Walther Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In my short time here I have seen a lot of gripes complaints and erroneous comments about the Walther PP, PPK, and PPK/S. I feel the need to address them and maybe help clear some things up.

Item #1: "My Walther doesn't work right".

The PP series is a VERY reliable semi-auto as long as the USER does the right things to make sure it is up to snuff. Much of the reliability problems stem from ammo choice. ALL semi-autos have preferences in ammo that must be taken into consideration. And that works in one pistol GENERALLY (but not always) works in others. First thing I do when I buy any semi is run a bunch of different ammo through it, and I emphasize a BUNCH, to see which works best. I look for reliability, accuracy, and how clean it shoots. Find the right ammo and you are all set. It may cost you a few greenbacks to find the right stuff, but your life may depend on it. How much is your life worth? ;)

Also, if you bought your PP series pistol used, be prepared to spend some more money on it. It may look like brand new, but you have NO idea what was tinkered with in the gun. Sure, you may get a pistol that was traded in because the guy needed some cash. But it's just as easy to get one that the previous owner messed with and is now screwed up. I would consider IMMEDIATELY replacing the recoil spring, magazine (not just the spring but the whole mag), and possibly the hammer spring. If you bought a WW2 Walther, these replacements become MANDATORY.
Recoil springs in short barrell pistols wear out VERY QUICKLY and are the cause of a lot of the malfunctions that occur.

Item #2 "Wahhhhhh...my gun bites my hand when I fire 25+ rounds through it"

This is a two point item. First point is the PP series guns are small and compact. You can try changing grips to possibly relieve the problem. Sometimes that works. But when you fire a .32 or .380 round through a pistol that small, recoil is gonna be brisk no matter what you do to it. Remember these pistols were designed 75 years ago. They are pretty much exactly the same as they were back then. And back then the word "ergonomic" probably wasn't even invented. So all these comparisons with the way guns shoot that were designed and produced within the last few years are pretty much meaningless. If you don't like the way your Walther shoots, let me or any other person on this forum know, and we'll gladly take it off your hands (at a major discount) :D

Second point is how you are using your PP series guns. The "PP" in their nomenclature does NOT stand for "PLINKER PISTOLS". They are POLICE PISTOLS. They were made to be "CARRIED DAILY AND SHOT RARELY". They were not made for weekly range trips to shoot 50+ rounds through them. If you want a gun for that purpose I suggest you buy a Ruger .22 or a Colt 1911A1. You can shoot them all day and never get sore.
Saying that your hand gets sore after you shoot 100 rounds through a Walther is like saying "my new Corvette is a POS because it keeps wearing out tires every time I floor it". Well DUHHH! :rolleyes:
Again...this is a gun that was designed 75 years ago. Can you get a pocket pistol that doesn't hurt your hands and you can shoot it all day. DEFINITELY! Will it be a Walther PP...not likely.

Okay...I'm done venting. I hope some folks read this and understand. I am going to address another item concerning ammo choice in a seperate thread.

Dep

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Deputy you hit many nails squarely on the head!

I agree 100% with everything you said. I would add that I re-learned firsthand your advice regarding carry alot shoot a little just a couple weeks back. Here's the story!

Cleaning out the ammo locker I found a box of aluminum Blazer in .380, I thought why not take the old PP out to the range and shoot this stuff up?

At the range, after a satisfying 50 rounds through both a P35 and a P99, I removed the PP from its padded suede gun rug and proceeded to run the blazer ammo through it. I was very happy to find that at 15 yards my accuracy with the little PP was on par with the work I had done with the P35 and P99 ( 90% in the black on a 25 yard pistol target) with the flyers being caused by flinches and twiches on my part.

After about 20 rounds I noticed I was having trouble holding on to the gun - but I kept on shooting. After shooting another 10 rounds I really had to concentrate on my hold and had stopped having fun.

Determined for some unknown reason to waste the rest of the ammo, I got to the last two rounds before my tortured hand loosened enough to allow the Walther to slide around and on rounds 49 and 50 I ended up with a slash at the base of my thumb.

The PP, good old gun it is, suffered this without complaint, and digested the aluminium ammo as if it had been gold plated. I however felt like a fool, I had not enjoyed shooting the last 30 rounds - my hand was sore and cut. I found that I wasted ammo that could have been shot over two more range trips - with alot more pleasure!

So shoot that Walther, but treat her gently ... follow Deputy's advice and you'll ENJOY owning the finest pocket automatics ever made!!!

See Deputy, you're not the only one with a need to vent! :)

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
153: Excellent story and it pretty much matches my experiences with guns of this type. I've had 2 PPK/S guns (both German-made) and now own a PPK (S&W), and while both PPK/S were 100% reliable, they did cause pain after a box of 50. I don't really have large hands and they still hurt to shoot. Think of it this way....when you are shooting your Walther and it starts to hurt, it's your pistol telling you "that's enough pal...we can do this again another day".

Shooting should NOT be a painful experience. ;)

Dep

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 3 of 3 Posts