• Colt (any model)

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • S&W (any model)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please specify in your post)

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • A good old long gun (please specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A good, old-fashioned shotgun (please specify)

Votes: 3 8.8%
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This discussion began in the P88 forum but warrants a larger audience. It was kicked off by Deputy, who logged in with the following comment:

WHICH GUN DO YOU HAVE AT THIS EXACT MOMENT THAT IS LOADED AND READY FOR ACTION? And I have the BS detector activated, so don't reply with a "fibgun."

For me, I actually have 3 guns loaded and ready for action in my gun safe:
#1 A S&W Model 647S .45ACP.
#2 A Charter Arms Bulldog in .44Special
#3 A NAA mini-revolver in .22 magnum

If I had to grab one, it would be either #1 or #2...whichever my hand landed on. I have 100% confidence in either caliber.

Note: I don't keep a 1911A1 loaded and ready for action. I am not really comfortable with a cocked and locked 1911, no matter how much training I've had (and I've had a LOT) and how many safeties are on it. For military use, very cool. For home defense, I want a double action gun.

Dep

All right, folks, start your engines. Be sure to chime in on your post as to reasons, calibers, specific models, and anything else that strikes your fancy. :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
I keep a FS Walther P99 with 15 rounds of Speer of Gold Dot and an extra magazine available all the time. I also have a Glock 30 loaded with Speer Gold Dot near my desk in the basement with 2 magazines loaded with Speer Gold dot. There are usually about 140 rounds worth of 10-15 round magazines for the Walther and 6 magazines of range ammo loaded ready to go to the range.

The primary is the Walther.

My vote needs changed to the Walther. I thought I had multiple choices and tried to vote for both. Unfortunately after voting for the Walther I added the Glock which changed the Walther vote.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I clicked Other as a substitute for All Of The Above. Some are locked and loaded outside the safe also (Steyr M9, Walther PPK, WASR-10 AK-47, and S&W 916A 12 ga.)

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I had a bit of a "heads up!" on this, and intended to load up a couple of favorites just so I could add more to my list .... only it's Thanksgiving and I got a bit distracted.

Truthfully, (I know the BS meter is on!) The only firearm I have that is ALWAYS loaded and handy is my Colt Cobra. Not the most formidable of revolvers, but its been a good pal for a long time.

What I like about the Cobra is that it's handle is large enough to get a good grip on, but its still small and light enough to stuff into a back pocket. I have a nice floral carved holster for this revolver and it wears the nicest pair of stag grips I have ever been able to lay hands on. I consider it a bit of a BBQ piece - but nowhere near mm6mm6's fine engraved pieces.

The .38 is no .45, but I feel in the confines of the home, it's powerful enough.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I keep a Walther PPK/S loaded with hollow points handy at night (it's my carry gun) and a Walther P99c loaded and ready in the nearby gun safe (this one is loaded with Winchester 9mm FMJ). I also keep a 5-shot Ruger .44 magnum Deerstalker handy as well, in the event that something really gets started. The ammo of choice for this is Remington FMJ.

Heaven forbid that I'd ever need any of them -- and especially all of them -- but far better safe than unprepared and sorry ... or worse.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The guns in my safe aren't usually loaded though the magazines are. Right now I only have a Glock 36 that is loaded and ready to go since that is the carry gun. I also have a USPf45 in the bedroom with a loaded magazine but no round in the chamber.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
One reason I am not comfortable with a semi auto for the house, is that I don't like to keep a round in the chamber, and racking the slide is a bit noisy at night. With a revolver I can easily see if it is fully loaded, and no noise.

Is this a consideration for anyone else?

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One reason I am not comfortable with a semi auto for the house, is that I don't like to keep a round in the chamber, and racking the slide is a bit noisy at night. With a revolver I can easily see if it is fully loaded, and no noise.

I agree with Brad to a great degree. My P99c is kept loaded but in the gun safe. I know it well, it works flawlessly, and it's wonderfully accurate; but the "safety" aspects of the so-called long pull of the DA, especially in a SHTF situation, makes me uncomfortable when the prospect looms that the security alarm might power up in the night. That's why my side-of-the-bed gun is the Walther PPK/S. Even though the horsepower that it sports, the .380, gives many people pause, I'm comfortable with it because of the manual safety; this is also the primary reason why I carry the PPK. (There are other reasons, of course, not the least of which is familiarity -- but the idea of a safety is reassuring.)

My wheel-gun alternative at the moment is the Ruger Bearcat, a .22LR single-action firearm that, while mechanically wonderful and lots of fun to shoot on the range, just doesn't stand up to the job of self-defense for the home. I've been tempted on ocasion to pick up a nice Colt or S&W with a long barrel and a fat caliber, but too many Walthers ... so little time. :)

·
Banned
7,055 Posts

Searcher already listed the guns I have loaded and ready for action. As to ammo...the S&W 457S has Remmie Golden Sabre 230 grain non+p, and the Charter Arms has Speer Gold Dots. The NAA mini-revolver has CCI magnums in it. The mini isn't really a home defense gun. It's more a CCW weapon.

As to 153's comment above, I keep a round in the chamber in my 457S BECAUSE it is a double action semi. If it was a single action semi like a 1911, I would not keep a round in the chamber, nor would I pick that gun for home defense. Just too easy to have an accident discharge with it.

Dep

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
If you don't keep a round in the chamber it could be next to useless. You might as well throw your pistol at an intruder. If you worry about a round in the chamber you probably shouldn't own guns.

·
Registered
26 Posts

I'm comfortable with a round in the chamber as long as I am comfortable with the gun meaning that I have a few hundred rounds each through them without any issues.

My Glocks and XDs have loaded chamber indicators whereas my Hk, Sig, and 1911s don't so the former guns I am more comfortable comfortable with. I am uncomfortable keeping a 1911 locked and loaded. If I do keep a round in the chamber the gun is holstered even if at the bedside. If no holster, then no round in the chamber. Either way one of my guns is always loaded.

I lock my bedroom door which should give me some seconds in the case of an intruder. I also have 3 dogs so they should alert me to strange noises before I even hear them. Aside from the 'night time when everyone is asleep' intruders, I usually carry a loaded gun in the day time.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
OCGunner,

Your layered approach to security is a good one, and with locked doors and a dog - racking a round is much less an issue.

In the old days it was said that nothing scares a burglar more than the sound of a round being racked into a 12 gauge pump.

But I have heard others observe that doing anything that gives your position away is providing a bad guy with an advantage. I tend to agree with the latter.

·
Registered
536 Posts
My situation is just like Pit's.... a 15rd mag of GoldDots is always in the P99, with a spare mag next to it.

I don't keep a round in the chamber when it's not in a holster. Due to the layout of my place, giving away my position isn't too much of a concern... I'll know where THEY are based on what sound i hear (door break vs glass break, for example), so a slide-racking sound isn't going to give them much advantage, if any.

thorn

·
Registered
923 Posts
My home defense gun kept ready to go is my Walther P99 AS in .40 S&W. It's loaded with Federal Hydra Shoks. In the car is a second generation DAO Taurus PT111 MilPro (9mm) loaded with Federal Hydra Shoks.

Q

·
Registered
51 Posts
3 READY TO GO:

HKUSP45 (FULL SIZE W/ INSIGHT LIGHT)
POF P415 16" 5.56MM CARBINE W/ AIMPOINT AND 8 HK MFG AR MAGS
RUGER 10/22 RIFLE W/ CARBON FIBER BARREL (WEIGHS NEXT TO NOTHING)

Of course, I'd probably already have my P99 on me. In a case like this, there's probably a lot to be said for a good 22 rifle. I can think of no other weapon would allow me to carry a thousand rounds and still be able to move.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts

·
Banned
7,055 Posts

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Dep,

You already are where I was going to head WTSHTF!

Barring my immigration to another state, no matter what hits the fan, I'm staying put!!!! Read too many stories like the latest one concerning the Calif Wildfires. One retired fireman defied the mandatory evacuation, stayed home and saved his house with a garden hose. His neighbors houses burned!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts