded to this, and I don't see my post.
Your pistol is the twin of mine; found mine LNIB at a recent gunshow.
According to the vendor, the manual safety and lanyard loop are indications that this pistol was originally made for the Japanese Police. They make aftermarket grips problematic.
Extra mags are an issue as well. I'll try to dig out 'the Clip Joint' guy's number (he's not online, but works the local shows).
Like its 7.65 Walther cousins, the gun is a real sweetheart to shoot, and an elegant piece of gunmaking.
Moon

Reactions: Pilotsteve

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting about the Japanese Police. I was wondering why it had a lanyard loop, as I've never see a 230 or 232 with one before.

Were these not delivered/issued to the Japanese?

I have a show coming near the end of the month so I'll be looking for some there, but if you have a lead, I would appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
It would not surprise me if the same magazine were used in .380, but I don't know that for a fact.

Is the spine a "zipper-back" type?

M

·
Super Moderator
7,356 Posts
Mike, it is indeed 'zipper backed', and .380 rounds enter and present normally. The mag is simply marked 'Sig Sauer'.

Blitz', my source for magazines is Jim Shaffer, 412-672-6830. He has quite an assortment, and knows what he has...and what it's worth. He is vehemently not online. It would be interesting to see if he agrees with Mike's assertion. It certainly seems reasonable.

BTW, my serial # s 1816xx. Again, according to the vendor, they were an overrun for the Japanese police.
Enjoy your pistole.
Moon

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the number HMC.

Mike, that thought crossed my mind as well, seeing as the 32's rim is larger than the case itself. A pity I have no .380 mags of any kind to test with.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took the P230 to the range this afternoon. With proper ammo she is a very good shooting pistol. No complaints as it performs just like my 1937 PP and Beretta Model 70 with the same types of ammo used, to wit...

S&B and GECO are exemplary. NO issues of any kind, 100% functionality, with good accuracy.

Fiocchi is observably less accurate and I had two instances of it not cycling the slide enough to pick up the next round in the mag.

PMC Bronze. Complete garbage. Failures to eject causing stoppages which required dropping the mag and several slide manipulations to clear the weapon. Several times in two mags worth of trying it. Not real accurate either. This stuff would only be acceptable in a revolver chambered in .32acp, if there was such a thing.

I really like this little Sig. The sights (front white dot and a vertical white bar on the rear like a P5) were easy to pick up, and the SA trigger is quite usable. A smooth running machine.

Now to find some more mags.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been keeping an eye on that thread sir.

I will say I've not had an issue with Fiocchi in 9x19 or 45acp, but, I won't go out of my way to stock it anymore either.

·
Super Moderator
7,356 Posts
Oddly, Fiocchi makes an hellacious .357 140 gr FMJ that performs better than any of my handloads in a snub; last ditch for bears....crowding 1200'sec in a Smith 640.
But I'll avoid their 7.65.
Blitz', let me know if you find another mag, and how expensive it is....I wouldn't mind one more.
Moon

·
Premium Member
1,835 Posts
Oddly, Fiocchi makes an hellacious .357 140 gr FMJ that performs better than any of my handloads in a snub; last ditch for bears....crowding 1200'sec in a Smith 640.
But I'll avoid their 7.65.
Blitz', let me know if you find another mag, and how expensive it is....I wouldn't mind one more.
Moon
Funny you say that. I've had excellent results out of my Kimber K6s with that load. It's my preferred 357 mag practice load for the gun.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
At one time (maybe still) Fiocchi made (or had made for them) 9mm Para ammunition at a plant in the United States. A long time ago I ordered a case of 115-gr FMJ. My notes relate that it had a NATO-symbol headstamp and was dated '86. The printed info on the case stated "Muzzle Velocity 1185 fps".

I chronographed it and could not believe the result: 10 shots averaged exactly 1185 fps. It must have been accidental, but I was impressed. But that was a long time ago.

The 7.65 Para I'm referring to above was made in Italy.

M

1 - 12 of 12 Posts