Walther Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought this would be prudent to share here - So with Ghurka's kind permission here's his PCT post:

I purchased one of the new PPK/S manufactured by S&W for Walther. Boy was I ever disappointed! After bringing the gun home and cleaning the gun, I discovered that the rifling was severely damaged. One of the lands was completely missing with just a rough line in the barrel where the land should have been. It appears the cutter or broach used to form the rifling was damaged, chipped or broken. No inspector noticed this defect? The gun was even test fired and yet no one noticed. It appears S&W just kicked this pistol out the door.
Of course, S&W is making good on it. But what a let down and hassle for me. Perhaps I should have spotted the defect while in the gun store. I don't normally looked for absent rifling in a new gun purchased over the count. This coupled with the low light, grease in the barrel and the usual purchasing euphoria and I missed it. Caveat Emptor!

Original PCT Post - S&W PPK/S

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mine looks great, but I can't get it to feed Hollow points, hows that working for you? No obviouse damage to the feed ramp.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think michael t is right.  My Interarms PPK functions perfectly and I've not noticed any design or material flaws concerning it.  I've never had any problems with the pistol and I consider it a real "keeper."

V/R  Robert

·
Registered
821 Posts
I think the S&W PPK/S's could be hit or miss.

Went to the range today and put another 150 through the PPK/S. My hand is a little sore, but I'm happy to report...

zero failures of any kind!

I keep her clean and lubed. Have a total of 300 rounds through it without as much as a hiccup. I hope this trend continues. Love the gun, slick shooter... The cycle is very short, and there's surprisingly little muzzle flip. Wish all experiences with S&W PPK/S's were so positive, I love mine!

-stunks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Are you feeding it JHP? If so what kind. I've only had one failure with the FMJ. I have 290 rounds through it total. Including 20 CorBons (Disaster) and 40 Hydrashocks.

·
Registered
821 Posts
20 or so Hydrashoks, they did just fine.

Other than that, I use Winchester white box from wally world, though I'm a little dissapointed with how DIRTY they seem to leave the gun. The little thing's really hard to clean.

-stunks

·
Registered
821 Posts
Not that it's hard to break down and get everything separated, but powder residue seems to find its way into every little nook and cranny, especially between the slide and breech block area. My fingers (and toothbrush) are just too fat to fit in there!

I think the slide rails are also hard to clean on the slide. The frame isn't so bad. I take off the grips and I spray out with BreakFree, and then dab dry with a patch/cloth...

Maybe I'm too anal about my gun being in pristine condition, cleaning is no exception, I want it spotless! ...and that's really hard to do, I think.

-stunks

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I know what you mean, my interarms ppk doesn't take long before it is fouling up, especially the extractor. I have noticed that winchester white box is cleaner practice ammo than the umc stuff from federal. I don't notice as much a problem on my blued guns, since I can't see the fouling as much
. Out of sight, out of mind, since I am very poor about cleaning intervalls. Sometimes I have gone as much at 500 to 800 rds before cleaning on some of my full size hand guns, like P99's and glocks. The ppk and 1911's seem to need to be cleaned more often before they start causing problems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts