Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience using a SmartCarry holster for your P-99? What size holster? Medium? Large?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I use a SmartCarry for my P99QA whenever I can't wear an unbuttoned overshirt for whatever reason. Concealment is total, comfort is...pretty good. With a little practice (with an unloaded gun) you can draw it just as fast as anything else.

The only thing I do a little different is place an old student ID card in the holster over the trigger guard. SmartCarry is not flimsy, but I feel better knowing that something isn't going to somehow pull the trigger thru the fabric. With a decocked AS I probably wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
I have the thunderwear holster - what SmartCarry used to be called - Got it in the 1990s. I never used it. I don't like it. It is okay if U stand. Go sit down w/ it, though. It gets uncomfortable after a while - even with my Keltec 32!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[b said:
Quote[/b] (BlakeTyner @ Sep. 16 2006,11:43)]The only thing I do a little different is place an old student ID card in the holster over the trigger guard.  SmartCarry is not flimsy, but I feel better knowing that something isn't going to somehow pull the trigger thru the fabric.  With a decocked AS I probably wouldn't worry about it.
Why not just decock your QA? Aren't the decockers on both the AS & QA mechanically the same?

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (kankujoe @ Sep. 16 2006,8:45)]Why not just decock your QA? Aren't the decockers on both the AS & QA mechanically the same?
The problem is that decocking an AS puts the gun into regular Double Action meaning that it would take a relatively longer and heavier trigger pull than it would when cocked and in Single Action, but it can still fire. In contrast, decocking the QA means the gun cannot be fired until the slide has been partially racked in order to cock the action. Typically this means a person carrying a P99 QA will carry it cocked (or pre-cocked) with one in the chamber, just like a Glock. On a P99 QA, the decocker's main purpose is to avoid the step where you must pull the trigger to disassemble the gun like you would with a Glock. It's not to be a safety to carry an uncocked gun.

When you leave behind the conventional holsters that shield the trigger, you enter an area where you are more likely to encounter something making contact with the trigger and possibly setting it off. I know of a situation in Vegas where an undercover officer had a Glock placed down the front of his pants. The trigger got tangled up on his clothes and he was shot by his own gun. This is only anecdotal and I'm sure many Thunderwear / Smart Carry people will swear by the product, but when carrying a pistol without a safety or a heavy / long trigger pull, it's best to carry it in an appropriate holster.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your imput.

For now I will carry my PPK/S in the SmartCarry or I will carry my P99 with one in the chamber but "decocked." Since it only requires the slide to be moved slightly to "recock" it I don't see it as a major problem if the need ever arises.

I could be wrong because such sitations would be very stressful. But then again it may help prevent "jumping the gun" needing to recock prior to firing.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
I think there was another thread on the whole - carrying the QA with the gun decocked. If you are not comfortable carrying a round in the chamber, then maybe you shouldn't be carrying. I too had some "issues" when I got my 1st gun in 1993 - a Glock 17. But, after having it a few months, I became more comfortable w/ it, and started to keep a round chambered.

Please realize that there are several realistic scenarios which may require you to use a gun in self defense - and, quite often, U are lucky to be able to even bring the gun to bear in time. By you assuming you will have enough time to cock your gun - I think U are making a mistake in carrying it that way. The QA decocker is not designed to be a carry safety.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (ShipWreck @ Sep. 17 2006,12:17)]Please realize that there are several realistic scenarios which may require you to use a gun in self defense - and, quite often, U are lucky to be able to even bring the gun to bear in time. By you assuming you will have enough time to cock your gun - I think U are making a mistake in carrying it that way. The QA decocker is not designed to be a carry safety.
This is very well said. There are a lot of things that go into carrying for self defense. Things that come up in actual self defense scenarios are things that you may not have contemplated or practiced. Simple tasks are not always simple when you are in a self defense situation.

One guy at a local range had practiced drawing from some sort of fanny-pack (turned around like a belly-pack), but he had not figured that he would be in a situation where he would not have both hands free. (He had practiced opening the pouch with his off-hand and drawing with his strong hand.) Sure enough he ended up in a situation where he had to hold off an attacker armed with a knife with his off-hand while he fumbled opening the pouch with his strong hand. It was a mess, he did survive the encounter, but he changed his carry rig and practice routine.

Personally, I think keeping your draw and presentation as simple as possible is the best. However, whatever method you choose to use, definitely practice it. If you're going to add the re-cocking step for using the QA, practice that because thinking about it is easy but doing it when you've never practiced it and your life is on the line is different.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
[b said:
Quote[/b] (ShipWreck @ Sep. 17 2006,12:17)]I think there was another thread on the whole - carrying the QA with the gun decocked. If you are not comfortable carrying a round in the chamber, then maybe you shouldn't be carrying. I too had some "issues" when I got my 1st gun in 1993 - a Glock 17. But, after having it a few months, I became more comfortable w/ it, and started to keep a round chambered.

Please realize that there are several realistic scenarios which may require you to use a gun in self defense - and, quite often, U are lucky to be able to even bring the gun to bear in time. By you assuming you will have enough time to cock your gun - I think U are making a mistake in carrying it that way. The QA decocker is not designed to be a carry safety.
Thanks for your advice... I just happen to disagree with it.

If I'm going to carry next to my privates I will carry a gun with a manual safety (PPK/S) or I'll carry the P99 decocked.

Carrying in a rigid holster is one thing... carrying in a fabric holster is quite another.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Well I don't think my advice is especially wanted on this topic but since we're all throwing it out there, I'll join in. I of course am with the others in that chambered and ready to fire is the best way to carry. If your carry method makes you worry that the trigger is insufficiently protected though I would urge you to reconsider carrying without a round chambered and not decocked on a QA. If you have to manipulate the slide I think you'd be far better giving it a full front to back rack or knowing if you have to do it one handed you can place it and push it. I think in a high stress time if you attempt to cock the gun on a chambered round you're just asking to rack the slide too far to cock it and not far enough to clear it completely and wind up with a partial ejection or some feeding issue that will really throw a wrench into your plans. Ymmv, just something to consider.

·
Registered
65 Posts
To add to the madness...

When I first got the SmartCarry I put the (unloaded, checked, and rechecked) P99 into it, cocked, and wore it around the house for about a week. I jogged, ran around, did situps and pushups, everything I could think of. At the end of the week the striker was still primed. I even tried pulling the trigger through the garment, which I couldn't do. I've carried my QA locked-and-cocked without the plastic ID card in the holster without much worry, but having it in there just sets my mind at ease.

This is just my own personal opinion, but a decocked QA is useless, except as a blunt striking instrument. YMMV.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts