Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I isolated the friction to the striker assembly.

Safely disassemble the pistol.

Take apart striker assembly.

Polish out the striker where it meets the spring.

Polish the 3 square prongs where it meets with the plastic housing.

Smoothed things out tremendously.

·
Registered
421 Posts
It does help some. This subject was covered pretty well on the old PPSTalk forum. Unfortunately, most of the "friction" is created by the striker spring stacking and bulging against the sides of the striker well walls. I even went as far as polishing the striker well in the slide and the outside surface of the spring itself. It all helps a little but in the end, it is still a striker-fired mechanism with its inherent properties.

Thanks for posting the info and pictures. Like I said, every little bit helps.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Further upgrade - bad? Will be putting up pics later...

Used an old trick I learned from my ownership of the Steyr M40-A1..
had some 1500-2500 grit sandpaper (available at an automotive store under the "finishing" section of the paint area). Using 2500 and a flat-blade screwdriver, I polished and BARELY rounded the back edge of the release bar (in the grip/frame, not on the striker).

Since then, I've got the trigger release down to about 5.1lbs, but it resets liquid smooth, and it doesn't have a hard snappy release (upwards of 8lbs percieved when I got the pistol). Can't tell if it made the release further forward, or if it's just so smooth now I don't realize I'm at the release point...
Also, for the record, my release is now at the same point as the Airsoft/Umarex PPS I picked up... :p

·
Registered
17 Posts
My first PPS trigger is some what gritty, help.

I purchased a PPQ for my birthday, its great. I became a forum member and became interested on the PPS. Well I just got my new PPS, and I notice the triger was some what on the positive side which I like but gritty as well which I dislike. I made a run to the range to shoot it and see if just a little work out will help settle things out. It shoots like a dream. After 100rds it did get a little better, but the grittyness is still very noticeable specialy on the reset. I have read some of the information here and its great, I wish it had more details on the break down and smothing things out. I'm more a hands on type of person, and a little skeptical on taking the task on hand. I can work a Glock with my eyes closed, I have had them for ever. Walthers are new to me, will appreciate your help.

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Great post. I used Wizards Polish cloth to hit mine up. It's amazing how smooth the trigger reset became after doing your trick. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
545 Posts
do you have to polish the entire striker? or just the 3 squares? what about the flat blocks right next to the firing pin ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've recently bought Walther PPS First Edition, manufacture year code is AH.
I've encountered the same issue of gritty take-up and especially gritty reset, which I hate as am spoiled by my Walther PPQ trigger.
I tend to agree that the grittiness to a larger extent should be attributed to the striker spring's friction against the striker well walls and the striker axis.
I've disassembled the striker assembly and it turns out the striker axis surface is noticeably rough. I can feel it distinctly when sweeping nail along the striker axis.
Besides, it has a noticeable hump halfway through the thicker part.
For curiosity's sake I disassembled a PPQ striker. It is polished and has a form that minimizes spring contact with the striker axis.
See a pic for comparison, PPS striker (top) vs. PPQ striker (bottom).

·
Premium Member
13,497 Posts
I can feel it distinctly when sweeping nail along the striker axis.
Besides, it has a noticeable hump halfway through the thicker part.
For curiosity's sake I disassembled a PPQ striker. It is polished and has a form that minimizes spring contact with the striker axis.
I've seen quite a few P99, SW99 and PPQ strikers. As the PPQ, a striker that's a little rough is not a problem, as the striker is fully cocked with the action of the slide. The trigger simply releases the striker.....sweet.

But on P99's and SW99's ..... well, they've got the de-cocker, which lets you de-cock the pistol placing the trigger in 'double action' mode, which means that as you pull the trigger, you're actually compressing the spring. And if the striker is the least bit rough, you'll feel it in the trigger as you're pulling during DA mode. I've performed the same procedure as outlined here....gently contouring and polishing the striker....made a noticeable difference. Also, if you'd like to lighten the DA trigger pull on your P99 or SW99, all you've got to do is install a lighter striker spring.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have polished the striker as suggested in the topic. It did help a bit.

I further disassembled the trigger mechanism and polished the trigger bar guide (part 12.8) on the inside, where trigger bar travels along. The trigger became smoother but still there was enough room for improvement.

Taking a step further, I compared striker springs of my Walther PPQ and PPS. They a almost identical, only the PPQ's spring is a tad shorter. I thought that a shorter spring would result in less spring bulging when compressed thus making less friction in the striker well.
Guess what I did next - yeah, I swapped striker springs between PPQ and PPS.
After all mods my PPS trigger with a shorter PPQ striker spring became really smooth.
On PPQ I didn't notice any change in trigger pull or smoothness with the PPS spring - just as before, a superb smooth light excellent PPQ trigger.
Test firing has shown that PPS with PPQ striker spring functions just as reliable as with the original spring.
Check the pic below - PPS (black, longer, top) and PPQ (white, shorter, bottom) striker springs side by side:
http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu91/aivonline/Walther PPS/IMG_3196-1.jpg

·
Premium Member
13,497 Posts
Yep, I've experimented/used Glock striker springs in my SW99's/P99's. Makes a very noticeable difference in the DA trigger pull. You can purchase the Glock springs here Springs for GLOCK ® Semi-Auto Pistols . They are available in 4, 4.5, 5, 5.5 and 6 pounds.....prices are $3.49 each...CHEAP. Note: when running a lighter striker spring you may have some light primer strikes....depends on the brand of ammo or primers used. These may or may not work for your PPS.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
...Note: when running a lighter striker spring you may have some light primer strikes....depends on the brand of ammo or primers used. These may or may not work for your PPS.
Yes. This can be a source of unpleasant surprises. Especially in cold weather or when the gun gets a little dirty. An extra bit of reliability "margin" never hurt anything.

M

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
I'd be happy just to see smoothing spelled correctly in the thread title. You know this stuff shows up world wide when searching for something like.....PPS trigger. :) M1911

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Searcher got it smoothed out. :D It wouldn't be so bad in the body of a post, but as a thread title.....it can show up worldwide if someone searches PPS trigger. Some times I'm in too much of a hurry to check to make sure my posts are correctly written. In any event, many thanks Searcher. :) M1911

·
Registered
211 Posts
I recently purchased a new PPS and love the gun but would love to get the trigger as smooth as possible. Is there a video or picture tutorial of what exactly you guys are polishing and the process you are using? I'm new to guns so I'm unfamiliar with the terminology and what specific areas of the parts need to be polished.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
211 Posts
If there isn't a video, can someone explain the polishing process? I've seen the pics in this thread that people are saying they are polishing but don't understand what part of it needs to be polished and what the process is for polishing it? Are you using one of those felt wheels on a dremel with some sort of polishing compound? What product specifically is good?

After getting a PPQ this past week and feeling what an amazing trigger feels like, I'd like to do what I can to make my PPS as smooth as possible. I realize it won't be like the PPQ.

Thanks for your help!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts