Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was getting ready to clean my P99 and after checking the chamber to make sure there were no rounds in it I started to remove the slide. As I am fairly new to firearms I tried to remove the slide with the clip still in (empty, but still in) and the slide came off but not smoothly and only after I pushed it harder than i should have (or think i should have at least).
Dont ask me why I did this, Ive had it a few months and I am always very safe with it, Ive got a great bud who helps me with it. My question though is, it seems to be in working order but should I have it looked at or is there anything i should worry about? I just dont want to be in a dangerous situation or one in which the gun could be damaged. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Great lesson learned here. If you have to use more force than necessary, something is probably wrong. So stop and figure out what it is.

Second lesson: There are no clips in most semi-auto's. They are called magazines. Clips are used to hold ammunition on a thin strip clip, in which the clip is used to load a magazine or directly into a firearm.

To answer your question: I doubt that you have damaged the gun. You may want to check the striker's "tab" that gets pulled back by the trigger mechanism. That's the only thing I can think of that would be damaged on the gun. The more likely damaged part is the magazine. And the only way to check it is to take the gun out and fire it. If you get failure to feed problems, it is probably the magazine.

Hope this helps. Now don't ever do that again!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
To this day I still find myself every now and then trying to take off the slide with a magazine still in it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi ninetynine,
I seem to keep saying this, but I've been registered on this board since 2002, my old username "kbc" got messed or something disabling login, so here I am, New Name.

I'll echo P88, compare the mag lips to a known good one.
The P99 is a very durable firearm.

Re: "clips", don't feel bad, the movies & tv use the term freely and incorrectly. The only correct useage with semis, that I know of, would be for the M1 Garand; these are "enbloc clips".
Magazines for ex. the AR15 mags, can be loaded with ammo on "stripper clips", as can the fixed box of a bolt rifle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts