Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, i've just purchased my P99 Wed. and took it to the range the next day...I really really like the gun, but i've noticed that it already shows signs of wear on the slide after only getting about 150 rounds...is it just me, or is this Tennifer finish not as durable as what people say? there's some wear on the right side of the slide, right at the edge of the chamber and above the extractor...is this normal or just an isolated incidence?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Tennifer is not a finish, but a heat treating process. The finish is black phospate!! The chamber of my G36, which is tennifered shows the same wear as does my P99.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Swift, that doesn't look like wear, it looks like brass deposit on top of the finish.  I get the same thing on the brass deflector of my AR.  Try giving it a good scrub with a patch or cloth with some Hoppes. However, if you're using steel-cased ammo, like Wolf, all bets are off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Administrator @ Dec. 07 2002,9:17)]Swift, that doesn't look like wear, it looks like brass deposit on top of the finish.  I get the same thing on the brass deflector of my AR.  Try giving it a good scrub with a patch or cloth with some Hoppes.  However, if you're using steel-cased ammo, like Wolf, all bets are off.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Swift, that doesn't look like wear, it looks like brass deposit on top of the finish. I get the same thing on the brass deflector of my AR. Try giving it a good scrub with a patch or cloth with some Hoppes. However, if you're using steel-cased ammo, like Wolf, all bets are off.
i was using American Eagle 180gr. FMJ, which, to the best of my knowledge, does have a brass jacket...i just tried scrubbing it with bore cleaner, but it doesn't seem to want to come off...are u sure that's brass desposits (i'm really hoping that's all it is)? should i use something stronger? thanx guys...

·
Registered
411 Posts
That sure looks like brass to me as well.
If it bothers you that much, try a stronger cleaning solvent.
I know that the brass deposits are very tough to get off of my AR brass deflector.
The brass deposits are coming off of the spent casings during ejection.
The more rounds you put thru your P99, the more the springs will relax, then the rounds will begin ejecting with a little more authority, then the brass deposits will probably dissapear.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cool..thanx guys...
glad to know it's only brass depsosits...i was beginning to think this finish was about as tough as freshly applied spray paint..

·
Registered
411 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheSwift1 @ Dec. 07 2002,11:39)]cool..thanx guys...
glad to know it's only brass depsosits...i was beginning to think this finish was about as tough as freshly applied spray paint..
No that would be Sig Sauer's finishes.

·
Registered
229 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (NM_P99 @ Dec. 07 2002,12:26)] No that would be Sig Sauer's finishes.
Uh, oh!  You've gone and done it now.  You'd better watch your back.    

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Mine does the same thing. And yes it is brass. I just use Hoppes No.9 and a little elbow grease and it comes right off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts