Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a reality check. I sent my PPK/S to a gunsmith in Alabama noted for being an expert with this model, and requested a trigger job and he recommended a "reliability" package (assuming this is polishing the feed ramp, etc.). He's had the pistol for 4 months. Just before the holidays, when I reached out to check on the work, he said he would "get right on it". How much is too long for such work, by a lone gunsmith? What should I do? Ask him to return the gun, ask for a discount, etc.? I feel if I keep pestering him the work quality will go down and the price will go up!! LOL Any advice is welcome..this is the first time I've ever sent a gun out of state for work. Is it supposed to take this long? Thanks!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I feel that's unacceptable but, why rush him now. If it's a one man operation and he's good I guess one could wait a little longer

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
It really depends on the Gunsmith and the work. There are guys out there with waitlists years long. Some of them are even worth it. I recently picked up a 50's DS that was sitting in my local guys shop for well over a year while he was unsuccessfully trying to find a part.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lesson learned, for sure...should have discussed time frame; but, was more concerned with the cost. Good point about why rush him now! LOL No parts needed and this guy worked for years at Interarms in VA when this PPK/S came down the assembly line, so I cannot think of a better guy to work on it! So, I'll take comfort that it's at least in good hands. But, I have heard those horror stories of repairs that take over a year. Should repairs have birthdays? I have an XD to keep me company; but, hard to beat that PPK/S for a comfortable, slim carry pistol. But the DA pull on this one was 24 lbs!

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
One presumes you're referring to Mike McClellan in Alabama. He is indeed a solo practitioner, and there is no better Walther mechanic. So your choice is between fast and good.

The time to ask "how long" is before you ship it.

M

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
Lesson learned, for sure...should have discussed time frame; but, was more concerned with the cost. Good point about why rush him now! LOL No parts needed and this guy worked for years at Interarms in VA when this PPK/S came down the assembly line, so I cannot think of a better guy to work on it! So, I'll take comfort that it's at least in good hands. But, I have heard those horror stories of repairs that take over a year. Should repairs have birthdays? I have an XD to keep me company; but, hard to beat that PPK/S for a comfortable, slim carry pistol. But the DA pull on this one was 24 lbs!
24 lbs? What vintage of PPK/S is it? Just curious.

·
Premium Member
8,647 Posts
If it is indeed Mike you are in excellent hands. When you weapon gets back you will be entirely satisfied.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I remember once I asked my boss if he wanted the job "good" or "fast" and he said "good and fast", LOL. But, when it comes to a carry pistol, I'll take the "good"! Thanks for all the great responses, much appreciated. Looks like I picked the right guy for the job.
I honestly cannot remember when I purchased this stainless .380 PPK/S; but, it was NIB from Interarms, probably around 1990. I had an FFL back then, before the Brady Bill got me too aggravated to fool with it any longer, and I picked it up for around $300 from a distributor in the "Shotgun News" (remember those?). I shot a couple of magazines (SA from a sandbag at 25 feet it grouped into one ragged hole...a sweet shooter!) and put it back in the box due to the horrendous DA trigger pull. Rediscovered it almost 30 years later when digging through an old storage trunk and decided to have that action looked at. Just an awful DA pull I measured at 24lbs; but, I could never part with it.
P.S. Any ideas on sights for these 60 year old eyes on that PPK/S that would still work in existing holsters? Thanks again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
There’s another option I was looking a few years back and came across two options
Alabama and Delaware
The one I chose was gunshooter enterprises in Delaware I believe they were quick to turn it around and I’m happy I chose them since I’m on the east coast shipping wasn’t a problem and I’m ok with the work and cost

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for that alternate gunsmith. Glad you were happy with the results. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the wait was worth it and the additional reliability work will be at a reasonable cost. My thinking is, the longer you wait, the less you should pay, LOL; but, it doesn't always work out that way, darn it! When I do finally get the pistol back from Mike at M&M in Alabama, I'll update this group on the quality of the job. Thanks again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts