Walther Forums banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
P99QA Gen 1 (sold), PDP compact 4", PPS, Q5 Match, P22, and a few from lesser brands as well.
94 Posts
Defensive uses:
Hornady Critical Duty 135gr in my EC PDP (Though likely will switch to HST 124gr as I cycle them regularly since the Hornady's are a lot harder to find)
Federal HST 124gr in my PPS
Federal mid size game hunting/defense rounds in my .223 (can't remember exact ones, but it was all the local store had available at the time)

For non-defensive uses:
Federal American Eagle 124gr in my Q5 match (for competitions as well as range use in any of my 9mms)
Federal AE22 or Remington Golden bullet in my .22's
Sig Sauer elite hunter in my .308 hunting rifle.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Kar98,

I am on board with you with that one. She is also a fraction of the size and girth of myself. So the lighter P99 she was able to hold onto more comfortably, and was more confident with it. The boat anchor 1911, while I am all about that puppy, she felt it was too heavy and wavered with it.

Now that you mention it, the 40 is a snappy little snot, where the 45 is just a push. Guess she likes what she likes, and far be it for me to tell her how she should feel about being behind the trigger. Hahah

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Now that you mention it, the 40 is a snappy little snot, where the 45 is just a push. Guess she likes what she likes, and far be it for me to tell her how she should feel about being behind the trigger.
Recoil perception is a strange thing. I enjoy shooting .357 and .44 Magnum, tolerate .45 ACP, and find .357 Sig uncomfortable.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Kar98,

I am on board with you with that one. She is also a fraction of the size and girth of myself. So the lighter P99 she was able to hold onto more comfortably, and was more confident with it. The boat anchor 1911, while I am all about that puppy, she felt it was too heavy and wavered with it.

Now that you mention it, the 40 is a snappy little snot, where the 45 is just a push. Guess she likes what she likes, and far be it for me to tell her how she should feel about being behind the trigger. Hahah
Good thinking!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Recoil perception is a strange thing. I enjoy shooting .357 and .44 Magnum, tolerate .45 ACP, and find .357 Sig uncomfortable.
Interesting.

I'm pretty much the opposite. I didn't enjoy shooting my previous EDC pistol, a 3" SP101 .357, so I switched to my old stand-by - .45 ACP.

Much happier now, and can shoot it with full-power loads all day in my M&P45 without an issue.

A cylinder or 2 of .357s in the SP and I was done.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello again everyone, I hope everyone is well. I have a question for all who would like to answer....
What kind of defensive ammo are you carrying, and what kind of ammo are you using for home defense??? Ready....set....GO!!!
9mm: Federal HST (124 grain)
.40 S&W: Federal HST (180 grain)
A saw an internet post several years ago where an individual had run dozens of different SDA in numerous calibers through ballistic gel. He recorded penetration depths for each round (5 rounds per test), an image of the ballistic gel after each test, and images of all 5 rounds together used in each test so you could visually see how each individual bullet performed. The Federal HST rounds appeared to perform the best overall including consistency between all 5 bullets used in each test wrt penetration depth and expansion width. My choice for both home defense and everyday carry.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I handload all of my ammo anymore. For 9mm I use 124gr hollow points from Hornady push at NATO velocities. I use that in my Kimber Micro 9. In my 380acp PPK/S I use a 90 grain hollow point bullet from Evergreen ammo loaded over a max charge. I get great accuracy from both loads.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
9mm: Federal HST (124 grain)
.40 S&W: Federal HST (180 grain)
A saw an internet post several years ago where an individual had run dozens of different SDA in numerous calibers through ballistic gel. He recorded penetration depths for each round (5 rounds per test), an image of the ballistic gel after each test, and images of all 5 rounds together used in each test so you could visually see how each individual bullet performed. The Federal HST rounds appeared to perform the best overall including consistency between all 5 bullets used in each test wrt penetration depth and expansion width. My choice for both home defense and everyday carry.
Sounds like you really know your stuff scientifically. Nice to see someone who's really into it like that. Very respectable.👍

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello again everyone, I hope everyone is well. I have a question for all who would like to answer....
What kind of defensive ammo are you carrying, and what kind of ammo are you using for home defense??? Ready....set....GO!!!
Any defensive situation, Federal Premium LE 9M/M +P with 124 grain HST bullet. Ave velocity for 5 rounds out of an S&W MP9 compact over my Chrony is 1205 FPS. ME 400 #ft.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Same in both cases however the caliber handy at home is 45ACP while carrying 9MM
Regarding the 9MM Speer Law Enforcement Gold Dot duty Ammo or Underwood Ammo's High Performance Xtreme Defender with a preference for the latter . Oh hey almost forgot Hornady Critical Defense also no joke for carry in 9MM there's a mag filed with that as well, not that you would need it after Underwood's makes contact

·
Registered
21 Posts
As a very recent first-time gun-owner, I'm not yet carrying: still looking at the implications and responsibilities of doing so.

But when I bought my PDP 4" compact, I asked the gun shop guy for a box of training rounds and a box of self-defense rounds. The latter was Sig V-Crown 124-grain JHP, which I finally go around to shooting last week, comparing it several different types of 115-grain FMJ brands I use for live-fire training.

At 5, 10 and 15 yards, the Sig cartridges gave the tightest groupings. I was impressed.

- John

·
Registered
163 Posts
You cannot go wrong with Federal HydraShock, HST, Gold Metal, SIG V-Crown, and Anything with Golden Saber/Dots projectiles. I like Barnes solids myself: have carried Barnes in 45 Auto, 9mm and 5.56N, also use Barnes for hunting when I can in .50 cal, 35R, .30-30, .223. I use several lead free cartridges. Sometimes availibility can be hard but Federal and now SIG is a gold standard for me when I cannot obtain Barnes. Federal GMM Berger is also good stuff. I have used Hornady early on quite a bit and tested Critical Defense, Critical Duty, and I found the Duty cartridges had inconsistent pressures, while the Defense cartridges were really good: so I leave Hornady off the list for this reason. I also like pretty much all of Megtech's ammo: found it to be consistent.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts