Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
These are not only P5's, but since this section doesn't get many posts I am showing all my current Walther collection here.

Here are my P5's. The P5C is my most expensive of my collection. The P5 was an SOG gun than had the usual sucky finish, so I finally found a DIY finish I can do at home. It is a type of rust blueing you do on the stove in boiling water, I did only the slide:

Next up are my post war PP's (kind of). This is a poor man's collection. The PP Super is all original. The PP is a '67 that also had a crappy slide, so I gave it the same treatment as my P5 above. The PPK is actually a made up gun. The frame is a reblue from a 1941 gun, the slide is a non serial numbered postwar slide with original Walther finish and the grips are Interarms. I told you this was a poor man's collection, but I did the PPK for a total of $550 and it shoots great:

And finally, this is my pre war and war time collection. The P38 is an ac44 with all matching with correct mag. The Sauer 38H of course is not a Walther, but it is war time. I need a decocking lever spring for it if anyone can help me out. And the Model 5 I just picked up for $300 and it is in pretty good shape:

I hope you enjoy the pics (and I hope they turned out ok). I call this a poor man's collection because I have spent between 260 to 550 for each of these except the P5C, and even though some do not have original finishes anymore, they still look and shoot good.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
very nice collection.......:D

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
The PP Super looks great, and that P5C is a gem -- sure would love to get my hands on one of those sometime. The blued finish you applied to the P5 and the '67 PP looks pretty good in the photos. If you don't mind, tell us more about the product and the process. Thanks -- and thanks, too, for sharing the photos.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Great collection. You should be glad that you have that P5C, they aren't going cheaply these days.

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
Really Nice collection.....finishings look terrific! Thank for sharing. P5C...OMG!

Regards to all ~ photo

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The PP Super looks great, and that P5C is a gem -- sure would love to get my hands on one of those sometime. The blued finish you applied to the P5 and the '67 PP looks pretty good in the photos. If you don't mind, tell us more about the product and the process. Thanks -- and thanks, too, for sharing the photos.
Thanks, Mark Lee Express Blue #1 is what I used. I got it from Brownells, it is a rust blueing. The only catch to it is you cannot work the metal up to a high polish as the blueing will not take. You basically strip and prepare the metal, heat it in a toaster oven to 300, then apply the blue, it will rust. Then you boil it in water for 6 minutes. When you remove it it will be all rusty, you buff the rust off with fine steel wool. You do that process at least 7 times, then you neutralize it is baking soda and apply oil. When you put the oil on it turns deep black and stays that way, up til that point I thought I was wasting my time, but the finish is really good and durable. I tried all kinds of methods with cold blueing and none lasted, this looks very promising and hot cuastic blueing is just not an option for a small timer like me. It is time consuming, took about 2 hrs, but worth it for that gun that has little collector value and looks like hell. You just have to do it when your WIFE IS NOT IN THE KITCHEN. I will try to post some close ups of the p5 and pp tomorrow so you can get a better look at it.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great collection. You should be glad that you have that P5C, they aren't going cheaply these days.
I know, when I bought it last November I thought I over paid, but now they seem to be non existent. I am shocked at what P88's are going for on GB recently and even pp supers seem overpriced. A few months ago I was the only bidder on a wartime reblued ppk that I thought was resonable, but yesterday someone bid one up to over 500, for a reblue with incorrect magazine!!! And I just watched a pre war ppk with cracked grips and original finish hit 1000. It is a seller's market right now.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Thanks, Mark Lee Express Blue #1 is what I used. I got it from Brownells, it is a rust blueing. The only catch to it is you cannot work the metal up to a high polish as the blueing will not take. You basically strip and prepare the metal, heat it in a toaster oven to 300, then apply the blue, it will rust. Then you boil it in water for 6 minutes. When you remove it it will be all rusty, you buff the rust off with fine steel wool. You do that process at least 7 times, then you neutralize it is baking soda and apply oil. When you put the oil on it turns deep black and stays that way, up til that point I thought I was wasting my time, but the finish is really good and durable. I tried all kinds of methods with cold blueing and none lasted, this looks very promising and hot cuastic blueing is just not an option for a small timer like me. It is time consuming, took about 2 hrs, but worth it for that gun that has little collector value and looks like hell. You just have to do it when your WIFE IS NOT IN THE KITCHEN. I will try to post some close ups of the p5 and pp tomorrow so you can get a better look at it.
Interesting process. And who knew? I think I'd be sweating bullets while the piece was in the toaster, rusting up a storm, and all the while waiting for the wife to walk in and wonder aloud just what in the wide, wide world of sports was goin' on here? But the end result looks decent, to be sure. I'm still looking at hard chrome options on my P5 (thanks to Ship Wreck), but this is a certainly better solution than all of those cold blue killer-crap-in-a-bottle options that don't work and likely never will. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here are some pics of just the slides. The PP and P5 had the Mark Lee rust blueing done to them, the PP Super and PPK slides are original Walther blueing. Like I said earlier, with the rust blueing you sacrifice a high polish blue, it just will not take to high polished steel (believe me I tried). The best you can get is a satin finish, if you want polished blue, just send it to a gunsmith for hot blueing and pay $100 or more.

From top to bottom, PP Super, P5, PP, PPK:

Here is another angle from left to right: PP, P5, PP Super and PPK

1 - 12 of 12 Posts