Walther Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there all I am brand new to this forum and was wondering if anyone here has had dealings with SOG "Souther Ohio Gun" I am debating a purchase of one of their P5's and would like to know more about this company as far as reputation and if possible if any have insights on the P5 they are currently offering is is a good deal pro's verus con's of buying from them over Earl's Repair Service for much much more money?

Thanks-

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
There is no way to compare SOG to Earl......
The P5's from SOG are police trade P5's from Germany ... some with minor holster wear some with a lot.... go look around on gunbroker so see some examples of the SOG guns...
you will notice some of the sellers mention they are police trades some try to hide it... so be careful.....
I have not bought from SOG but ammo... so I can't tell you how much it is worth to pay for the premium of having one handpicked... but I never heard a bad thing about them .... a few people over at the P38 forum bought their P5-s from there
If you want a NIB newest production P5 you will have to go with Earls.... but unless it will be a safe queen IMHO it is not worth that $1000+ price tag ....
don't get me wrong I love Earl... he is a nice guy and great to deal with.. has always parts you need in stock and his knowledge is amazing..... but I just can't see myself paying that much more for a gun if I can get it for less....
(it might be different if I had more income though)

Now for a bargain IMHO see the one I had posted about on Gunbroker....
*edit here is the link to make it easier for you ....http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=63463803 *end edit
not a police trade and it looks to be in good condition for a mere $300 starting or $400 "buy now"

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I purchased a "hand picked" P5 from SOG a year ago, and I thought it was in pretty rough shape. I expected more from a hand picked as mine had what I considered severe holster wear, the finish was at 85% to 90% at best. There is no way one can know for sure how hand picked it is, I almost sent mine back, but then considered the cost of postage and decided to keep it. I can always get the slide finished or reblued. But I will say my P5 is an exceptional performer, the most accurate 9mm I have and 100% reliable. That alone was worth the price they are asking unless you find a very rare good deal like Uncut found on gunbroker (which is already gone in noticed). I found people in my state selling LNIB P5's for 850 to 1000. If I reblue mine I will have a LNIB for about 550 when its' all done.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Ok
I think I need to mention one more thing.......
take in consideration that most German police issued guns have more holsterwear than anything.... it is not like here in the US that those get shot much.....
I have seen many P7M8's that look like brand spanking new... and I assume the same for the P5's......
they might have holsterwear but have not been shot much.....
So overall you might get the best bang for the buck with a SOG P5 if you are looking for a shooter

·
Registered
8 Posts
Don't know about SOG but do about Earl. New guns. Strong prices. But you get what you pay for with Earl. Personally, I only buy new guns, that way I break them in and I know I can rely on them when I need them. Just my opinion. YMMV. And no, I'm not related to Earl :)

·
Registered
435 Posts
What has happened to SOG? I'm locked out of their site. Seems like you need an FFL to view their products now. Is this new?

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
C&R or FFL....
damn that is a shame....
there is a link on the page though for nonFFL items...:mad:

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
SOG, I am not sure that was a wise business decision on their part.:confused: Someone else will fill the void. I wonder if something has changed with the BATF, I don't know what it would be. There is no way they will have the costomer base they had by just advertising to ffl's. Hopefully CDNN will not follow suit.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I hope someone does fill that void in the market. If you find out who it is, let me know. I'm afraid that no one will take over and the days of a less than $500 used P5 are over.

It figures I've been real close to getting one too!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Redneck_Riot:

I don't know the story about what's going on at SOG, but I can answer your question about "SOG P5, worth the money".

Pictured is my surplus German Gov't SOG purchased Walther P5.

I think I paid about $429 + shipping sometime early last year.
The SOG P5's were advertised as "Excellent", and I think they were a bit optomistic in that observation. I think because of holster wear on the slide a "good to very good" might be more accurate, but hey, it's THEIR rating, not mine.

I did pay $15 extra for "hand pick", but when I emailed them pictures of my slide worn P5 they immediately offered to replace it, or return my money. As my P5 shoot poa/poi and functioned perfectly I couldn't see returning this pistol for another P5 which might have less slide wear but might not be as good a shooter.. So, SOG refunded my $15, and I have no complaints about their Customer Service, or the way they handled my complaint. I still think their rating system is skewed in their favor, but hey, lifes not perfect.

As I said My P5 is a pleasure to shoot, and if I get tired of looking at the slide wear I'll send the sucker off and get it refinished. But right now I just consider the wear as "character" wear and let it slide.

All in all I'm very pleased with my SOG P5.

Hope this helps.

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

P.S.
You see them on the online gun auctions all the time for around the same price. So even if SOG's gone, they are available. Just be sure and get a 3 day return guarantee if you buy one, and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sog p5

I purchased a hand pick p5 about 3 months ago. I would say the gun was 97 %. Could find no holster ware and just a few minor light scratches on the right side of the slide - you have to look for them to see them. My brother in law purchased a new p5 several years ago that he has never fired and side by side it is hard to tell them apart.
I did ask the women I talked to from Sog to go and see if they han an excellent one on hand and she did while I was waiting. She found an excellent one and the $15 was well worth it. People at Sog were very nice and did exactly what they said they would. Very pleased!

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
What has happened to SOG? I'm locked out of their site. Seems like you need an FFL to view their products now. Is this new?
They recently did lock their prices to non-ffl holders. I told my dealer about it. He gave me a user name and pass word so that I can check prices. If I want anything, he handles it as a transfer (20 fee). I think SOG made a lousy decision by what it recently decided to do.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts