Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new member here. Not my first Walther, but I just got a beautiful blued PPK/S made post-recall. I love it, and I shoot it extremely well, but I had several failures to chamber. It seemed to happen with only one magazine, and generally on the second round chambered (after the first shot fired). The round would go most of the way into the chamber, but would stop a centimeter or two out of battery. Tapping the slide was always enough to send it home, but I'm confused as I don't see how this could be a mag issue, but also seemed to only happen with the one mag, which I've now quarantined.

Also, I am completely unable to strip the gun. Yes, I am following all the necessary steps. But I cannot for the life of me get the slide to tilt up after I pull it back. I'm not sure if I should just get a buddy and muscle it off, as I don't want to break the gun, but I bought it used and put 150 rounds through it today, so I have no idea what I should do to get the thing apart. Any advice on either of these issues would be much appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
7,317 Posts
The recoil spring on these guns is sometimes a scosh too long when compressed.
Push the upper edge of the slide (in front of the front sight) against the edge of a non-marring surface (workbench), and push until you can lift the slide.
Check that the narrow end of the spring was pushed on the barrel.
Be in touch with Walther about a replacement spring.
Welcome,

Moon

·
Super Moderator
7,317 Posts
Once apart, try 'plonking' the chamber with the rounds you've been using (Drop in a round; it should seat completely and drop back out freely).
Is the chamber clean?
Moon

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did the whole workbench trick, still cannot get the thing apart. I’ve cleaned it as best I can given that I can’t tear it down, but I may end up taking it to a gunsmith and seeing if he can get it off.

·
Premium Member
13,807 Posts
I had several failures to chamber. It seemed to happen with only one magazine, and generally on the second round chambered (after the first shot fired). The round would go most of the way into the chamber, but would stop a centimeter or two out of battery. Tapping the slide was always enough to send it home, but I'm confused as I don't see how this could be a mag issue, but also seemed to only happen with the one mag, which I've now quarantined.

!
As it applies to your feeding issue. Carefully dismantle the bad mag and one of your good mags....being very careful remove the spring and follower, laying them on the bench, just the way they came out of the mag. Now, would be a good time to take a picture of these parts laying on the workbench, while they're laying side by side. In addition, now would be a good time to use some method to mark these parts, so after you do a little mixing matching, you'll be able to identify which spring and follower go in which tube.

Now, put the spring from the good mag into the mag body that's giving you trouble. Go shoot it. If it's still presenting the same problem, try swapping followers (now you've got the good spring and follower in the bad mag). Go test it.

etc. etc. etc.

It's trial and error.............

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
... I'm confused as I don't see how this could be a mag issue, but also seemed to only happen with the one mag, which I've now quarantined.
Well, it IS a mag issue.

It's happening because the second cartridge is not being presented at the correct angle; i.e., slightly up. Instead it's being presented slightly nose-down. And because S&Ws have that god-awful hogged-out feed ramp, the bullet nose is not being bumped up to correct the presentation angle in time to feed smoothly. Some of the slide's energy is lost overcoming the stubbing, so it hangs up slightly out of battery. The super-strong recoil spring (possibly in backward) only makes matters worse by shortening the time window in which all this has to take place.

I'd start by dismantling the mag that's causing trouble and thoroughly cleaning inside, paying particular attention to the follower.

There is an FAQ on this subject, but don't feel guilty -- nobody else reads them either.

M

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hope you find the cause and fix it. But if you don’t, call Walther service and relate the problem. I have sent my S&W PPK to them on their dime twice, and they have fixed it and sent it back. Again on their dime. Usually takes less than a week.

·
Super Moderator
7,317 Posts
There is only one way your gun could be put together, and it will come apart again the same way.
However, if brute force doesn't do it (and you don't want to slip and bugger something), be in touch with Ft. Smith and send it back on their dime.

Whatever sins the Walther management may have, their rep here for customer service seems good.
Moon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts