Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
This is my first post and I am quite anxious to read the replies. As you may have guessed from my username I am hoping to find answers about a PPK 380 project I am attempting. I love the look, finish, history of the classic W.German ppk .380 but seeing as I do not have 1k+ to drop on one I have had to come up with an alternative; that alternative being to purchase a SW PPK .380 and trying to convert it as much as possible to resemble a classic PPK 380.
I.E. (did I use that correctly) REDUCING the beaver tail to original specs, removing the "Smith Wesson Houlton Maine" rollstamp (which I believe is legal as long as serial numbers are not messed with which I would in no case do), and have it refinished.
Yes I am aware of the infamous "slide bite", don't care. This will be for CCW and ,as my name states, a project sidearm. Will never be resold so I am not worried with resale value. Also I am sure the rollstamp removal will probably not be that pretty even after it is refinished but again I do not mind.
Any thoughts on possibility, price, methods, recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx!

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
If an "original" is what you really want, save your money and buy one.
I agree with Glenn-SC. If You want the original Walther look just buy an Interarms-USA PPK. It's identical to the German model in design and comes in blue or stainless steel. Prices run in the $450 - $500 range. I bought my stainless IA PPK here in the Trading Post section... :)

·
Registered
244 Posts
With a little effort [local gun stores/shows, Pawn shops, online BST forums/auctions] you should be able to find an Interarms Walther in 2-3 months.

It will take longer to source a PPK versus a PPK/S. Interarms imported German made Walters would be harder to find.

It took me over 3 years to find a pre-68 7.65mm Walther PP.

·
Super Moderator
7,493 Posts
Gotta agree with the other posters; if it's the original Walther look you want, go searching for an Interarms stainless gun; they take the abuse of carry without any guilt.
OTOH, why not just give an S&Walther a try? Reports here have been mixed, but better lately, and those with problems are more likely to come here looking for answers. The happy campers just shoot their guns and call it good.
Before you spend a bunch of money modding the frame (and I'd leave the Smith markings the hell alone; if it ever does give trouble, you'd have a real bastard on your hands), why not carry and shoot the Smith a bit, make sure you're happy with function? Then, if the look still bugs you, do the mods. While a Smith-marked gun with the small tang would be neat, you may find that you actually prefer the big tang for shooting, especially if you go .380.
One last observation; for concealed carry, the impulse is to choose .380. However, many here favor the .32 because of its frequently better reliability and shootability; it is the caliber the gun was designed around.
Moon

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
No amount of lipstick will change an S&W into a Walther.

Saving your money and hunting for the right pistol is more than half the fun!

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
I recall seeing a photo posted somewhere on the internet, and perhaps on this very forum, where someone ground off the beavertail to match original specs (or something approaching original specs, anyway) and did some other odds and ends. In the end, the pistol looked like ... an S&W model with a shortened beavertail. As has been stated, you'd be better off steering clear of the S&W model and finding one of the real deals.

FWIW, I bought an Interarms .380 PPK this past summer in its original box, with manual and cleaning tool and extra magazine, for under $500 from a local gunshop. The Interarms pistols perfectly match the original specs, they function well as a general rule, and they are affordable. That's a much smarter way to go, IMO.

Good luck, in any event. And welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Save your money and buy the real walther PPK. Even
though Smith and Wesson could make a classic Walther PPK
as they currently make a list of classic revolvers, you and I will
never see a classic Walther PPK.

al

·
Registered
425 Posts
Go look on Gunbroker,, you should find what you want there, Interarms guns are quite readily available and for reasonable $$$$$$.

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
Something tells me we won't hear back from "projectppk", but this has turned out to be a rather interesting set of thoughts. 1/2 Moon, Searcher, and especially 153 have nailed the proverbial nail on the head. Even if one were to somehow able to alter the external appearance of a Smith & Wesson copy, the internal workings and specs will still have been "tinkered" with. It would take even a highly skilled gunsmith (who has access to a good machine shop) a lot of time and effort to return a Houlton to the original specifications.

Just wait until you can locate an Interarms. Take a road trip - make a weekend of it. Google to find all of the gun stores in your state within a 150 mile radius and make a day of it. It's out there. You just have to go and get it.

-Pilotsteve

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dont count on it Steve Im rapidly becoming hooked to this forum (as if I needed another distraction from work!) I really appreciate all the responses everyone posted. First of let me say that I have been on gunbroker A LOT lately and haven't found a blued PPK 380 from interarms. I did see a 67 walther .380 PPK.....for $2400(OUCH!!) Also there were some lovely N CROWN .32 (looked like great shape but hey what do i know) as a pocket carry I do worry about the caliber, also the price of $875 seemed a bit steep.
And I am sure a plethera of you fine gentleman will start in on me here, but I have always steered clear of used guns not because I mind they are used, but because I can NEVER know how they were used (I.E. to what means). Call me silly, and I am sure alot you will, but I dont need any bad gun ju ju. Read on a forum recently about a guy who had a PPK stolen, then the perp committed suicide and the police returned it with the blood still on it.
Link:interarms ppk 380 - Calguns.net
Ok Im rambling so let me wrap up. Anyway to check a firearms history since apparently a Smith is Always gonna be a Smith. And as Im sure it has been covered here before I wont bring it up again but would ask for a link referring me to page with Used walther prcing suggestions etc etc. Thanks again to all who have posted and being so patient with an PPK newbie.

·
Registered
211 Posts
project ppk please be patient and I think you'll find a good condition germam made one. Within the past few months I've seen maybe 5 go for betwenn $650-800 on various auction sites. Of course they aren't collector quality but would propbalby suit you fine as a carry weapon. The Smith PPK is not the same pistol as the german made ones ( as previously posted). Interarms versions are pretty close and yes blued ones a hard to find. I think the fit and finish aren't quite as nice, but as time goes on its hard to find production guns of real quality in general.

I own a 1932 PPK and some post war ones also. I've examined them very closely under the lens and my 80 year old PPK is by far overall better made. The time and attention to finish work in certain areas just wasn't spent after the war. As for S&W, the Model 27 "registered" in my opinion the best production revolver ever produced. But compare an early version to today's version--there's no comparison, In the end I don't think S&W has singled out just the PPK to make sub-par, unfortunately it's just the time we live in. Happy Hunting!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey KPahsa,
were these .380 Walther made PPK'S? Because I havent found any :( And I agree, I held a SW PPK and it felt like getting stuck with the cute friend of the hot girl you really wanted to dance with...better to not be alone but just not the same!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hey KPahsa,
were these .380 Walther made PPK'S? Because I havent found any :( And I agree, I held a SW PPK and it felt like getting stuck with the cute friend of the hot girl you really wanted to dance with...better to not be alone but just not the same!
yes they were german PPK's. They're out the brother. I know because I was outbid on 2 of them, one on GB the other on auctionarms. The others were on gunsamerica and armslist.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, I just came across a pair of (listed) C489QWALTHER PPK 380 NIB consecutive Pair.....this has to be bs right? Make year 1968

·
Registered
211 Posts
Ok, I just came across a pair of (listed) C489QWALTHER PPK 380 NIB consecutive Pair.....this has to be bs right? Make year 1968
I did see that ad. And thats about as good as it gets in terms of collectibility of a post war ppk in .380. If it's $2650 for both, then IT REALLY IS NOT A BAD PRICE especially if consecutive numbers. One NIB went for I think around $1800 a few months back on GB.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts