Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The slide plate (or "end cap" according to the Walther Rep I spoke to over the phone) cracked on my BB date-code PPQ. The pistol currently had a little less than 6k rounds through it, but it was stolen a few years back and returned around a year later. I noticed the crack today after cleaning and lubing the pistol, during which time I also inspected the pistol. I don't know if the crack occured when shooting the pistol last, when the pistol was kept in around a 100 degree safe for around a month when I was on vacation, or if the crack was there for a while and it just now became big enough to notice. It looks like the slide plate is polymer molded around a metal subframe. As far as I can tell now without actually shooting it, the pistol looks like it would still function. But being that the slide plate holds the striker assembly in place, I'm not taking any chances and will replace it as soon as a replacement comes in.

I called Walther Arms and after a little confusion as to what part of which Walther pistol was broken, the rep offered to send me a replacement "end cap" within seven to ten business days. I've always seen and heard this part referred to as the slide plate. I'll keep the forum updated as to how this works out. Hopefully they send the right part, because the service rep seemed to think that I was calling about a cracked P22 slide.

This is the first breakage I've ever experienced on a Walther in around a decade and a half of owning at one point or another, a few P99 pistols, a PPS, and a PPQ. This also marks the first time I've ever had to contact Walther for service. I'll be carrying a CZ P-01 until the replacement "end cap" comes in.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I had a similar failure on my P99c - a hairline fracture in the plastic that was just big enough to notice. It did not seem to impact function at all (pretty sure I fired > 1K rounds with it that way with not noticeable problems), but Walther Arms sent me a new one at no cost when I mentioned it while ordering some spare recoil spring assemblies for my full size P99. No issues since, but I also haven't shot it very much since - these days, that gun gets carried a lot and shot very infrequently.

·
Premium Member
8,647 Posts
Do you mean part #20 on the exploded parts diagram?

I've never heard of that failure before. Can you post any pictures?

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I guess it depends on which parts diagram you are using, but it is #14 in the image above.

I'd like to take pictures, but my digital camera is broken. I can take pictures with my cell phone, but how would I get them uploaded to the internet?

This is one of the pistols that was stolen and then returned to me later. I'm not sure if it was damaged when it was out of my possession.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Can't see the image above for some reason. But yes, on my Tekmat it is #14 and identified as the "slide end cap". On the exploded view PDF from the carl-walther.com website it is the same name but is #20.

Have not heard of one of those ever failing until now.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Have not heard of one of those ever failing until now.
I've heard of a few, but not that many seem to have broken in the 22 years that the P99 was available, or the 8 years that the PPQ was available. Seeing this thread in the P99 section made me check mine, and lo and behold, mine was cracked.

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/p99/119292-gen-1-serial-format.html

Combining olstyn's P99c, rvr350's P99 in the link above, and my PPQ, and it is something that I would pay more attention to from now on if purchasing a 99-series pistol used.

·
Premium Member
8,647 Posts
I could see it in a P99 series weapon but I'd think it is much less likely in the Q series.

Now you made me go examine all my Qs and P99s that I don't frequent carry to see how they are faring...

Not the worst idea. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Yes, my M1 is also a BB date (2011). It looks OK. Need to check my 99c also.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts