Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I pretty much decided on a Walther P99 9mm QA in black for my first pistol. I have a few quick questions.

Im gonna make my own kydex holster for it ( i am an amateur knifemaker and do kydex sheaths), ill let you guys know how it turns out. Gonna be a few more weeks till i get my permit and can get the P99.

Where do they have the best price? i have seen it for $469 on docwalthers web site.

Also, i heard something bout S&W taking over the production? true or false, and when if true?

Night sights, necessary if you have a tac light? just wondering if i should invest in a pair or not if i have a taclight.

Color choice. OD green, black, is there a blue or was that a mistake? If there is a blue 9mm QA, please lemme know who has them!!

I held the P99 at a few stores and fell in love with it, feels much nicer than the glock. All the controls i could reach easily, i have a lit of trouble with sig and hk, and even some glock slide releases, but the walther feels like it was made for my hand and i love that mag release. Hk has one similiar, but not as good.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Good choice on 9mm QA. I paid $635 including shipping at Earl's back in 2000, now the price is much better.
Night sights are personal preference, and depends on your applications. I use the factory sights, I requested the European U-white outlined rear sight (just like Glock's) when I purchaed, like it better than the 3-dot setup and feel that a little "lower" profile than the 3-dot. Extra magazines are always good, perhaps you want to include one high-cap mag.
Please post your kydex design when it's ready.

·
Registered
356 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (newbie 9mm @ Aug. 07 2002,7:55)]Ok.  I pretty much decided on a Walther P99 9mm QA in black for my first pistol.  I have a few quick questions.

Im gonna make my own kydex holster for it ( i am an amateur knifemaker and do kydex sheaths),  ill let you guys know how it turns out.  Gonna be a few more weeks till i get my permit and can get the P99.

Where do they have the best price?  i have seen it for $469 on docwalthers web site.

Also, i heard something bout S&W taking over the production?  true or false, and when if true?

Night sights, necessary if you have a tac light?  just wondering if i should invest in a pair or not if i have a taclight.

Color choice.  OD green, black, is there a blue or was that a mistake?  If there is a blue 9mm QA, please lemme know who has them!!  

I held the P99 at a few stores and fell in love with it, feels much nicer than the glock.  All the controls i could reach easily, i have a lit of trouble with sig and hk, and even some glock slide releases, but the walther feels like it was made for my hand and i love that mag release.  Hk has one similiar, but not as good.
I suggest that you consider a standard P99, not a P99 QA. The SA trigger on the standard P99 is probably the best I've used, and you wouldn't get that with the P99 QA.

David Avery (aka, DocsWalthers) seems to have the best price, at $469 a pop. My co-worker's cousin just bought one from there.

Smith & Wesson has never made 9mm P99s. Hopefully they won't start. Email replies from Carl Walther in Germany seems to indicate that they won't start.

Get night sights. Meprolight seem to be the best for the P99. You can get them for $65 a set from http://www.arizonagunrunners.com/

Any reference to a blued finish means black. Standard P99s are available in three finishes: all-black, Military (black slide and olive-drab frame), and Titanium Coated (with the cheesy "TITANIUM COATED" letters prominently placed on the left side of the slide -- sorry, not for me). I suggest the all-black or Military configurations.

Carl Walther has a nice P99 brochure in PDF at: http://www.carl-walther.de/Ersatzteil/P99E.pdf

I agree that the magazine release of the P99, although positioned similar to that of the HK USP, feels better than that of the HK USP.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies!  

I am going with the QA because I like the glock double action trigger, and I can get used to the same consistent trigger pull, and not have to worry bout the Da pull then the SA, or putting it into the SA mode.  QA is closest to glocks, which is what I learned on and usually shoot.

I will prob pick up some night sites after I get my pistol and see how much $$ i have left over after some other goodies.

Ok, so blue is black. Thats what i thought, but I just wanted to check. No Ti coating for me
and no OD green either. I might even powder coat the slide and do something different with that as well. Friend did it with a glock and it came out really nice.

·
Registered
356 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (newbie 9mm @ Aug. 08 2002,7:01)]I am going with the QA because I like the glock double action trigger, and I can get used to the same consistent trigger pull, and not have to worry bout the Da pull then the SA, or putting it into the SA mode.  QA is closest to glocks, which is what I learned on and usually shoot.
I know that it's tempting to want to get the P99 QA, but I honestly believe that you should get the standard P99. I considered the P99 QA, but ended up going with the standard P99. Four times! I am glad that I did, and have no intention of getting a P99 QA. The standard P99 has also been more successful. If the standard P99 is in DA mode, all it takes is a simple 1cm or so backward movement of the slide to recock the strike, putting it back into SA mode. But, it's your choice, and you probably cannot go wrong with any P99.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lunde, thanks for the advice. im gonna to try to rent the qa and reg model at S&W when i get my permit. I just dont want to have to worry bout the da/sa stuff. and for IDPA, u would have to have it decocked to start IIRC, and then the sa would kick in after the first round. i just want to keep it relatively simple for the first one, then go with the traditional one later, maybe in .40

For my first one, i want it to be simple. then its off to buy a glock 17, maybe HK USP Compact 9mm, then a 1911 to customize
I would get a glock first, but i just fell in love with the p99.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Newbie:

I too am new to the walther hand gun.  Just got my P99 in black .40cal. with Mepro's
I not plugging, But I got mine thru Val at Gulfstream sports.  He had the Mepro's put on for me and gave me a really FAIR price

That is my recommendation, but check out his prices at Gunsamerica.com
---under walther pistols.

My $.02
Chris~

gunsamereica

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have the P99 std. and a P99QA, I prefer the std. trigger myself, but my wife (who was a Glock 19 fan) prefers the QA due to its simplicity and consistent trigger pull.
My advice is to buy one of each.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts