Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have to punch out pins to replace the slide stop spring??? Or can you just sort of thread it through the opening to the hole when one end sits???

Since I have no knowledge or experience detail stripping the P99 I am hesitant to start punching out roll pins.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Yes you do. You have to remove the slide stop/take down assembly.

This is what I remember to start:

Unload the weapon and remove magazine (decock also)
Take the slide/barrel off
Then remove the slide release lever by prying one side of it over the pin that holds it on. Then do the same to the other side. The lever should pull right off then.
Then push down on the metal slide stop button, which will releave the tension on the pin that was holding the lever on. Push the pin out and slowly let up on the metal button, so as not to lose the spring.

After this, I can't remember what I did with out looking at the gun. I think there is a dowel pin that has to be removed and then the slide stop assembly can be removed and the new spring inserted back in with the assembly.

I'll check back when I get home and can look at my P99 so I'll know for sure. It's a fairly simple process.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I just looked at French Shooters link to the P99 parts view:

You need to remove (23) Barrel catch finger piece as previously described. Then push down on (28) Barrel catch assy to remove (27) barrel catch pin. Then release (28) slowly so the spring don't fly away on you, and remove.

You will have to remove (22) retaining pin and (26) slide stop pin. If I remember right (26) also serves as the trigger pin, so when you put it back together you'll have to jostle the trigger around to find the pivot hole.

After (26) is removed, you can then remove the whole slide stop assembly inside the frame. Watch to see how the spring was mounted and put the new spring in the same hole and lined up the same as the old one.

I'll try and log on from home tonight to see how you did and if you have any other questions. This way I'll have my P99 in front of me for reference

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. (It was part #30 French Shooter)
I am obsessive about my toys so I like to know about such procedures.  I read my first post and I see now it was unclear: my spring is still intact but surfing on this site has identified it as one weak point on the P99.  I'll copy the suggestions given and put it in the plastic case for the day I'll need to do it.  

Does anyone know of a detail strip manual or guide for the P99....this would let me do a detail clean every year or 2...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry I was a bit inattentive when I read the P99 parts. I should have found the slide stop spring myself.
Fortunately, Devin was more efficient than me !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts