Walther Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost had an issue today - I had forgotten that My P99s do not like these metal bodied Tipton snap caps I have - they only like the plastic bodied ones.

I was showing someone at the range how to use snapcaps, and I put the wrong one in. It got stuck in the chamber. It too me quite a while to get the damn slide off. And, then the barrel out of the slide. Finally, I had to put something down the barrel to knock the damn snapcap out. Finally, I got it out. And, no scratches in the barrel, thanksfully.

But I was sweating it.

One thing - this P99 required that I put my finger inside the grip and push the trigger bar down to get the slide all the way off. After this - fighting to get the slide off - It no longer does this. It is like my other two 99s - Strange. I test fired the gun after, though. And, it works.... So, I guess everything is fine.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Was "this is snap cap - hell!" what you said at the time, or the place you felt you had arrived?

We might as well learn from other's misfortunes and make a note of the metal vs. plastic snap cap story, since I feel the little things are an important part of practice and dry firing. Glad everything turned out ok, but also glad to have that little piece of hard-won information.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, the metal ones won't work in my Sw99 or the P99c either. Don't know why... Chamber size I guess. Slight difference. None of my other 9mms had this issue. Strange....

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I am no snap cap aficionado but I do use them...if you don't mind Ship, what brand were you using?

I use "A-Zoom" and have used them in all of my P99s and my P5 and have never had a bit of trouble.

Just curious?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Ship -- here is a good place to post this advice

Everyone should carry in their Range bag .....a wooden Dowel slighty smaller than the barrel's bore diameter. I like to bevel the edge of mine, so it will slip inside spent casings easier. It is a fast and easy way to check for a barrel obstruction after experiencing a light "pipper".

Not only can you remove stuck snap caps ........ I have had LIVE ammo that got jammed 3/4 of the way into the chamber........and would not go in or come out. This happens if you are not carefully inspecting all of your bullets before you load them into the magazine ........ one slipped pass me with a folded over crimp at the bullet head. Just a 1/16 inch is all it took. Placing the dowel inside the barrel and tapping it with a heavy object - with the barrel pointed down range - the live ammo retreated out of the chamber. It was scarry though !!

I use the Red plastic snap Caps also, most of the time. But if I am doing fast combat drills ........... I use the A-Zoom metal snap Caps ....... because the barrel of the pistol is smoken hot at that point & I was afraid the plastic might start to melt inside the chamber.

JF.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Since I can't edit my recent post ...... here is an addition

With live ammo stuck in your pistol's chamber ........best left to a gunsmith to have it removed !! I was lucky in that I had a guy helping me that knew what he was doing and we were able to free the extractor form the shell casing and move the Slide [ and firing PIN ] away from the live ammo.

You can NOT go slamming the front of the bullet too hard with any object or "Bullet Set Back" will occurr..........and I am not sure if ignition could happen if you compress things too much ! We were lucky in that tapping the bullet lightly with the wooden dowel freed it up nicely ......... however, if light taps would not have worked ........I would have stopped.

Before we used this method we tried banging the front of the slide against a bench to see if the extractor would pull the bullet free. It would not, but probably helped loosen up things a bit.

If I were able to edit the most recent post I would have omitted completely, the part about the live ammo.

Safety First !!

JF.

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
I only use A-Zoom anymore due to the rubber "primer" area....
I did not like the brass ones (I forgot their brand name)....
Were these the ones I had sent you way back when Ship :confused:

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Everyone should carry in their Range bag .....a wooden Dowel slighty smaller than the barrel's bore diameter. I like to bevel the edge of mine, so it will slip inside spent casings easier. It is a fast and easy way to check for a barrel obstruction after experiencing a light "pipper".
Yes. Good advice for sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts