Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, here's my story.  

i've owned a .40 P99 with the original trigger which i stupidly traded for a non-walther pistol (even though i'm not a .40 fan).  i had a long-term loaner from my dad in 9mm, also in AS, which i recenly returned to him.  

this leaves me without a P99 and i'm having serious withdrawals  

so i go to one of the local gunshops that i know carries walthers to check out what they had, which was 2 .40 QA's and a used '02 with the classic trigger (also in .40)

blech, i don't want a .40, i'm a 9mm man so i asked the salesman to see if he could locate a 9mm AS.  no luck.  

but while i was at the shop i dry-fired one of the .40 QA's a few times just out of curiousity since i've heard so much bad QA system.  i was very pleasantly surprised  
 with the QA trigger.  

i'm buying this pistol for carry.  the P99 is the most comfortable full-size pistol i've ever carried.  i don't like to carry weapons with external safeties.  i typically carry a SA/DA hammer down on a live round.  since i'm without a P99, i've been carrying my fairly new CZ 75 P-01.  i also have an XD9 subcompact, which most of you are familiar with the trigger system.  once in a while, i'll carry a bulgiarian makarov.  as you can see, i like the 'grab and go', 'point and click' approach to defense pistols.  my safety is between my ears.

now for the questions:

does anyone feel the QA has too light a trigger for CCW (using a good holster of course)?
since i've only dry-fired a QA, what is the reset like on the QA trigger?
i like the idea of one very managable trigger pull for the whole mag (like my XD), but does anyone find the QA unmanagable in defensive type shooting (high-speed, double-/triple-tap shooting)?  

personally, the QA trigger was neither too long nor too heavy for me at the shop today, but i've never fired that system on a P99.  i'm a pretty big guy with big hands.  i'm an HVAC mechanic, and my hands/arms are unusually strong, so i don't think long or heavy triggers bother me like they might some others.  all triggers feel light to me

should i go for the QA?  it will be much easier to obtain a NIB QA than an AS.  i'm pretty sure i could like the trigger on the QA.  in a defensive situation, the first shot could be the only or the deciding shot you get off.  

help me convince myself it's not too light for carry

frye

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
The QA trigger pull and weight are fine for a carry pistol. It's certainly a heavier trigger than a Glock (5.5 pounds) and at least a million people carry those as duty guns. Just for comparison, the QA's trigger is sitting just around 7.5 - 8 pounds and there are a ton of people carrying 1911's with trigger pulls of 4 pounds or less. -So the QA's trigger is not too light for a carry gun.

The reset of the QA is relatively long when compared to some other guns, but it hasn't stopped me from doing a double tap. A lot of people get wrapped around the axles about such things but the reality is if you train well with the gun, you can get used to almost anything. -I can't remember his name, but there used to be a shooter from South Africa who used a bone stock Hi-Power (with standard small military sights and the magazine disconnect intact) and he dominated competition shooting events.

I'm not saying you should get a QA if you have your heart set on the old DA/SA trigger. I never liked DA/SA so, for me, the QA was a real bonus. You should easily be able to find a used DA/SA P99 in good shape on one of the gun boards or on auction sites like gunbroker.com or auctionarms.com. I think CDNN Investments may still have some of the AS guns for around $450. That said, if you decide to go with the QA, it can definitely be counted on in a defensive situation.

Good luck with your selection.

·
Registered
88 Posts
QA is just fine and seems like firing quickly would be a non issue. Will you be able to fire as fast as with the AS trigger type? Probably not, but then again you aren't going to be hitting much shooting that fast without practice.

Is the QA a good gun? Hell yeah.

If you have your heart set on the AS though, you're gonna wind up getting one eventually anyway. You might as well try to find it now so you only buy it once :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
does anyone feel the QA has too light a trigger for CCW (using a good holster of course)?

Not at all. At roughly 7 lbs I consider it to be too heavy. But then I am used to 4 lbs single action 1911 trigger. I chose the AS model simply cause I like the second strike capability and like the sweet SA pull for follow ups.

since i've only dry-fired a QA, what is the reset like on the QA trigger?

You can try the reset by holding the trigger back and cycling the action and then release the trigger till it resets.

I like the idea of one very managable trigger pull for the whole mag (like my XD), but does anyone find the QA unmanagable in defensive type shooting (high-speed, double-/triple-tap shooting)?

No, you should be fine with the QA trigger. Should you ever have to use the gun in a defensive situation you wont notice the trigger pul. Adrenalin has a tendency to over come a lot of things. Along with the lawyer, it is the reason why more and more duty guns are going to higher trigger weights. People under stress tend to loose fine motor skills right quick, so the tiny pull on a match trigger can be overcome quickly and almost reflexively. Rather than properly training people have been lazy and started to resort to mechanical advantage.

Your QA should serve you well IF you train with it. If you get lazy and refuse to train, NOTHING will help you in your time of need.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my biggest concern with the fairly light trigger on the QA mainly comes from holstering the pistol.  something lodged in the holster or piece of clothing could theoretically pull a trigger.  

i carry CCW basically always, so holstering a pistol is something i do pretty often.  i figure my greatest chance for AD is while holstering a pistol.  i have good trigger guard discipline with my finger, so i'm not worried about accidently discharging the pistol with it.  i ride the hammers/striker indicator with my thumb when holstering to see if they are moving, except for the XD.  i just don't depress the backstrap safety when holstering it.  i'm assuming i can do the same with a QA.  the indicator does come out with trigger pull.  there is something reassuring about reholstering a pistol with a 12+ pound DA trigger or a pistol with a safety system like an XD, though.  

as for the trigger reset, it's very hard to judge a reset by pulling and holding the trigger in and recocking the striker (i have an XD, i've tried it  
).  i want opinions on how it feels under quick live fire.  the XD has a longer reset travel than other SA pistols.  how different is the QA from typical SA resets?

the only thing i have against the AS trigger system is that it takes two hands (or another part of your body) to put it in SA.  pistols with external hammers can be cocked relatively easily with the strong hand thumb.  

i wouldn't prefer to have to make a life or death shot with a 12# trigger. i like the systems on the XD pistol and one-handed DA/SA pistols that give me the option of a light pull if i get the chance to cock the hammer manually.  

my P-01 only has a decocker which puts the pistol in a 'half-cock' position.  ther are no manual safeties and and the 'half-cock' DA is OK to shoot, but great to holster  
.  the SA action on this pistol is very nice.

my concerns with the QA aren't with the weight of the trigger being to heavy.  it's mostly the lightness of the trigger in relation to constant holstering and reset.  i actually like the weight and pull of the QA in an empty pistol.  

but i like SA more . . . . decisions, decisions.

frye

·
Registered
22 Posts
That's why I believe QA with a manual safety (that could easily be disengaged by one hand) would be ideal. At least this variation should be available as an option to people who'd prefer to have an external safety. Just a suggestion to Walter engineers/designers

·
Registered
75 Posts
The QA does have a decocker, I know its supposed to be used for takedown, but you could theoretically chamber a round, engage the decocker, and there is no way the gun will AD since pulling the trigger does nothing. A slight (few mm) slide ratchet back will recock the gun. I've practiced this technique (with an empty gun of course) as a just in case scenario from the nightstand and it seems to work quite well in both quick situations, and silent situations. (in case the break in is in the front of the house)

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
I think there comes a time that if you are going to carry a gun, you accept responsibility for its danger. I have carried for years. Never even came close to pulling the trigger during a holster. Just watch your thumbstrap. Or, buy a leather holster w/o a strap - then you have even less chance to do it.

I remember being a bit nervous w/ my Glock when I was 21 - nervous of having 1 in the chamber. But over time, I got over it.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
A couple years ago I originally order a 9mm SA, but a QA came instead. I was ready to send it back, then I tried the trigger. I shoot more accurately with it than ANY 9mm I have ever shot, and will never go back. My $.02.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (banddr2 @ Nov. 23 2005,18:56)] I shoot more accurately with it than ANY 9mm I have ever shot, and will never go back.  My $.02.
Same thing with me. I shoot the QA more accurately than the AS. 9mm and .40. I used to have a bunch of AS models, now I only have QA's.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all the replies.

i'm still undecided, but i have some time to work it out. the old lady would have an aneurysm if i came home with another new pistol, particularly right before the holidays.

the AS models becoming rarer and rarer doesn't help the decision making process either. the QA's will be around for a while, but the days of NIB AS's are probably numbered . . . . i almost feel like i should go ahead and try to get an AS now before it's too late, but the QA is a very attractive option i'd like to try.

i am pretty much over my hesitation about using a QA as a daily carry due to the responses from some of you all. 8lbs. certainly isn't a 'hair-trigger'. i'm just stubborn sometimes

frye

·
Registered
28 Posts
Maybe you can find a place near you an put an AS on layaway like I did. Gives you some options and time.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
You could get the AS now, then when you can afford it get a QA and put the AS away as a safe queen and target pistol, and the QA use as your working pistol. About 15 years ago I swore I would only need one handgun, and kept looking for the perfect one that fit all the bills and look where I am at today
PP, PPK/S, P99, P5, P1, and these are just the Walthers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts