Walther Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new P99 AS 9mm, and shot it for the first time today. I put 200 rounds through it and love the way it handles.

However... While cleaning it after shooting, I noticed that there is already wear on the lower corner of the front of the ejection port where the front of the barrel hood locks up. The corner has been worn off, so there is a slight angle instead of a corner. Is it normal for there to be noticeable wear like this after just 200 rounds? Should I expect a small amount of initial wear that will stop, or will it continue at the same rate? If it does continue, I don't imagine there will be much lock-up after 5,000 rounds! I don't have a digital camera or I'd post photos. I'd appreciate if some of you could post photos of this area of your slides so I can see if my wear is normal.

I love the gun and hope this wear stops!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I'm having a hard time envisioning this wear. I went and looked at one of my P99's and can't even see where the slide and barrel even touch where you describe. (I may not be understanding where you are describing.)

If you can get access to a camera, or maybe a scanner, it would probably help immensly.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'm with P88...not quite sure where the contact is you're describing. I did post three pictures of my slide on my Walther web page, here: http://users.adelphia.net/~navy87guy/waltherp99.html Maybe you can spot the wear spot or describe it to us from the pictures.

Hope this helps,
Jim

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Navy???guy (Sorry, forgot what the numbers are in your name). In your first photo, to the right, you can see where the top of the barrel hood contacts the inside of the slide the black is wearing. It is particularly worn at the front edge of the ejection port. This is where mine is wearing. Is yours just finish wear, or is there kind of a bevel instead of a 90 degree angle?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I took some photos on my like new P99 in case they can help. There is some wear underneath the slide, where lockup with barrel hood occurs. It is more like wear on paint/tennifer and not really metal wear. There is also minimal wear on top of the barrel hood/chamber area itself as seen in 2nd pic, but once again it's tennifer wear, not really metal. The gun has only seen maybe 200rd so maybe it'll show more wear later on. I really dont' think it's right to have big slope wear pattern on this critical area.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Okay, I'll post here now. I think I know what you're referring to NEW P99, it is the area that has some drag marks. As you can see in my 1st photo, there is a high spot right forward of the contact edge, but that's about it. The lock up edge is 90deg and not beveled at all. The high spot appears to be finish wear on tennifer coating. In 2nd photo, there's a corresponding high point right after the lockup area, that's also finish wear on tennifer. I'm guess all well used P99 will exhibit some degree of wear on both places, but since a tight lockup is important to the function and safety of this pistol, I really dont' see how it would wear down to a bevel. Are you sure it's not just wear on the finish? if the wear is on slide, does it also wear on top of barrel hood?

By the way Navy87, your photo also shows a highspot right on the inside of slide, just forward of ejector openning, but not right on the edge, and in the same rectangular shape as mine. I wonder why it makes a point like that, if it is wear, it should extend from the edge to that area, not just on that high spot. Maybe it's something slightly raised by design.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'll have to take another look at mine when I get home tonight...to be honest, I didn't even notice it when I looked. Maybe it was highlighted by the flash from the camera. I'll see if it's just coating or if the edge is beveled.

Jim

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I called S&W, they were concerned enough that they are sending me prepaid Fed Ex supplies. Definitely can't complain about customer service. They don't even know if there is anything wrong and they are paying for shipping. It makes me feel better about the $$ I spend on a S&W Model 41 earlier this year, and is making me consider the 9VE. At the price, and with S&W customer service, it doesn't seem like you could go wrong!

·
Registered
310 Posts
That's great to hear! I took another look at mine and I can't detect any kind of bevel -- just that "shiny spot" on the finish. I put another 100 rounds through it last night - no noticeable change.

Hopefully they'll get it back to you quickly!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I'm a little concerned. I don't think mine has the MIM locking block, and I'm still irrationally opposed to MIM parts. If they just replace the slide, I assume it won't have a matching serial number, and if they replace the whole gun it will likely have the MIM locking block. Also, I wonder if they would be able to replace it with another SA. Oh well, I guess these questions will all be answered soon.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well, this is interesting, please keep ups updated because this is definitely something i would like to keep an eye on as well. I don't think mine wears like this, but it could be a mfg. failure with yours. it really should not wear like this, not even MIM, which typically breaks apart rather than wearing down.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll keep you posted. It's not the MIM part that's wearing, it is the slide itself. I was referring to the MIM locking block that is in the frame. I thought I was lucky to find one without the MIM...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On Dr. Lunde's Q&A, one of the questions is "Why does my locking block have a notch in it?" His answer is that because they are now using MIM there is a manufacturing step that requires the notch. He explains what the reason is, but I forgot!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After looking at the photos on Dr. Lunde's Q&A, my locking block looks more like the MIM except it does not have a notch. It does not have what looks like machine marks on the top, and is black in most places.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's in S&W's hands now. I'll let you know what they say. I'm surprised I'm not more anxious about the outcome. I guess I have faith they'll do me right.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts