Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 04 P99 in .40 has quite a bit of side to side play on the front of the slide.  It rattles fairly loudly when you shake it slightly.  It shoots better than my first P99 and prior S&W99.  It was also my first pistol that I didn't have to adjust the sights on out of the box.  So, it apparently doesn't effect accuracy but the rattle gets to me.  How much is acceptable?
Anyone have any thoughts about this possible non issue?

This is my first post so I hope I've done it right.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've felt the same thing on my 99c, but only when its empty. Try chambering a round with a full mag, something about the pressure on the bottom of the slide from the mag makes mine tighten up and lock together perfectly. By the way, I've had 1,000+ rounds through it with no real problems, so I wouldn't worry about it just yet.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
You are correct, slide to barrel lock up is what affects accuracy.  Slide to frame play will not, but I agree it is annoying.  My 03 will rattle if you shake it hard.  It is somewhat designed this way for reliability.  So if you drop it in mud (I know it will never happen) it will still cycle and shoot.  How much play is acceptable?  I think as long as the slide stays on the frame.  Those steel inserts the hold the slide on are pretty hard steel.  It may be that frame loosnes is just a consequence of a polymer framed pistol.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I tried the chambered loaded mag with no difference. None of my other brand pistols have near as much slide racket. I was just trying to make sure I should stick with this one for a project pistol.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Well, U can always contact Walther USA/S&W and complain. But, to be honest, if you think it shoots so well, I wouldn't worry about it.

My Walther P99c slide was tighter than my SW99 was. After hard chroming, though, the P99c is about the same, but the SW99 tightened up a bit. It isn't quite as loose. That's about the only other thing I can think of.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love the pistol and I'm definately keeping it. It's an AS model and I haven't seen one in .40 around here for a while. I'm curiouse to see if there is any difference after having it hard chromed but I'm still waiting to hear back from tripp. I'm having additional things done also. I called but he said to wait until they review my email of specifics. Shipwreck, thanks for the photos, but do you have any of the right side so I can see how your extractors look with black polymer? I'm trying to decide between that, chrome or just leaving it as is.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Well, I only took 1 of that side - it was in my very first post when I got my compact hard chromed. I'll repost the pic below - Basically, it's just a richer, solid black color. The extractor is already black, but mine has a rough surface - like it was rubbed by a piece of metal or something - That appears to be the natural finish to the extractor. The polymer coating on it and the decocker button makes the black a uniform, flat matte color. I like it.

Since I left the barrel black, and the sights are black, I decided to keep the extractor black - I never really considered chroming that too. I like the 2 tone look myself.

Are you planning on chroming everything on top of the frame (slide, barrel, deocker buton, etc)?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I only want the slide chromed. I also prefer the two tone look. I'm considering the black polymer for the decocker and extractor. I thought chroming the extractor would make it much easier to see just how clean I could keep it but I think it might look a little goofy. So, have you had any issues with the decockers or extractors after having them done? I was concerned of tightening tolerances. I'm thinking I'll also coat the slide stop after a little work. How is the polymer wearing?

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
I have had no extractor issues, and I have both my SW99 and P99C done the same way - the polymer is wearing fine. No marks at all, and I take the compact in and out of a leather holster everyday. In fact, I had holster wear on the stock finish after just 2 weeks. It was a new holster, though, so that may have made it harder on the stock finish.

No wear at all since the refinish.

I did the polymer because the finish on the decocker button and the extractor was not super. And, I knew that with the hard chrome, those two items would show wear over time while the slide wouldn't.

The only thing I would have worried about would have been doing the slide AND the barrel. Other than that, I wouldn't worry too much about the tolerances.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Question

Did you have to dissasemble the slide yourself ?
I mean, take the extractor out of the slide... spring out of the decocker ?

Or do you just take the striker out and then send the slide in and they do the rest
?

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
All I did was take the front sight off and send the whole thing in. They disassembled the inside and then reassemble it. I left the rear sight on so they could hard chrome that little pin that holds the rear sight to the slide.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
cooool

Thanks for the info

1 - 13 of 13 Posts