Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shoot pretty informally, which is mostly plinking coke cans, beer bottles, cups, and assorted junk people leave out in the desert area we shoot at. So far, I LOVE this pistol. I paid about $626 after taxes for the blued slide with black frame model with a SA/DA trigger chambered in 9mm. I did of course lube it a tiny bit with CLP and some bearing grease on the slide rails before taking it out today. The grip is great and even better with a Hogue Handall cut for it. If you want to see a picture of it with the grip I made a post in the Hogue Grip thread. It's very comfortable to shoot and I plan to carry it when I get my CCW.  

It's probably more accurate than me for now though. I was able to hit small ammo box sized targets from about 25 yards fairly easily with concentrated aiming. I'm not very proficient with pistols, but I plan to get very aquainted with my P99, so I have a lot of room for improvement. I shot around 270-300 rounds of the Winchester 100 round value packs of ammo from Wal-Mart. Although I forgot to look before buying it, it's 115 gr. ammo. The P99 FAQ at http://www.praxagora.com/lunde/WaltherP99FAQ/ recommends using 124 gr. rounds or larger to break it in. I didn't have a single issue or malfunction, failures to feed/extract or stoppages of any kind with the pistol using this ammo though. Every round went bang. I also shot some +P Federal Hydrashocks to do some limited reliability tests with this ammo towards the end of our plinking fun (all of 5 rounds since I wanted to save the rest) and had no issues. I'm not really a pistol junkie, but the trigger seemed good and smooth to me. Around 500 rounds or so it's supposed to be very good and very smooth.

I only had two "gripes" I suppose. First, I only had my 2 10 round magazines that came with the gun, which meant I was reloading every 20 rounds. Also, functionally, the only thing I took notice of that was possibly out of the ordinary when I first got the pistol, was that the slide release was difficult to manipulate with just my trigger finger or thumb when a full magazine was inserted (I had to use my index finger and thumb on my left hand to pull it down). However, once a round was cycled into the chamber, it came out just fine. After breaking it in though this "problem" went away. I like using my trigger finger to release the mag.

Speaking of magazines, I'm going to DEFINATELY be ordering three or four 16 round pre-ban mags for it soon. I'm also going to slap on some night sites. Later on down the road, I'm going to order a threaded barrel in anticipation of getting a sound suppressor. I also picked up one of those nice aluminum cases to carry it and all my accessories in at http://www.lowes.com/lkn?act....d=true. Should work out pretty well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[b said:
Quote[/b] (gunmanguns @ Feb. 14 2004,11:57)]where are you from? you paid way to mutch for your gun.im from boise,ID and paid an even $500 od green 9mm new in the box.
I'm from Phoenix, AZ. I paid $580 not counting sales tax. That was the best deal I could find short of having one mail ordered. A local guy offered to order me one for $560 shipped and with taxes, but I honestly couldn't wait two weeks to get it. I don't get to go out and shoot much and this weekend was perfect so I jumped on the cheapest one available here in the city. Other places wanted $650 or didn't even have it. Even www.impactguns.com is asking $570 and that's not including shipping or an FFL transfer.

·
Registered
124 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Alien @ Feb. 14 2004,11:01)]I'm going to DEFINATELY be ordering three or four 16 round pre-ban mags for it soon. http://www.lowes.com/lkn?act....d=true. Should work out pretty well.
The AWB that prohibits Hi-Cap Mags is set to expire in September '04. Some people are waiting to buy their Hi-Caps because they might be able to get the same $75 Hi-Cap mag for $35 seven months from now.

It's just something to consider. Good luck.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Aah BreakerMorant

that is a very good news. I wish i Knew how to post a sticky thread for all to see that important news. Thanks for the info. Better to wait before purchasing.

H

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[b said:
Quote[/b] (BreakerMorant @ Feb. 15 2004,2:34)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Alien @ Feb. 14 2004,11:01)]I'm going to DEFINATELY be ordering three or four 16 round pre-ban mags for it soon. http://www.lowes.com/lkn?act....d=true. Should work out pretty well.
The AWB that prohibits Hi-Cap Mags is set to expire in September '04.  Some people are waiting to buy their Hi-Caps because they might be able to get the same $75 Hi-Cap mag for $35 seven months from now.  

It's just something to consider.  Good luck.
I don't think I can wait that long
. I need some normal capacity magazines for the next time I go shooting. It's just a pain to reload two low capacity magazines over and over. I'm well aware of the AWB sunsetting though
. I also have an AR-15 in an M4 type configuration (fixed clollapsing stock and flash suppressor looking muzzle break) that I'm itching to outfit after it expires.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts