Walther Forums banner

441 - 460 of 460 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,923 Posts
I didn't say they weren't in existence. I speculated that Fort Smith are having some serious quality control issues with them. And I'm saying that because the two rumors are simply not very credible despite the sources.

·
Registered
278 Posts
If it is not UE speculation on quality control, in my opinion it very might well be the cost to produce exceeds the market demand, a heavy all metal 32 or 380 is only going to appeal to a very small percentage of the gun market, Umarex might be weighing this heavily especially coming off with a money losing discontinued 22 LR , if they decide that this will be another money loser in the long run, it may be better to hold off on production, and eventually releasing any units made as special last limited edition(1-1000) at a premium price and then discontinue the PPK, PPK/S line.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I didn't say they weren't in existence. I speculated that Fort Smith are having some serious quality control issues with them. And I'm saying that because the two rumors are simply not very credible despite the sources.
I live in Fort Smith, Arkansas and both of the people that I have talked to are very credible. Are they trying to "hide" manufacturing issues? Possibly...It wouldn't be the first time a company tried to cover up a problem. I would hope this is not the case and I do not believe it is.

Umarex is very excited and proud to be making the PPK's in house and they would like to get it right the first time. They know that the PP series has a very serious following. Collectors are a large part of their market and they are 100% aware of this. Earlier this year they installed a new indoor shooting range for testing (because of new requirements by BATFE, each firearm has to be shot 9 times). I need to go out and take a tour as I have been invited, I just haven't been able to fit it into my schedule.

Time will tell and hopefully we will see the new pistols sooner than later.

·
Super Moderator
9,923 Posts
I live in Fort Smith, Arkansas and both of the people that I have talked to are very credible.
And yet they're offering two conflicting reasons why the weapon isn't shipping.

I hope you're right, but just sayin' . . . .

·
Registered
350 Posts
Did these very credible sources tell you that too?

M

Yes, we were discussing what is going on at the factory and he was excited about the new indoor shooting bay. I don't keep up with government regulations as much as the majority of this forum does, so it was news to me......

Listen, I have tried to give good solid info on this forum and had nothing but people questioning it. I will just leave this thread alone from now on......

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Not if you got one of the ones that didn't work, and especially after the recall.

The thing that I fail to understand about this situation is that we have perfectly acceptable PP, PPK, and PPK/S pistols available to us, sometimes at better than decent prices (so long as you are patient and take your time looking), all of which work. They are reliable, they are dependable, they are accurate, and they were made well -- first time, right out of the box. Waiting for the reinvention of the wheel isn't necessary in this case. The wheel was perfected long ago, and those who tried to emulate it have come up woefully short in the intervening years.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #450
Listen, I have tried to give good solid info on this forum and had nothing but people questioning it. I will just leave this thread alone from now on......
I for one have appreciated the information that you have provided, and while some of it is conflicting no one can fault you for passing on what you've heard.
If you don't want to post anything here for awhile then I understand, but I'd appreciate it if you would report any concrete information that comes your way, even if it is just via PM.

If you couldn't already tell, there is a fair number of posters in this thread who don't care at all about this production, yet are just too damn opinionated and lacking in proper manners to resist their urge to remind everyone of their negative opinion of the new PPKs periodically.
However, there are those of us who are interested and appreciate hearing any little tidbits of information that you receive on the matter.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I appreciate the info you've passed on. Thanks. In any company, sometimes people get their wires crossed about what is really happening. And, what is really happening can change over time, particularly when a government entity is involved. None of that is unusual, and it's certainly not your fault. All you can do is pass on what you're hearing.

·
Super Moderator
9,923 Posts
Sorry you took it that way, because all I was doing was pointing out that your two reliable factory sources are in fact contradicting each other, and that sends off in me some red flags about equally red herrings. In no way was I implying that your information was unwelcome. Indeed, what you posted merely reaffirms my suspicions that there's something dreadfully wrong with the product.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The thing that I fail to understand about this situation is that we have perfectly acceptable PP, PPK, and PPK/S pistols available to us, sometimes at better than decent prices (so long as you are patient and take your time looking), all of which work. They are reliable, they are dependable, they are accurate, and they were made well -- first time, right out of the box. Waiting for the reinvention of the wheel isn't necessary in this case. The wheel was perfected long ago, and those who tried to emulate it have come up woefully short in the intervening years.
For me, I was hoping that the new production will not veer too far from the original design, and it would come with a lifetime warranty. But I'm very happy with my Interams. I've no worries.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
... there is a fair number of posters in this thread who don't care at all about this production, yet are just too damn opinionated and lacking in proper manners to resist their urge to remind everyone of their negative opinion of the new PPKs periodically. ....
Easy now, boyo. Opinions along with occasional facts are what this forum is all about. And most everyone to date has been more than polite about their opinions. The only folks who stray from that end, in my view, are those who seem to think that the sun rises and sets on this new iteration from Umarex and cant understand why anyone would think differently. Sound familiar?

·
Super Moderator
9,923 Posts
The only folks who stray from that end, in my view, are those who seem to think that the sun rises and sets on this new iteration from Umarex and cant understand why anyone would think differently. Sound familiar?
All too familiar. It's bad enough being a fanboy. It's absolutely silly to be a fanboy for a gun that hasn't even hit the market.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #456
The only folks who stray from that end, in my view, are those who seem to think that the sun rises and sets on this new iteration from Umarex and cant understand why anyone would think differently. Sound familiar?
Not even remotely. I've been saying for awhile now that something is clearly wrong with the production when so many contradictory reasons have been sited for its suspension.
Furthermore, I have repeatedly suggested lately that other users would be better off at this point just buying a used PPK.

So yeah, not sure who you're thinking of there.

However, there have been plenty of posters in this thread who have done literally nothing but repeat negative opinions such as this thread being a waste of time and the production being doomed to mediocrity/failure, or did I miss some posts in which users such as Jimbo80, MGMike, or Kat1950 said otherwise?

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
OK, we're done. Take a good look at the rules of engagement ... the part where we don't disparage other members. A whole lot of that's been going on here, and for no good reason. If and when an update on the Umarex newcomer can be verified, or (and better yet) makes it to the marketplace, then somebody with an interest can start a new thread.

Beating and flapping about a pistol that doesn't exist for 46 pages and more than 450 posts is one thing. Beating up on other members is not tolerated. Not here, anyway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
PPK/S Availability

Cabela's has the PPK/S listed at $699 (black or stainless). Of course, they don't have any and has them listed as "status unavailable."

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #459
Yep, just about every major firearms/sporting goods retailer has had listings for the new production for well over a year. Unfortunately, that's all they are is listings, they lack a release date, accurate pricing, or even a preorder option.

·
Registered
3 Posts
At the risk of being called a heretic, I will advise all interested that the Bersa Thunder .380 is a near clone of the PPK/S and retails for about $350. I have been wanting a Walther for several years, but finally gave up on the licensing flap that's going on and bought a Bersa. It's a fine gun that has received good reviews. I like mine a lot.

441 - 460 of 460 Posts