Walther Forums banner

41 - 60 of 460 Posts

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
There are hundreds of firearms being made that will function pretty well, regardless of how and where they are made. Most buyers of handguns fire a box of ammo and put their pistol on a shelf for 99% of it's life. Those that become dedicated shooters, soon find themselves selling the Taurus and Rock Island handguns for better quality models for a more pleasurable shooting expierence.

Quality manufacture is the key. I wouldn't be thrilled to see lots of cheap PPK style pistols being made - the S&W was more than enough. While a knockoff PPK would please the 007 fanboys, I wouldn't be shouting for joy or buying one either.

I would like a nice mid 60's .22 PPK but short of someone dumping a truckload of them on the market, I don't think I'll ever get one. I seriously doubt that Umarex/Walther could ever make one to my satisfaction.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
How far back does this go? I bought a new Springfield M1911A1 in about '95. It flew apart on the third shot. I picked up the parts, inspected, put it back together, hand cycled it....every thing seemed ok. Loaded one round and it flew apart again. I have never figured out how that could happen. Took it back to where I purchased it. Sales guy asked what's wrong. I said it flys apart if you fire it. He pulled back the slide and let go of it, and.....it kept going too, along with the barrel, take down pin... recoil spring, etc. Just like that I said. M1911
The Missing Link, revisited.

M

·
Registered
4 Posts
To those that care I held one of the new ppks in my hand. It had the SW beaver tail on it and what i thought was interesting is that it no longer had a dove tailed rear sight. instead it was milled into slide. They claimed that internally it used less MIM than the SW made gun. I guess we will have to see how they shoot. I wasnt crazy about the rear sight arrangement.

I was a long day and I did not think to snap a pic.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
@call_me_ski, Where/When did you get an opportunity to hold one? I wasn't aware that any had been made available to the public.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Cabela's just added the PPK/s back to their website. It has a list price of 699 and comes in blue or stainless. They only have a picture of the stainless and the picture only shows one side of it. They haven't had a PPK listed in months. Don't know if they found some old SW's in the warehouse and are getting rid of them or if they've done the same thing they did with the PPQ .45 and put it on their page before it was released. I've checked several stores and none of them are in stock.

Walther® PPK/S Centerfire Pistols : Cabela's

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you zoom in on the Cabelas pic, to get a close look at the rear sight, it does not appear to have a dovetail grove, but more like it is machined in the slide body. I don't think it's a Smithy.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Nice find, imod!
That price has got to be just a tentative sale price which they are purposely aiming high with, because even the S&Ws only cost $649 tops.

Upon searching other websites I've found some listings on Tombstone Tactical for $586.

Hopefully Walther Arms will have some more info at SHOT Show, particularly a solid release date and an MSRP.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Cabala's consistently sold the SW PPK/S for 699 unless they were having a sale. I never bought one from them because I felt I could get it cheaper. I ended up paying 499(if I remember correctly) for a slightly used SW PPK/s, it was well past the recall range of serial numbers so I jumped on it. I'm very glad I did because it seems like just a few days after that all the prices on them started going WAY up. I was going to try and find a German made PP in decent condition, but in the past few months they have gone beyond being affordable for me and I've just decided to wait it out and see if the prices come down again.

I would expect the new Fort Smith PPK's to retail for the same price as the SW ones. I just don't think it is in the cards for them to lower the retail price given the popularity of the gun, even their .22 PPK's have a premium price, 399 for the 'blued' and 429 for the 'stainless'.

You'll find deals, of course... Check the auction sites once they are on the market. After the excitement of them settles down a bit, the price should too. I'm hoping the same will happen to the older more preferred models as well(I really want a decent PP, they used to be very affordable compared to the PPK's) once the new one's hit the shelves. I actually prefer the ugly SW beavertail, its just a matter of comfort for me, which is why I chose it. I can't stand the looks of it, however, when I compare it to the original design. I've shot both german made PPK and SW PPK before purchasing, so I wasn't making a guess when I chose SW. For my purposes I chose comfort over looks, it's my EDC(and I have not had one issue with it after 1500+ rounds). But having shot both, I will say, a real German PPK... You can tell the difference... From the sound and smoothness of racking the slide to the way the trigger breaks. Take the advice of some of the folks here on the forum... Get yourself a real German one, or at least Interterms made, if you can find one that's affordable.

Just so you know... Even though I'd much prefer to own and carry a German made PPK the only reason I like that ugly SW beavertail is because it guides my hand into place when I practice my quick draws. I tore the web between my thumb and index finger to shreds using one with the original design. LOL.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Both Lipsey's and RSR show SKU's for the new PPK and PPK/S. The dealer price is ~$540 across the board. All .380's.

WA4796001 PPK STS
WA4796002 PPK BLK
WA4796004 PPK/S STS
WA4796006 PPK/S BLK

Interestingly, I find that when I search for just the SKU on the internets, I get the following description from many different vendors:

WALTHER PPK, 380ACP, 3.6" BARREL, POLYMER FRAME, BLACK FINISH, FIXED SIGHTS, 6RD, 2 MAGAZINES 4796002 [RS-WA4796002]

I'm sure it's just a copy/paste description from their PPS or similar product description. At least I hope so. SHOT starts soon, I'll have someone check the Walther booth as I'm not going this year.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
A buddy of mine is going to be there, I asked him to check them out.

He's not a "Walther guy" in the least, so it may not happen, but I'm hoping for at least some info...

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
@sgtlmj, Nice info! I really hope the pricing is accurate, as I'd happily buy one right away at that price, but seeing as it also lists the guns as having polymer frames, it's probably inaccurate.
With so many listings popping up for the new PPKs, I'm beginning to wonder if the rumors of a February release were true and the rep I spoke to was either misinformed or otherwise just trying to throw me off so that they could leave the release date for a surprise announcement at SHOT Show.

·
Premium Member
1,607 Posts
I'm sure it's just a copy/paste description from their PPS or similar product description. At least I hope so.
This wrong product description probably comes from Walther Arms directly.

It reminds me of the infamous presentation of the PPK/S .22 by Mark Thomas at the SHOT Show in 2013. He held a Smith & Wesson made .380 PPK/S in his hands and said: "It's the PPK/S made famous by James Bond. It's the first time it's been offered in .22 Long Rifle. It goes all the way through, nickel-plating and stainless."

I can only just accept that Thomas didn't know that James Bond never had a PPK/S in his hands but I wondered about the two other errors.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Sadly, I think this is no longer the case. ...
BlitzPig, a great gun can still be had for 475-500, you just have to look and find the right seller, most of the ones on gunbroker and such have been listed for months if not years, its sells asking way to much who are just waiting for someone with more money than mind. I bought a nice one 6 months ago for 450 off a facebook gun group, Arkansas has like 10 facebook gun sales groups. small shops if they get one realize they have the only one for miles around so the price will be high, but deals can still be had. there is one on gunbroker right now at $436.00 with 24 minutes left. I snagged one there about a year ago for $476.00 with box, target everything (interarms stainless).

·
Registered
130 Posts
On second thought, tonight looks like a night to stay away from Gunbroker...:eek: He's right, though, you just have to stay in the hunt. If I bought every Walther I wanted, I'd have a hundred and be broke. The right ones are out there, they just take a while to come home.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just called Walther and was told production will be starting very soon on PPK & PPKS, public announcement within a couple of days. At this point it looks like only in .380.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This wrong product description probably comes from Walther Arms directly.

It reminds me of the infamous presentation of the PPK/S .22 by Mark Thomas at the SHOT Show in 2013. He held a Smith & Wesson made .380 PPK/S in his hands and said: "It's the PPK/S made famous by James Bond. It's the first time it's been offered in .22 Long Rifle. It goes all the way through, nickel-plating and stainless."

I can only just accept that Thomas didn't know that James Bond never had a PPK/S in his hands but I wondered about the two other errors.
I'm sure of it. Last company I worked for had some copy/paste errors in product packaging. You'd find a Mossberg part with Remington all over the instructions due to copious amounts of copy/paste and absent proofreading.

If the new PPK's are cheesy, I'm just going to snag an old Manurhin and be done with it.

41 - 60 of 460 Posts