Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I get older I'm finding that cycling the slide of the P99 is getting somewhat difficult. The serrations are very shallow and not very tall on the angular slides. Probably a little arthritis going on. Does anyone recommend any shops that would cut deeper serrations in the slide? The P99c is obviously a bit worse than the full size. Also, the older P99 and SW99 are not a problem with the more dense/sharper cuts.

Take care,

-Padawan

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi there,

How are you gripping the slide - do you pinch it, or grip overhand? (If not overhand, try that method.)
Yes i too have arthritis in my thumbs. I have to do overhand with my fingertips and the base of me left thumb. Works for me.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
'Pinch'. Short of finding a shop that would cut improved serrations... I found some aggressive 3M traction tape, cut approx 1/4" tall strips and attached them to either side of the slide. The abrasive nature of the strips is tough on holsters but makes gripping very easy now. YMMV and all that.

Take care,

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just wanted to chime in that I also feel the slide serrations on the p99c are wayyy too shallow and almost impossible to get any decent grip on. I have weak hands but the thing almost feels slippery. It's still probably my favorite overall polymer pistol even with it's very few imperfections

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
If you take some grip tape and cut it into thin strips you can fill the slide serrations. This will give them a much more aggressive bite for your hand to latch on to. I've done this with both the sandpaper grip tape and the rubber kind. Both work well for their indended purpose but there are some drawbacks.

First, on a carry gun it can catch on your clothing causing it to gradually ride up and expose the firearm.

Second, the hardest part of the project is cutting the tape into those tiny strips. Obviously your scissors will take a beating.

He's an example on my Kimber Stainless II 9mm. I've also got the same tape on the frontstrap.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
I find that the tapered in shape at the top of the slide is the culprit causing getting a good grip to be difficult. Not an issue for me but a 1911 shaped slide is much easier for me to grip. 1917

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
There is a thing I see once in a while in the NRA magazine about a little silicone set of legs that sit in the slide cuts. It is for a Glock in the advert, but I wonder if they make them for whomever you want?? Next time I see the advert, I will forward the information.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts