Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My magazine would fall of my 380 Interarms PPK while firing.

I removed the slide and it was apparent the top and the base of the magazine had a lot of forward and rearward play when installed in the firearm.

I took clear packing tape made 4 narrow strips, 1/4" wide by 3/8" tall, and built them up as a stack. Then I took a longer piece, 1/4" wide by 1/2" tall and stacked it on top of the 4-layers, on the non-sticky side of the stack, with the 1/8" end overhanging the whole stack.

I removed the magazine and placed this tape stack inside the magazine guide (within the handle of the gun) about 3/32" down from the top on the rear most flat with the 1/8" overhang down and away from the barrel in the magazine guide. The overhang of the stack acts as a ramp guiding the magazine up onto the tape stack without peeling the tape stack off. This tape stack prevented the top of the magazine from moving away from the receiver allowing the magazine catch to slip off the magazine release during firing.

First I applied the description above to the magazine, but it became apparent that the extra thickness would hang in the magazine guide about half way during insertion. Therefore I figured the magazine guide was figure eight shaped inside, narrow at the middle and wider at the top and bottom. This wider portion allowed the magazine to rock forward and backward within the magazine guide.

Jerry rigged to be sure, but problem solved.

·
Premium Member
8,661 Posts
I take it this is a range piece and not a carry weapon...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Both mags work without modification.

This is now my carry piece, one-mag, preloaded and all ready to go.

I am not planning on getting into a fire fight or to let myself get into a situation where I would need more than one-mag.

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
jimec, this is a problem that has been discussed on the forum several times before. Unfortunately, "magazine dropsy" is an all-too common topic of discussion with Interarms PPK's. Mine had it before; solved with a detailed cleaning of the frame with particular attention paid to the magazine release/catch button. Freeing the magazine catch of grit and debris allows it to fully extend when released and therefore fully purchase the slot cut into the magazine.

MgMike has professed the fact that magazines are actually semi-consumable and will wear out over time. Feed lips get dinged and worn, and the D-shaped magazine catch slot punched through the magazine tube will eventually experience wear as well. When a PPK (especially a .380/9mm kurz version) is discharged, a rather significant amount of energy is delivered to the entire system. The magazine has room to move about inside the well, and it surely flops about when the pistol is fired. The catch's grip on the magazine is delicate at best; when subject to such a potent shock the possibility of it losing engagement with the slot unfortunately quite high if there's any wear on either mating surface.

Inspect the D-shaped punched-out slot on your magazines that're experiencing "dropsy". Look for any unusual scuffing or peening; even an overly shiny area could be cause for concern because in this area, only a few thousandths of an inch can make a big difference. In fact, the damage might not even be visible to the naked eye. I commend your innovation with the tape idea but the truth of the matter remains... there's something amiss with your firearm system and it should be properly rectified.

-Pilotsteve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts