Walther Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Read this, clearly this seller knows what he is talking about comparing the high power with the P88 compact…….take that bhp9………..lol……(is this a subtly shot!)….
quote-----------clearly this seller knows what he is talking about----------quote

No this is sensationalistic and slick advertisement to try and sell this particular firearm on Gunbroker. Critical thinking is the better choice before making a buying choice.

Quote-------------The pistol itself was considered an improvement of the Browning Hi-power, as a trustworthy service pistol; ------------quote

Falsehood: And to prove my statement, once again this is a quote from the U.S. Government test trials.

P88 Standard[edit]
The Walther P88 was entered for the third and final JSSAP XM9 pistol trials conducted in 1983 to 1984 with interruptions. During the trials, the Walther P88 ended up being eliminated from consideration for not meeting a handful of the 72 “must” conditions. Firstly, it lacked the specified manual safety function. Also, the P88 failed the dropping tests, with the rear target sights popping off and the pistols frames cracking from 7000 rounds of sustained fire.[5][1] The P88 also failed both the wet and dry mud tests

I might add that 2 Walther P88 pistols were tested by the U.S. Government and both failed the tests.

I might add that I never stated that I disliked the P88 but I do not close my eyes to its vast shortcomings as a combat handgun to be used under severe conditions. Its great for an investment or to be used as a range toy but way to big to carry and not reliable enough for severe combat use. It's best used on a nicely manicured firing range free of dust, mud, and other contaminants.

quote------------AND THE OVERALL FEELING IS NOT EVEN COMPARABLE TO THE MODERN EXAMPLE... -----------quote

More advertisement hype.

I might add that I have very long fingers and the circumference of the P88's grip is larger than a lot of high cap handguns making it more difficult to shoot the gun in double action. I might add the P88 is not the natural pointer that the High Power is either because with the P88's aluminum frame it makes the gun more top heavy than the steel frame of the High Power which makes the High Power sit more naturally in the hand with a lower center of gravity. In other words the High Power points like a finger, not so with the P88.

quote--------------a tad more accurate – better trigger feels and safety – ----------quote

Complete falsehood on several counts.

Number one the P88 has no manual safety, another strike against it because you cannot carry it locked and cocked forcing you to shoot it double action on the first shot or fumble the gun when trying to thumb cock it on the draw.

Again I currently have 6 High Powers and none of them are less accurate than my P88, I repeat none.

The Trigger on my P88 is gritty and inferior compared to my High Powers (once the mag safety is removed) because have a superior single action pull. I found much the same problem with my Walther P5 i.e. a gritty trigger pull in single action. In other words not crisp and it does not break like glass in either my P88 or P5. High Powers made before 1974 had some very good trigger pulls but when they switched over to the passive firing pin safety and cast internal parts it did affect the trigger pull for the worse. This same problem is found in the P88 and P5. The addition of more parts with the passive firing pin safety arraignment results in more grinding because of all the extra parts. Its just part of the design which is more friction because of more parts grinding against each other when pulling the trigger.

I find that this particular Gun Brokers add on this pistol to be slick sensational hype and disingenuous but that does not change the truth about the pistol and its shortcomings.

I might add the High Power has its faults too but that is a story for another day. No pistol design is perfect, they all have their faults. You make your buying choices and then you have to live with them.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
I retracted my long elaboration……..I apologize if some of you already read it….sometimes you got to walk away for a while and hope time ……………………………………………………………..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just for clarification, the sale is for a Walther p88 Compact, not a Walther p88. A lot of your criticism falls flat as these are two different guns.

The sensational advertising is funny though.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Just for clarification, the sale is for a Walther p88 Compact, not a Walther p88. A lot of your criticism falls flat as these are two different guns.

Indeed funny, hilarious actually……but are YOU the leading bidder?

·
Registered
137 Posts

My criticism does not fall flat at all. The Compact has only a very slightly shorter slide and barrel and the addition of a safety which drops the hammer but does not permit you to carry cocked and locked which is the same criticism I leveled at the full size P88.

The grip height of the P88C is only slightly less high making it no more concealable than the P88 so the name compact P88C is really a misnomer. Even the slide was not quite even 1/2 inch shorter. It failed to be small enough to carry concealed.

The P88 as well as the P88c were both big failures in the German Police trials and with the consumer as well as only 7,000 P88C units were ever made. It was way overpriced even compared to other German manufactures models.

After the Bundeswehr had initially rejected the Walther P88, the "Compact" was subsequently submitted during the follow-up pistol trials which lasted until 1993. Compact variant lost to Heckler & Koch's P8, which was a slightly modified USP with regard to barrel bearings, manual safety and magazine design.[9] Pricing also played a heavy part in P88 Compact not being chosen. The list price of a USP was around 1000 DM at the end of 1992; that of a Walther P88 “Compact” at just under DM 1800.

As one can see the P88 series of guns failed in every category which was reliability under severe conditions, price point, concealability, drop tests, frame cracking, the U.S Military trials and the German police trials. In other words the majority of gun buyers and governmental agencies did not want them and that is why they are no longer produced.

I might add they even failed as investment as some of the Browning High Powers like the T series are now bringing up to $3,000 while the P88 can be bought between $1250 to $1750 which is about half of what the T series High Power brings showing you what the consumer "really thinks" about the P88 compared to the all steel T series High Power.

I am not saying the P88 is junk because it is not junk and far from it but was and is an overpriced weapon that did not really fill any niche in the gun market and has not ever lived up to its hype. If the public had wanted it it would still be made today.

I might say its accuracy hype is a myth as well. My German Luger and original Sig Neuhausen P210 , Mauser Broom Handle, outshoot my P88 and all my High Powers (6 of them) equal it in accuracy. I could mention some of my other 9mm guns as well but I am sure you get my point on the myth of the P88's accuracy.

In conclusion I do like mine very much but I see it for what it really is which is neither fish nor foul, and with no outstanding superior qualities compared to a lot of other 9mm pistols, just another curious and expensive German gun design that just never made it in the market place.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
BHP9, its clear you are a Kia lover as that is your level, let people who like more expensive stuff enjoy what they have despite the well know flaws you continue to list over and over again and troll somewhere else. Your negativity is sickening, you NEVER mention anything positive. EVERYBODY who collects the P88 series is well aware of everything and I am getting sick off your insinuations of deceit, ignorance, incompetence and flat out calling us idiots….why do not you troll in the Kia section (browning or whatever you seem to like)……..you are not the expert nor will you get any respect due to your continued attacking people who are in my opinion recognized true expert on this forum……..troll on, cant imagine what goes on at home. I was patient in the begin with you but you are impossible……..and I know you will respond because you always must have the last word…..farewell!

I probably risk getting banned with this post and if so they will delete it but my god….

·
Premium Member
3,277 Posts
A lot of the problems suffered by the P88 and P88C can be attributed to their short production run. If sales had been more successful I'm confident that over time Walther engineers would have been able to refine and improve them to equal the performance of the 92FS and P226.

I also have a theory that Walther was divided internally over whether to continue with their traditional metal framed, hammer fired duty pistols or persue a polymer, striker fired design to compete with Glock. Obviously they chose the P99. I can't say that Walther was wrong because it's still with us today and spawned the highly successful PPQ and PDP.

But if Beretta, Sig, CZ, and others were able to continue production of their legacy metal pistols, then why not Walther? If Walther had been able to get the cost down I don't see why we couldn't still see the P88C and P5 in production today. The longevity of their peers proves that a market still exists for them.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.