Walther Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't seen a post for sniper350 in some time...he had some great threads on cleaning, shooting and tactics...I hope all is well...I would like to see some more info on point shooting and the suggestion on how to rack the slide with your thumb was a great help....Is all well

·
Registered
333 Posts
Jake,
Thanks for your concern, really! -smile- .......... I am still here.

Just waiting for a thread where I can contribute some helpful facts.

I will try and update the "point shooting" lessons. I try and shoot once a week to stay sharp......and always watch other shooters for a 1/2 hour or so behind the glass of the indoor range.......to maybe pick up some tips or tricks I haven't seen before. It seems I am always learning. Watched a guy this weekend that had some interesting techniques and was a really good shooter. The best thing this guy had learned in his shooting career was developing a wonderful "pace" and timing.

I think I will try to write up a lesson explaining the use of the procedure of timing and pace. Watching him was interesting........as he looked away from the target.........then suddenly addressed the target ,aquiring a new sight picture, and fired almost to the exact second each time. He was probably involved in competition shooting......... combat shooting being a bit different. But I believe "pacing" can be extremely important in combat shooting---when attacking several targets at one time. So, I will try to cover that.

Thanks again Jake........

JF

·
Registered
333 Posts
Continuing our education with point shooting…………. WHAT do we point at

Years ago, we were taught “Center Mass”……….this was the object of our shot placement. There I have said it…….” Shot placement” …….probably the most important aspect of self-defense with a weapon. It would be nice to be the fastest and to do the job with the least amount of Ammo, but bottom line--- ( and this will seem like the obvious) it will be the person that places a bullet in a vital area first, that will walk away.

I think we were taught “center Mass” because it made it easier to show good results on the firing line. But hitting a target in this area………does it produce the “stopping effects” we want, with a high enough degree of probability?? It has been my experience that it does not. The center mass theory allows for far too many rounds to hit low, and not strike any vital areas at all. This is not to say that serious injury or death may not follow such wounds….but what you want on the battle field is a quick stoppage of the attacker. The longer he is standing, the longer he presents a lethal threat to your life.

So a modified target area has been introduced that some people have called the “Triad”
Since this modified target area is smaller than center mass….it is harder to show high scores on the range. Some agencies need to show high marks or passing grades….so the “Triad” concept is not widely taught. It does require more practice and dedication to your personal shooting skills, but I think the results are more than worth the time—seeing how we are talking about saving one’s life. With the spread of bullet resistant body armor….this newer target area makes even more sense.

The TRIAD is a small triangle that forms across the chest, with the base of the triangle cutting across the Sternum and forming a point at the top of the head. Striking anywhere within this area has the very good potential of stopping an attacker immediately. The head & Face area is a no Brainer (pun )……the neck area is an extremely soft tissue target that can produce excellent results. The upper lungs are very good targets to stop an attacker quickly. Some older guys call this hitting the “Boiler maker”. The aorta and some other large arteries in this area ( if ruptured ) can cause an immediate loss of consciousness .
I have talked to many doctors and all have agreed that bullets wounds in this area (triad) have a “very” good potential for stopping an attacker “quickly”………unlike a hit to the lower liver or stomach which may cause death eventually, but leaves your attacker standing for many minutes.

So how do we effectively train to hit this smaller but more advantageous target. Also realizing this target can be “moved” more easily than a center mass target. I will submit that multiple trigger pulls are required in short ,but controlled burst. I like to train shooting three shot bursts. Keep in mind while you are training, that even a single hit in this area can make you a survivor. So if you miss twice, your score ON PAPER will look bad, but in a real life or death situation---you go home and the attacker does not.

So move the lines of your center mass targets……………and start practicing to survive. Don’t worry about scores and misses……as long as your 3 round burst shows [some] results in the triad !

As usual, this is only an opinion and not offered as legal advice……….and this information is only suitable where “deadly force” is justified for the protection of your life.

Stay safe………

JF.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts